Close

Default 1986 Mustang AOD to T5 Swap

Hello Fox Mustang Experts!! I have a 1986 Mustang GT with a factory AOD with speed density (I plan to keep the speed density for now). Build date on door is 09/86 with VIN 326325.

I am in the process of swapping out the AOD for a T5. I am planning to keep/run the factory ECM for now, but do have a VM1 on the shelf that I could install.

I have the AOD transmission and pedal assembly out of the car. I wanted to dig into the dismantling before posting, so I had an idea about what wiring my car has and doesn’t have (and what I can't find).

For reference, the wiring harness going from the rear of the radio area through an 8 pin connector runs through the trans tunnel. I think it is wired as follows in this picture (I tried adding an attachment and wasn't successful). 2 wires go to the auto shifter. 2 wires to the VSS. 4 wires to the NSS.

I have read a lot of posts and haven't been able to figure out my wiring. Let me try to address my wiring related questions one at a time.

1. NGS – I have read that some 86 mustangs did not come with an NGS (neutral gear switch on the T5). Is this true? I have not (yet) purchased a T5 transmission harness that would run from the inside through the trans tunnel to the T5. I was planning on re-wiring my existing harness to make it work (but I could get a T5 harness if I need it). I’d like to keep the car close to OE. Do I need to purchase an NGS, install it on the T5 and then figure out where to wire it into the car by adding two wires to the harness? If so, where would it be wired to in the car? My 86 EVTM is difficult to read/follow and I haven’t been able to figure out how/where to wire it in. If I don’t hook up an NGS, will the car have any (hanging idle or other) issues? I ask because I read the below post in a thread:

The switch on the top cover of the T-5 is the Neutral Gear Switch (NGS) and only used to signal the PCM. The switch is operated by a small pin and a cam on the shift rail inside the top cover and is CLOSED in neutral and OPEN in all forward gears and reverse. In the CLOSED position is connects PCM pin 46 (NGS) to PCM pin 30 (SIGRTN). The PCM uses this signal - along with input from the VSS - to select proper idle and idle-down (dashpot) strategy. That is why you are having idling issue with it disconnected.

2. Starter clutch pedal & NSS – With the AOD pedal out of the car, I have not been able to locate any connectors that are supposed to plug into the clutch pedal switch assembly. There should be two connectors, one for the starter clutch pedal and one for the NSS. Some posts I’ve read indicate that they are “tucked under the dash over near where the clutch pedal hangs” but I have looked a couple of times now and cannot find any connectors that are not already hooked into the harness - meaning I don't see any male connectors that are waiting to be connected into the female slots in the clutch pedal switch assembly. Is it possible that my 86 mustang doesn’t have them? If it doesn't have them, any idea where I need to wire into to make the clutch pedal assembly work?

3. Cruise Control switch – I found the two prong connector near the back of the radio for this and will hook it up.

Thank you for any thoughts. I can provide pictures if needed (if I can figure out how to load them!).
    1986 Mustang GT
    1984 Mustang SVO

On all of the cars I've worked on all the harnesses were there (mostly 87/8 TurboCoupes). Typically the clutch connector had another wire plugged into it that jumpered the 2 wires together effectively shorting them. Then when swapping to the T5 the wiring harness that goes on the trans has the connections for the backup lights and has the 2 wires for the neutral safety switch jumpered together to effectively bypass it.

Read through this thread over on the Corral. Good info on your year swap starts at Post #13

Clutch safety switch - AOD to t5 swap | Ford Mustang Forums (corral.net)
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...1&d=1418488062
    '83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...2&d=1418488063
    '93 331W Mustang coupe that beat your mom's LTD

Big smile! I am the fellow that posted on Corral. They told me to come here because the 86 year is unique and they seem to be focused on 87+

I have been able to track down wiring diagrams and am getting closer to figuring out the 86 wiring. My goal is to have no codes and a smooth start up when I hit the key after the swap.
    1986 Mustang GT
    1984 Mustang SVO

Quote Originally Posted by teal95 View Post
    On all of the cars I've worked on all the harnesses were there (mostly 87/8 TurboCoupes). Typically the clutch connector had another wire plugged into it that jumpered the 2 wires together effectively shorting them. Then when swapping to the T5 the wiring harness that goes on the trans has the connections for the backup lights and has the 2 wires for the neutral safety switch jumpered together to effectively bypass it.
    Thanks for the reply. Do you have any pics of the connector that was jumped?

My aod harness has the wires for reverse lights and vss. I am fairly certain the 86 T5 did not have a neutral gear sensor, but have not yet confirmed this. My main goal is to get the wiring correct to make the clutch pedal switch operate correctly.

I have thoroughly gone through all of the wires under the 86 GT dash, kick panel and near the radio; there are no connectors that resemble the connectors that go into the clutch pedal switch. This has me puzzled.
    1986 Mustang GT
    1984 Mustang SVO

FEP Senior Member

i am pretty sure the 86 did have the sensor. my 85 oem does, and the one o got out of a 91 gt did also. (not sure if that was original). and if you look the part up it says "Fits 1983-1995 Ford Mustangs" which is not correct because my 85 and 91 sensor are two different diameter threads.

the clutch pedal is inline with the starter relay. cannot start unless the clutch pedal is depressed.

the 86 is kinda special because of the throttle body fuel injection.

good luck

Bob85gt — the 86 mustang EVTM which I have does not show any wiring for the neutral gear sensor.

If you do an aod to T5 swap, if there is no wiring for the clutch pedal switch, then there is no problem starting the car without the clutch pressed in. There are lots of folks that do the swap and don’t hook up the clutch pedal switch, and can start their cars dangerously. I want to properly wire the clutch pedal sensor so the clutch must be pressed before it will start. The problem I have is that my 86 GT (originally aod) car does not have the connectors for the clutch pedal switch. I am still studying and tracing wiring to figure it out. My 86 GT wiring does not exactly Match the 86 EVTM either. This 86 is very original and There is no sign of anyone messing with the wiring in the past. It is a mystery, but I am getting closer!
    1986 Mustang GT
    1984 Mustang SVO