Close

Default Edelbrock upgrades for an 83 GLX 5.0

My 83 GLX 5.0 T5 Coupe currently has a Edelbrock 1406 carb that probably needs a rebuild. I'm considering going Edelbrock Performer top end, i.e., Performer intake, E street heads, Performer plus cam. It's not a daily driver but will get regular/weekly use. Not concerned with HP. More concerned with driveability and mileage. It will probably never be driven hard or raced. It's fun! I'd like your thought and comments. Also would like header suggestions. Thanks!

BACKGROUND: PO swapped out the 4180C for the 1406. Replaced the smog pump with a bracket. Air valve still in place with connections but not the larger inlet and outlet tubes. No EGR valve or connections. Tube to the back of the heads removed and heads plugged. Rear end replaced with an 8.8. True dual pipes. No cats.

If you don't care about power, why spend $1500+ on mods?
    Lol.
    I like the E-Street heads. Great for a mild car.
    I had good luck in the past with a Holley Street Avenger carb (on my old '83 hatch).

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I considered going back to OEM but it would cost 500 for a 4180 since I don't have a trade in. Another 100-150 for a smog pump and more for an EGR valve. I'd be spending almost a grand to get 175hp.

I have the 1406 installed and it could use a rebuild. I have no history on it. I'm thinking as long as i'm in there, I can upgrade and get more power. More power doesn't hurt but i'm going to spend my weekends cruising. Thanks.

All good!
    Doing a few mods can become a bottomless pit. For example, if you do that whole top end, how many miles and in what condition is the bottom end?
    If the car has well over 100k on it, depending on how it was driven/maintained prior to your ownership, then the bottom (bearings, rings, etc) might need attention. Then you'd potentially be doing it all over again.
    If it runs great, no smoke, no noises, etc , perhaps just a good carb rebuild and tune up is all you need. Then, plan for a rebuild/build up down the road?
    These are just thoughts as we've all been in this same place. I'd just hate to see a fella (or lady, or whatever) dump a couple grand on a top end just to find out 10k later that the bearing we're getting bad or the rings are not so good.

83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

You're going to throw alot of money at it going that route with not much to gain. I've been really happy with the direction I went when I was doing the same...only difference is I kept the 4180c with annular boosters which feels like fuel injection after mods. The big expense will be the heads you're looking at. You can pick up a set of GT40 or better yet GT40p (no emissions and smaller combustion chambers) heads for alot less money with the same results. The bottle neck will be that intake...much better choices out there. If that power plant was a roller cam I'd say get after it...but you'll have to tear into the front timing chain cover...which is not a bad idea as it may not be tight and need replacing. So now you're looking at cam and lifters while the stock cam isn't all that bad...especially if advanced a little.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Really great comment. it has 100k on it. PO took very good care or it. Never driven hard. When I got it, about 6-7 years ago, I had the engine out, everything cleaned up. Has worked very well.
    I think you are right. Let's start with a carb rebuild and a tune up and see where it goes from there. Thanks!

I picked up 3bar gt40s, headers and duals, egr plate (from 4 to 2 adapter for CFI), performer intake, cam wasn't much (but limited due to cfi). I picked up 60 hp from stock. I am still running CFI though. I suspect going modern injection or a four barrel might give me a few more horses even with my SD cam.

Sadly, I think with an 83 you really need to do the whole lot to take advantage of the one big change (the cam). No matter what, making a difference on that is going to not be cheap. Not expensive, but not cheap.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

I really wish I had the 4180C. I probably would have it rebuilt and be happy but I am where I am :-)

I was seriously considering a better intake, but that didn't seem to make much sense if I didn't to the heads and headers. Your thoughts? Thanks.

Without changing the heads, I bet your intake is perfectly fine for what you have. Compression, heads, and cam are really the fundamentals. You will need better exhaust and heads (from stock) if you want to take complete advantage of those changes. Exhaust and intake without those changes will only get you a little boost (25max).
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

"Sadly, I think with an 83 you really need to do the whole lot to take advantage of the one big change (the cam). No matter what, making a difference on that is going to not be cheap. Not expensive, but not cheap."
    Thanks. I think I'm beginning to understand that. So, the options are moving forward in small steps or taking a big leap.

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    Without changing the heads, I bet your intake is perfectly fine for what you have. Compression, heads, and cam are really the fundamentals. You will need better exhaust and heads (from stock) if you want to take complete advantage of those changes. Exhaust and intake without those changes will only get you a little boost (25max).
    Good comment about the exhaust and heads. Hmm, I'd really also like to get rid of the rusty exhaust manifolds. but considered it something to do after heads. Could I do it sooner rather than later? Do I need to be concerned about how parts match? Thoughts and recommendations please.

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    If you don't care about power, why spend $1500+ on mods?
    Lol.
    I like the E-Street heads. Great for a mild car.
    I had good luck in the past with a Holley Street Avenger carb (on my old '83 hatch).

h
    Sorry, I didn't answer this :-) I'd love to make more power but I'm not using HP as a goal, i.e., "I want 300hp", to make choices. What would you consider a "mild" car. Thanks!

