Close

Thread: Tire wear?

Default Tire wear?

greetings fellow cat drivers annndd pony drivers....i was wondering (uh oh)..i'm in the market for some tread and my last set of rubber only ran a good year. granted it's a somewhat daily driver, and i do driver her. but what is everyone running out there and is 1 yr the norm for performance tires? thanks......

Default tires

Everything depends on so many factors-- Type of driving, type of driving surface, inflation, alighnment specs, etc. I am running a set of Kelly HR directionals now. Not the best on the market, but I have a good 17000 miles on them now and the fronts are getting close. You say a year, but that can be a huge variance in miles. Even your cornering style can have a huge effect. Wear and fun are always going to be a tradeoff for longevity and mileage.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

are they wearing evenly, are they high speed high traction (and thus low tread wear) Beyond that I drive my car fairly hard, and have had the same Z-rated tires on it for about a year now, but it's only been about 6500 miles in that year.
    1985 Mustang 5.0 coupe - dad's
    1983 Mustang GT sold deeply missed
    1981 Mercury Capri sold, not so missed (too far gone)
    1991 LX 5.0 vert sold
    2000 GT 75 mm TB, PP upper plenum, CAI, x pipe w/flows, SCT xcal 2 with a BAMAchips custom tune

I've been runnin on BFGoodrich Radial T/As for about 2 years and my car is my daily driver, and I still have a good amount of tread left even though I do burnouts every now and then.
    1979 Mustang Indy 500 Pace Car
    Modified Mustangs Aug, 2006 Feature Car

2016 Shelby GT350

2015 F150 2.7 Ecoboost

FEP Senior Member

Tire wear is more measured in distance rather than in time.

Even so, there are way too many factors to guarantee a certain milage in every set of tires. Alignment, proper inflation, rotation, driving style. All can drastically affect your tire wear.
    Another factor is the type of tire you have.
    In order... S, T, H, V, Y, and Z speed rated tires have progressively softer rubber compounds and will last progressively shorter lengths.

Example... on my '86, my initial set of V rated Goodyears lasted me 1 year, but I put 21,000 miles on those tires in that year. I replaced those with some H rated BFGs that lasted almost 40,000 miles. I tried to replace those with a set of Z rated Dunlops that lasted me about 25,000 on very easy driving (no burnouts).

I've also ruined a set of H rated tires within 12,000 miles due to bad alignment.
    --John

One Owner '86 GT - Exhaust, Gears, Basics, otherwise stock.
    NOS - It's an abbrevation, not a word.

thanks for the response guys,
    the tires, khumos 712 I believe are z rated tires which had the capacity of 44lbs of pressure were pumped up to around 37-39 pounds. the tire wear came out evenly as one could ask for with rotation consisting of front -to back as directional tires are limited to. the alignment was professionatly done by a local suspension guru out here using my suspension get-up of cas/cam plates, k-member, tower ect..... when the tires were first bought my burn-outs were limited to little to none. i just feel that a year on $110.0 ea tires was somewhat costly and if i averaged out like everyone else. again i do drive hard to an extent and still do my burn-outs consiously on smooth roads. thanks guys i really appreciate it.....manny

I would expect more than a yr of tread left on an avg daily driven tire. (Unless there DR's)

Buy DR's! I can't wait to get a pr. I've never had them before, and hear nothing but good things about them. (Except they wear quickly)

Bottom Line: Totally depends on the car's purpose.
    1983 5.0L GT with a few bolt-ons

1966 Coupe (Project yet to be finished)

Default tire wear

You do have one other option with directional tire rotation. When my old tires (nankang vr's, stuck awesome, but no longer available since I purchased them) were about half way worn I had the tire shop dismount and flip the tires, letting me put the left tires on the right side and vise-versa. Hard cornering will often wear out the outside edges no matter how much negative camber, air pressure and such you run. It's one way to eake out the last bit 'o miles and it only runs what, $10 a tire or so? Plus they get rebalanced which is never a bad thing.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

DRs?
    Lee
    '79 Mustang Ghia 5.0 notch

FEP Senior Member

Drag Radials.

Both BF Goodrich and Nitto make some.

Basically they are a very soft compound low profile performance tire.

I used to own a set of McCrary G60s. Those worked very well too, but weren't low profile like DRs
    --John

One Owner '86 GT - Exhaust, Gears, Basics, otherwise stock.
    NOS - It's an abbrevation, not a word.

Drag Radials.
    Oh, gotcha. I do subscribe to 5.0 Mustangs; I'm just more into the open-track thing
    Lee
    '79 Mustang Ghia 5.0 notch