Close

Default New technology does have advantages

Co-worker picked up his new Mach-E on Monday after waiting 8 or 9 months. And, not that this has anything to do with electric cars. He lives on a back lane, small development that’s more farm country than anything.

Pulling out of the lane onto the main road, a deer jumped out in front of him as he was looking the other way, and the deer fell down. Hoofs on asphalt are not a good match, The Mach-E stopped before he even knew what was going on. No damage to car, no damage to deer.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

FEP User

Where i live most of the cars have that stopping / braking technology . Car will stop when something is in front of car or behind car . The deer population has exploded in the city . So the cars stop and cannot get going again until the deer feel like moving . Now the deer think all cars will stop for them ! not so , when i show up in my older cars . Is this technology just for those that do not want to have to pay attention to looking out the windshield . The driver can now look at their phones more ! or do not have to take any responsibility for hitting a pedestrian , cars responsibility to stop not mine ! down town crazy people push shopping carts in front of cars , the car stops then they ask for money . great technology !

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamCapri View Post
    No damage to car, no damage to deer.
    That's good stuff! To know these systems/that one can act on/detect an animal is pretty cool!
    '85 GT

I love the new tech, I just hate it when people get lazy and rely on tech to do their driving job for them.
    I taught LE pursuit driving for more than 20 years. The tech is great - but it is there for a whoops/missed something/made a boo- boo. When people relax too much, rely on the tech, they become a problem. The issue is so many people are lazy and decide to stop driving and rely on the tech. It's a people problem. But the gov't throws money at the tech instead of the real problem.
    Glad the system saved your friend and the deer! Crap happens! THAT is what that tech is for.
    It's too hard to type here, but I could go on...

Stepping off of the soap box now.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 11-13-2022 at 12:28 AM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

New tech is great, until car gets a bit older and you have tons of stuff that's eff's up. Just went through this with mom's 09 Grand Marq. The "lights" module keeps turning on when car is parked. Not the end of the world, but dad passed and it is now a second car so it sits a lot. Goes from 61 to 255 ma when module is on, which kills batt in less than a week.

What is causing it? Who the heck knows with so many inputs to it. Could be even a cranky interior door light switch. Tried new Ford module just for S & G. No change and that thing was impossible to find, and over $300. Inspected as much wiring/connectors as I could get to. I also have an Autel bi-directional, fairly high end scanner (with live data), but that does not tell you which input to the module is the one that is turning it on. So I put 1000ma solar batt charger mounted to rear deck. Problem sort of solved.

Not sure on the architecture of the new stuff. Maybe if they just use one processor that controls everything, at least you only have one spot to look (vs inter module communication errors, which even new Ford's have in abundance, at least up through 2017, which our "new" escape had 11 of them with 100 miles on it).
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Was heading out last night in the 2016 Renegade went to turn on a dome light and hit the 911 button instead.
    Had to wait that the loose nut behind the wheel was the emergency.
    Traded our 05 Volvo with lots of toys. For 2 years ran without all wheel drive because there was a communications
    fail between something and the ABS control. $3000 or so for Volvo to solve it. or send it to an EBayer that will
    fix the unit for about $200. Research showed it was a common problem with a failed solder joint.
    An easy fix but you have to saw it in half to do it. Traded it in for the Renegade. I miss the heated seats right now.
    The Renegade has all the toys, even has a heated steering wheel. I think I'm driving a snowmobile not a Jeep.
    My wife keeps hitting something that changes everything to metric. Have to reset it for her. Freaked her out the first time
    the speedo read 100.
    As for tech, my biggest hate is traction control. I can see getting halfway into an intersection it kicks in, starts shutting the
    engine down, creates a lag in my response, and I get t-boned. Bad roads that gets shut off.
    As said before you have to think when you drive. If you don't want to think, hail a cab.
    And find the dome light switch before you need it.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Been watching NY mega snow event.
    All kinds of vehicles stranded. Many are simply are an ignoramus.
    Geez in this day and age, a pure lack of knowledge and experience.
    "Oh its ok we have a cell phone for emergencies like this."
    Tech and cell phones cannot cover lack of common sense and situation awareness.
    Or ignoring warnings.

Why were so many semis out and now block roads?
    I hope someone fines the companies for pushing them to stay out there.
    Independent truckers have no excuse. Give them a big ticket for blocking traffic.
    If they are supplying plants or warehouses its a waste because they will be closed.
    They would not be penalized for missing their window times.
    Cant shut a plant down if its closed anyway.
    Same mistakes over and over.
    You would think one would have taken a big hint from Floridians about big storms and being prepared.

New User

Thats why I drive a 23 Camry... it's saved me a couple times.