Close

Default Question about '86 GT hood stripe (no, not about color) :-)

Hi Guys,

I just recently purchased this black '86 GT. What got me thinking is that the hood stripe does not have the "GT" call out. I have also included the Marti report which shows it is option 1 for the stripe package. I have another car which has option 2 that is the cutout.

I think there are 4 options for the GT hood stripe: No GT callout, white GT callout, GT callout is cut out to display the color of the car and stripe delete. Does anyone have a clear understanding of what is what? Thanks in advance.

Name:  357623512_6637239529695257_8924994904868074636_n.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  253.4 KB

Name:  marti.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  243.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks legit to me.

From what I understand, on black cars the stripe was solid, and there's an additional decal that goes on top for the "GT" (in your case, silver, along with the rear deck decal) since the black body wouldn't contrast very much.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 08-20-2023 at 07:37 AM.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by ITdude87 View Post
    From what I understand, on black cars the stripe was solid, and there's an additional decal that goes on top for the "GT" (in your case, silver, along with the rear deck decal) since the black body wouldn't contrast very much.
    Is that an '86 thing only?

My black '85 had the gray hood decal with the "GT" cut out, like the pic below.

1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

The only option for the hood was to delete the stripe completely, in model year 1986 only. Otherwise, you could not choose to delete the cutout or get a different color decal on the hood or hatch/trunk. The cutout (or none, with a decal instead, on 1C cars) was standard and there was no deviation.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags