Close

Default Wagon v8 swap guys: spring suggestions?

84 LTD wagon- when I bought it it was already 5.0/5speed swapped-rode great and had a great stance. Now that I’ve blown it apart the rear springs look like they were sitting in the titanic and the fronts are filled with parts store screw-in spacers to keep the front end up with the additional weight.

I can’t find anyone who has a repo rear spring, everyone is out of stock. With the weight of a 302 up front, I was thinking perhaps to try some 87-93 mustang front Springs

So who’s done what? Looking for ride quality and a “driveable” stance
    86 Capri-84 LTD a wagon-85 notch-86 notch

You should be able to go to O Reilly’s and get some springs. Try to grab a front replacement set for an 84 LTD with the 5.0. Should be real close to the same as stock Mustang GT fronts. And then for the rear you can try some Fairmont wagon rears, should be listed as a stock replacement for the LTD wagon also.

Or you could step up to the the CC823 equivalent springs, there should be a recent thread on here that shows how they sit under a wagon and my sedan.

The thread is Comprehensive Rear Spring Guide for LTDs by KevinVarnes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

FEP Senior Member

This is the thread on the rear springs. http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...r-spring-guide

I was happiest with the CC823 (or equivalent) rear springs on my wagon.

I haven't had a chance to get into the front springs yet. I just put my car back together with the stock V6 springs for now. As wdanison43103 noted, the Mustang front springs (or LTD LX) springs should be a bit easier to sort out since the weight should be similar between the two cars up there. I don't know if anybody sells LTD LX specific front springs in the aftermarket. They kind of make one spring to fit several different applications (for stock style replacements). A lot depends on if you want it lowered or stock height.

I did purchase the OTC front spring compressor since I knew I would probably have the fronts in/out several times and I hate messing with springs. It takes some time to set up and it is expensive, but it made removing/installing front springs completely drama free.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

For what it’s worth, when I was redoing my front end I went ahead and put in coil overs instead of dealing with the stock death traps. Makes quite the improvement in how the front end rides.

Edit: I’m only running a 14/175 front spring too. Sits a little lower than I’d like so I’m probably going to switch to a 14/200 and some CC821 rears at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wdanison43103; 11-22-2022 at 09:41 PM.
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Thank you gentleman for you research, time, and input. I appreciate the help! Just ordered a rear set of cc823’s and I’m going to give a go with a set of low mileage stock mustang springs for the front. I’ll report back with height and ride quality when I get this thing together
    86 Capri-84 LTD a wagon-85 notch-86 notch