Close

Default Soon to be for sale: built .040 over sbf

Maybe this is weird?
    I am starting to build my next motor so will sell this motor that is currently in the car. It will be complete from intake to oil pan, no front dress as I plan to use it on the new motor. But, I have no idea what I should ask for a price. Thoughts?

.040 overbore 302 block
    Block is a 1970 vintage
    7-Qt oil pan
    Approx 10:1 conpression
    SFI approved steel flywheel
    28oz performance balancer
    Edelbrock performer aluminum intake
    Crane 268 cam
    Crower 'cam saver' lifters
    1.6 roller rockers
    Edelbrock aluminum E-Street 1.90 heads
    HEI dizzy
    BBK shorty headers
    About 8K on motor

I run pump premium gas and have even used some mid-grade fuel, never any knocking at all. Motor has never gone past 5000 RPM, though it can handle 6000.

Motor runs great, very strong, very torquey. It's ONLY issue: it is a two-piece rear main seal block that I didn't do quite right so it has an oil drip when running. Easy to pop the pan off and fix when the motor is out of the car.
    Got low 20's mpg on a road trip, could have gotten more .

What is a good asking price for this running motor? About $2000?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 11-30-2022 at 02:08 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Nobody has a thought about it's value?

83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

People will usually avoid a question like this so as not to run the risk of hurting any feelings or ruffling any feathers. Unfortunately, it is pretty tuff to get the value of your parts back when selling a used motor unless you really have killer upgrades done to the engine and even then, it's usually around .50 cents on the dollar and that's if you are lucky. I have sold a few motors in my day and usually the people that show up to look at the stuff are bargain basement jerkoffs that will offer you next to nothing for what you are trying to sell and hope you are desperate enough to take their pathetic offer. I have found in cases like this I will usually put the stuff on craigslist just to check the water and also post it on message boards such as this one and see if anyone is interested. As far as motor value goes, .50 cents on the dollar is usually a pretty good place to start and then go from there. You can try a higher price first, but you are going to find most people only show interest if they think they are getting a smoking deal. Keep in mind, what you are selling is used with no warrantee and these people are most likely not going to know you or trust what you say is true about the motor. You might find when all is said and done just keeping the motor as a backup or waiting for a friend looking to buy a motor is a lot less headache.

JMO
    Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Appreciate the thoughts.
    I know the investment is never returned and these aren't things I see for sale often around here. My main thing was as an opinion, what might folks ask if it was theirs for sale.
    I think I will just make a guess. To be honest I'd prefer to make someone a very good deal than get top dollar. My hope is to leave it in the car until I sell it. That way the new buyer can hear it start up from cold, hear it run, potentially even get a quick ride. Then pull it and send it on its way.
    Thanks!
    I hadn't thought about just throwing it in CL just to see what happens. Think I will do that, start a little high and go from there
    I should probably join FB at some point too I guess.

Last edited by richpet; 11-30-2022 at 01:37 PM.