Hello Fox Mustang Experts!! I have a 1986 Mustang GT with a factory AOD with speed density (I plan to keep the speed density for now). Build date on door is 09/86 with VIN 326325.

I am in the process of swapping out the AOD for a T5. I am planning to keep/run the factory ECM for now, but do have a VM1 on the shelf that I could install.

I have the AOD transmission and pedal assembly out of the car. I wanted to dig into the dismantling before posting, so I had an idea about what wiring my car has and doesn’t have (and what I can't find).

For reference, the wiring harness going from the rear of the radio area through an 8 pin connector runs through the trans tunnel. I think it is wired as follows in this picture (I tried adding an attachment and wasn't successful). 2 wires go to the auto shifter. 2 wires to the VSS. 4 wires to the NSS.

I have read a lot of posts and haven't been able to figure out my wiring. Let me try to address my wiring related questions one at a time.

1. NGS – I have read that some 86 mustangs did not come with an NGS (neutral gear switch on the T5). Is this true? I have not (yet) purchased a T5 transmission harness that would run from the inside through the trans tunnel to the T5. I was planning on re-wiring my existing harness to make it work (but I could get a T5 harness if I need it). I’d like to keep the car close to OE. Do I need to purchase an NGS, install it on the T5 and then figure out where to wire it into the car by adding two wires to the harness? If so, where would it be wired to in the car? My 86 EVTM is difficult to read/follow and I haven’t been able to figure out how/where to wire it in. If I don’t hook up an NGS, will the car have any (hanging idle or other) issues? I ask because I read the below post in a thread:

The switch on the top cover of the T-5 is the Neutral Gear Switch (NGS) and only used to signal the PCM. The switch is operated by a small pin and a cam on the shift rail inside the top cover and is CLOSED in neutral and OPEN in all forward gears and reverse. In the CLOSED position is connects PCM pin 46 (NGS) to PCM pin 30 (SIGRTN). The PCM uses this signal - along with input from the VSS - to select proper idle and idle-down (dashpot) strategy. That is why you are having idling issue with it disconnected.

2. Starter clutch pedal & NSS – With the AOD pedal out of the car, I have not been able to locate any connectors that are supposed to plug into the clutch pedal switch assembly. There should be two connectors, one for the starter clutch pedal and one for the NSS. Some posts I’ve read indicate that they are “tucked under the dash over near where the clutch pedal hangs” but I have looked a couple of times now and cannot find any connectors that are not already hooked into the harness - meaning I don't see any male connectors that are waiting to be connected into the female slots in the clutch pedal switch assembly. Is it possible that my 86 mustang doesn’t have them? If it doesn't have them, any idea where I need to wire into to make the clutch pedal assembly work?

3. Cruise Control switch – I found the two prong connector near the back of the radio for this and will hook it up.

Thank you for any thoughts. I can provide pictures if needed (if I can figure out how to load them!).