Close

Default 85 5.0 Headers on an 83 5.0

I'd like to replace my 83 exhaust headers and I'd like to keep my dual snorkel air cleaner. My car is dual straight piped-no cats. Can I bolt on the 85 steel headers with the welded on heat riser connection? I know I'd be looking for the 4-1 as the 4-3 were for the vert. The original risers have long since rusted away and finding the replacement for a 1 year mod has been impossible and it doesn't seem to make any sense to do all that work for a cast iron exhaust.

I'm running an Edelbrock 1406 carb, the air pump was replaced with a bracket and the hoses to the air valve were removed. The EGR and pipe/hose to the back of the heads was removed and the holes plugged. Do I need the heat risers for better cold weather performance anymore?

I'd appreciate your comments and/or suggestions. THANKS!

FEP Senior Member

i do not miss the heat riser. get the 87 and up oem shorties. which makes it possible to install the 87 and up h pipe. the 85 is a one year only header and y pipe. not a true dual exhaust and next to impossible to find. imo

What he said. I tried to find exhaust for those off years and it just isn't happening. You may have straight duals now but I would bet having options going forward would be better. My dual snorkel now just pulls ambient off the shorties and the car runs great. Even when really really cold.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Thanks for your replies! I agree, the car seemed to run ok with ambient air even in the cold. I'm going to clean up the carb though because the car always seemed to stay at high idle longer than necessary. Maybe a simple carb clean will fix that. If not, i might consider a carb rebuild. Your thoughts? Thanks.

Hmm, I also need to replace the under hood pad.

I would look at the element and wires on your choke. Might just need a good cleaning.

My CFI (nothing like a carb cold circuit but it still uses the electric filament to get off of the absolute cold start super high idle cam) really milks the high idle (it stays on the advanced timing idle step til the engine temp sensor says it is really at 180ish) but I accept it as just a first go at computer controlled warm up from Ford.
    Last edited by emerygt350; 11-30-2022 at 07:50 PM.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Good suggestion. I'll check those connections.

I was always confused that the 4180 carb had an electric choke AND the dual air cleaner had heat tubes. I'm assuming that was just to get things going faster. The Edelbrock 1406 also has an electric choke. Your thoughts?

The 4180c uses a ~7 volt choke coil. There are 2 “heat pills” (resistors) under the coil that heat it up and open the choke. If one or both are failed, then it takes forever for the choke to open fully.

When cold, press the gas pedal and the choke should snap shut. After the engine fires and runs, it should idle at about 2200 rpm. Press the gas pedal and the vacuum diaphram pulls the choke to the next step on the camshaft to idle at about 1200 rpm. When fully warmed up it will idle at ~750 rpm.

There is a replacement shown on Amazon for $46. If yours has been rewired to 12 volts, then you’ll need to find a 12 volt choke coil they are out there.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Quote Originally Posted by 83glx50 View Post
    I'd like to replace my 83 exhaust headers and I'd like to keep my dual snorkel air cleaner. My car is dual straight piped-no cats.
    A bit OT to the Orginal poster...... Did you have any problems routing your exhaust around the rear brake hose??
    Looks like dual exhaust was not offered until 85, when ford changed the routing of the rear brake line....

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    A bit OT to the Orginal poster...... Did you have any problems routing your exhaust around the rear brake hose??
    Looks like dual exhaust was not offered until 85, when ford changed the routing of the rear brake line....
    The 85 5.0L exhaust had dual tips over the rear axle, but it came from a single exhaust y-pipe...it also had the 7.5 rear end. The 86 5.0L was the first year for both true dual exhaust as well as the 8.8 rear end, which is where the different routing of the brake line came to be...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by 83glx50 View Post
    Good suggestion. I'll check those connections.

I was always confused that the 4180 carb had an electric choke AND the dual air cleaner had heat tubes. I'm assuming that was just to get things going faster. The Edelbrock 1406 also has an electric choke. Your thoughts?
    The dual snorkel had the heat-riser tubes for one reason: Carburetor ice. When the engine is cold, the dry warm air from the headers gets directed into the snorkels to the carb. Each snorkel has a blend door that's vacuum-operated through a Temperature Vacuum Switch on the intake. When the coolant temp reaches a certain point (I had one that was 130) the TVS removes the vacuum to the blend door pots, and the spring-loaded blend doors open to ambient air temps. Most people who have had a daily-driver carb car and removed this system likely experienced carb ice at some point. Usually in colder temps with a lot of moisture. The ice forms on the throttle plates and in the venturi where the pressure (and temps) drop suddenly and the moist air makes ice on contact. Car runs like crap. If you shut the car off for a few minutes and try again it runs like a champ...the "warm" engine has melted the ice.

The choke has sort of a dual function, and the Eddy's will be no different in concept than the 4180. 1) the horn closes for airflow on initial startup. 2) the fast-idle cam keeps the engine at a higher rpm for a few moments to keep the car running during the warmup process.

There's also a vacuum timing advance function that utilizes the TVS "technology" to help cold idle.

My apologies if this is all "yeah...duh!" info.
    Last edited by grtskydog; 12-24-2022 at 11:23 AM.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    The 85 5.0L exhaust had dual tips over the rear axle, but it came from a single exhaust y-pipe...it also had the 7.5 rear end. The 86 5.0L was the first year for both true dual exhaust as well as the 8.8 rear end, which is where the different routing of the brake line came to be...
    Most of the prebent line stores show 87 up.... Was there a change to metric fittings in 87??
    IF I have problems with dual exhaust in my 83, I wonder if I could install an " 86 " brake line ( front to rear end).. I would have to install the correct bracket for the 86 up where the brake hose and the metal line on the body meet....
    Do any of you have apics of what that bracket looks like and where its attached to the body?
    Thanks