Close

Default what is the 'right' way to add more wires off the battery?

Hi,

With all the upgrades to make the car more usable, the stud on the starter relay is starting to look like a star burst, and I'm not sure I can get anything more on it, but need to run a wire for the fuel pump.

What I currently have: the stock wires, one for the fan relay, one for the headlight relay, one into the cabin for all the gauges there, one for the stereo. Soon one for the fuel pump.

The negative ground is almost as bad, but that is already a long bolt so I _could_ replace it.

If I wanted to take this all apart and do it 'right' what do I need? A single insulated stud? Some kind of junction block? Any pictures of where others have mounted their solution?

Thanks,
    Chris
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

FEP Power Member

The first Gen mustangs added another terminal block for the convertibles at the starter solenoid. The Fox body my have one as well. I have not looked at one recently. Today's add on might be more of a fuse block which adds fused protection. I the many use this idea with the 3G alternator. I hate the look of the battery terminals with extra wires hanging off even if it is designed that way.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

The aftermarket sells insulated bus bars with anywhere from 4 t0 10 or more terminals. Some are fused, some are covered, some have a ground strip as well. 90's S10/S15s had a 5 terminal bus bar under the hood if you like to pick around in junkyards. The marine/boating aftermarket has a lot of this kind of stuff.

I went with this style on the LTD. Has a lot of connection points, but needs limited space being round.

86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Thanks. I've ordered a couple of bus bars. I'll post up some pictures once I get them installed.
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

FEP Supporter

That's nice and clean OX1! Very functional too!
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    That's nice and clean OX1! Very functional too!

Thanks. One fuse is the main feed going to re-wired fuel pump wiring/relay and the other is main power for aftermarket 5.0 harness. I wanted to make them real easy to get to.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

I saw some really nice post style battery clamps with multiple screw in connectors on a youtube video.... Can't tell you what brand but base on how nice these were it would be an option to google.....