Close

Post 1979 Mercury Capri 2.3 engine swap to 5.0 Brake booster question and hydroboost quest

Hello I have a 1979 Mercury Capri that had a 2.3 liter engine. I am currently swapping the motor for a 5.0. I have multiple questions.
    First the 5.0 engine going to have a "B" cam and is a mild build mainly for cruising and dependability.
    Second the brakes are rear drum and front disc originally from the 2.3 motor the car isn't going to be for any type of racing just mainly for cruising.
    Third do I need to get a new brake booster and master cylinder and brake lines for my Capri. The brakes line that are currently in the car are in excellent shape. Since I have the motor removed I figure I would make it easier if I replaced the booster.

And Finally I have a hydro-boost from a F body camaro laying around and I was going to put it on Facebook market place and sell it. But I figure i would ask if I could use it in the Capri. I will be purchasing a Eddie motor sports serpentine kit that comes with A/C, P/S W/P. The hydro-boost was used for disc/disc setup but I don't know if putting hydro-boost systems you need to know if its disc/disc setup or disc/drum setup like you would when you buy a brake booster kit. thanks if you need photos please feel free to ask and I can email them to you. In closing if i cant use the hydro-boost how much do y'all think I can sell it for. Thanks again for viewing my thread.

FEP Senior Member

Are you looking to upgrade the brakes themselves? I don't see a question in there. Probably the biggest question to ask is if you plan to stay four lug or are going to swap to five lug. That will guide you on what options you have for brakes.

I don't know anything about that F-Body hydroboost, but it doesn't sound like anything I would want to mess with. Just keep it simple with a conventional booster and master cylinder. There are plenty of options to allow you to get the right pedal feel.

Before you start buying parts, lay out a clear plan on what you want to do. You want to make sure that all of the components you use match up and work well together otherwise you can end up with worse braking performance than you have now.

There is plenty of knowledge on here to guide you down the path.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Thanks Kevin. If I don't have to upgrade the brakes and stay with the original brake booster and master cylinder then I stay with what i have. Yes staying with the four lug I have TRX rims. In closing, after researching on here and other forums Im just going to stay with brake booster and master cylinder and sell hydro-boost system.

As stated you don't have to change the brakes nor the booster. With that said, I will note that the OEM brakes from 79-86 are honestly not that good to begin with. If all you do is cruise and don't spend much time in heavy traffic, running on the interstate in traffic, then you are probably fine. Just understand that the stopping power is not great and most likely will be nothing like any other newer vehicle you currently drive.

If you plan on making any improvements in the stock braking, I would recommend just do it right from the beginning and get a set of 87-93 V8 spindles and install stock replacement 87-93 V8 calipers and rotors. Yes you will have to modify the hard brake lines and replace basically everything in regards to calipers, rotors, bearings, seals, pads, and hoses, but at least the braking performance will be adequate at that point. There are other benefits to the swap, but I will leave it at that for now. Good luck and enjoy your Capri!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

If you plan to stay four lug then check this thread out at the top of this section: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...e-Thread/page2

As Trey mentioned, the stock brakes on your car were maybe borderline capable in 1979, but they aren't very good by 2022 standards. His suggestion to upgrade to 87-93 V8 front brakes is a good one. I guess the question is what are you looking for from your brakes? If stock performance is fine then the V8 front brakes and upgrades to the rear drums along with braided stainless hoses might be enough to get you where you want to go. There are options for rear discs in four lug, but I'm not overly familiar with which parts you need to play well together. Just make sure you lay out a good plan and have a direction before you start buying parts.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

More than likely, your front brakes are the lowly 9 1/4" versions, just like my '79 coupe. While they 'worked' after a V8 swap, nearly every other stock Fox option is going to be better. Upgrading them to the 11" '87-93 V8 discs and spindles are better suited to handle the extra weight and allow you keep your 4 lug wheels.
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Marty View Post
    More than likely, your front brakes are the lowly 9 1/4" versions, just like my '79 coupe. While they 'worked' after a V8 swap, nearly every other stock Fox option is going to be better. Upgrading them to the 11" '87-93 V8 discs and spindles are better suited to handle the extra weight and allow you keep your 4 lug wheels.
    This was our experience. We upgraded our 79 V6 from the 9” front disks and I replaced the spindles and brakes with take offs from my 82 GT. Those were 10”.

I haven’t done the 87-93 upgrade but may on our other 79. It would be as easy as what I already did but I had the pets available.

I find no issues with the above stock set up. I don’t have large power but I find it does me fine. Mind you the car is under 2800 pounds dry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!