All you need to do is make sure you are not limited by the type of head you might go for. 3bar gt40s you can use whatever you like. Gt40p requires a very specific header. Afr and the rest of the after market should be fine with whatever you choose.

I assume you won't mess with the intake at this point but if you do, definitely think about what you are looking for. If it's street fun, then dual plane goodness like the performer is great. If it is drag stuff and high rpm horsepower you might be looking at an air gap or something. Intakes are not that expensive so I wouldn't stress over it.
    Last edited by emerygt350; 11-11-2022 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    All you need to do is make sure you are not limited by the type of head you might go for. 3bar gt40s you can use whatever you like. Gt40p requires a very specific header. Afr and the rest of the after market should be fine with whatever you choose.

I assume you won't mess with the intake at this point but if you do, definitely think about what you are looking for. If it's street fun, then dual plane goodness like the performer is great. If it is drag stuff and high rpm horsepower you might be looking at an air gap or something. Intakes are not that expensive so I wouldn't stress over it.
    GT40p heads will work with more headers than people give them credit...I have them and have had several pairs of headers on them. Most will work but you'll need to install different spark plug wires with 90* boots on a couple plugs. I think all long tubes will work from what I remember, though I have only had shorties on mine. The cheap Ebay stainless shorty headers will work with no modifications, as will the old Ford Racing stainless shorties...which is what I have now and won't be chaning...if you can find them. However, the advantage of the GT40p heads is the smaller combustion chambers...which will produce more compression...though the GT40 units can be milled down to get close. The other difference is the GT40p heads don't have the emission plumbing on them given they are more effiecient.
    HAD

HAVE
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by 83glx50 View Post
    I really wish I had the 4180C. I probably would have it rebuilt and be happy but I am where I am :-)

I was seriously considering a better intake, but that didn't seem to make much sense if I didn't to the heads and headers. Your thoughts? Thanks.
    Yes, but the factory intake manifold is the biggest bottle neck on the intake side of that engine...

Quote Originally Posted by 83glx50 View Post
    Good comment about the exhaust and heads. Hmm, I'd really also like to get rid of the rusty exhaust manifolds. but considered it something to do after heads. Could I do it sooner rather than later? Do I need to be concerned about how parts match? Thoughts and recommendations please.
    I would also look at doing the heads...a set of fresh GT40 (milled to up compression with good springs), or a set of fresh GT40p (with a good set of springs)...and install some 1.7 ratio rocker arms so you are effectively getting more lift out of that stock cam. Go ahead and get rid of those rusty exhaust manifolds as they are the biggest restriction on the exhaust side, and get some headers on it. This will set you up fairly economically...as compared to that Edelbrock package...and still be able to expand on later down the road should you want a better cam which will breathe better and let you air it out above the stock redline rpms. With the stock cam you'll also retain everyday driving manners and mileage.

So my suggestion is to rebuild your carburetor, install a better intake manifold (dual plane high rise, or just add an open spacer), install GT40/GT40p heads with 1.7 ratio rocker arms (use the bolt down type so no modifications has to be done to the heads), install some headers (might need some minor modification to the exhaust where it bolts up), and be done for now...
    HAD

HAVE

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    Yes, but the factory intake manifold is the biggest bottle neck on the intake side of that engine...
    I have heard this before.... I reused the intake from my 83 mustang on my Explorer motor due to not wanting any hood clearance problems
    What is so bad about the 83 intake??

For what its worth, on a Camaro website I frequent, there was a long discussion from many different people who use a single plane intake on their SBC cars... They claim the car idles better and runs smoother over all...... In all of my years, single plane intakes are not supposed to work on the street very well, but the camaro thread made me think differently for the future maybe......

Yeah, for the little power we are discussing I would just go with whatever makes you happy. I have a dual plane performer, it is awesome for the application. I want my car to be what Shelby would have actually sold as a gt350 in 1984. That means a customer would have been happy with it off the show room floor. It idles perfectly at all temps, never does anything weird and screams when I put the throttle to the floor.
    Last edited by emerygt350; 12-03-2022 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    I have heard this before.... I reused the intake from my 83 mustang on my Explorer motor due to not wanting any hood clearance problems
    What is so bad about the 83 intake??

For what its worth, on a Camaro website I frequent, there was a long discussion from many different people who use a single plane intake on their SBC cars... They claim the car idles better and runs smoother over all...... In all of my years, single plane intakes are not supposed to work on the street very well, but the camaro thread made me think differently for the future maybe......
    The 83-85 intakes are not high rise units but do somewhat respond to a phenolic spacer. It's the small dimension of the intake ports where the bottle neck is. Comparing the SBC to the SBF of that era is apples to oranges...look how the exhaust and intake ports are located...but yes, single plane intakes typically breathe better on the big end...
    HAD

HAVE