Close

Default Torquing Headers

So, I'm going to install my headers soon, and I would like to know what you guys do when you install yours. I'm using Ford Racing GT40P shorty headers, and it doesn't seem right to just torque them to manufacturer spec for manifolds. I'm looking at what Mr. Gasket suggests for installing new gaskets, they say to torque them with either "oil" or "moly". What oil? What is "moly"? I've installed my headers numerous times and never used either. Granted, this past time they leaked so that's why I'm doing them now.

I don't know. Lately I've been second guessing everything. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I think moly might be the ARP lubricant?

https://www.amazon.com/ARP-100-9903-.../dp/B000CFQ386

And oil could be motor oil?
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Okay. That is just so weird because I've never heard of doing that with ANY bolts short of ARP themselves. They're all acting like it's something everyone always does, but.... not so much.

Do you use those on header bolts?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Supporter

Do yourself a favor and go buy a half moon box end wrench in whatever size your header bolts are. Install them with a touch of anti-seize as tight as you can reasonably go without snapping them off. Run the car a time or two and retighten. Then do it again. Every few months after (if you've been running the car) check them again like you would all the other stuff.

These look interesting.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-910121/make/ford

You can also use safety wire to lock them down.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-100-1203
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swkzKx4989U
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Okay. That is just so weird because I've never heard of doing that with ANY bolts short of ARP themselves. They're all acting like it's something everyone always does, but.... not so much.

Do you use those on header bolts?
    I don't personally.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I do have Stage 8 locking bolts. They're a bit tricky though because you're limited by where the flats are. If one isn't lined up, what do you do? Tighten in and have uneven pressure on the flange, or loosen it and potentially have a leak? It makes it a hassle to go back and re-tighten several times too. Depending on how it goes with the locking washers, I might just take them all off and use the normal lock washers that were included with the gaskets.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

The hex-shaped holes in the Stage 8 washers are clocked 15 degrees or so from the flat so that if they don't fit against the primary tube one way, you can flip them over and they usually will. I didn't realize this until the 2nd or 3rd time I had my headers off and started reinstalling the washers. During the original installation I actually (stupidly) hand fit them all with a file. I doubt the filing would have been necessary had I noticed the offset from the beginning.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    So, I'm going to install my headers soon, and I would like to know what you guys do when you install yours. I'm using Ford Racing GT40P shorty headers, and it doesn't seem right to just torque them to manufacturer spec for manifolds. I'm looking at what Mr. Gasket suggests for installing new gaskets, they say to torque them with either "oil" or "moly". What oil? What is "moly"? I've installed my headers numerous times and never used either. Granted, this past time they leaked so that's why I'm doing them now.

I don't know. Lately I've been second guessing everything. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I have had the same headers on mine for several years now with no issues. I installed them with the 12 point bolts they came with. I didn't use any lube...or anything else for that matter...then just got them really tight. I think one thing that contributes to them loosening up is engine torque which puts stress on the exhaust system. So my motor mounts are fairly new and are the stronger vert units given it's a vert...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by 85MUSTANGTGT View Post
    The hex-shaped holes in the Stage 8 washers are clocked 15 degrees or so from the flat so that if they don't fit against the primary tube one way, you can flip them over and they usually will. I didn't realize this until the 2nd or 3rd time I had my headers off and started reinstalling the washers. During the original installation I actually (stupidly) hand fit them all with a file. I doubt the filing would have been necessary had I noticed the offset from the beginning.
    I did that too, haha.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I just tighten them with a short wrench (the bolts I’ve used have been either 10mm or 3/8”) and just got them to where I. Can’t turn them anymore. Drive for it for while and check, repeat until they no longer work loose.

I also use the aluminum 1 piece header gaskets and haven’t had any issues on the LTD with 2 different sets of headers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Use Allen heads on those manifold bolts and save yourself some nightmares.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.