Close

Default White Smoke Under Hard Acceleration But Only Between 25-45mph/2nd-3rd Gear?

Not sure if i should put this here or in General area of forum.
    I took the Mustang out today to put some drive time on it and it runs great, idles smooth and exhibits none of the running problems it had before i rebuilt the distributor and replaced the tfi module.
    Im getting what looks like white(possibly grey) smoke under hard acceleration usually over 3000rpms and in boost but only while doing so in 2nd and 3rd gears. At highway speeds i get nothing no matter how hard i gun it in 3rd gear and up. It left black soot all over the passenger side of the rear lower bumper. Just for reference the tailpipe is on the drivers side.
    It definately smells like oil, the smell filled up the interior despite top down but not blue at all its not appearing to be motor oil because i checked that a few times and its bang on the mark still.
    I havent "crawled" under it yet but nothing is leaking on the ground from it so far and cursory glance underneath showed nothing either.
    Im going to try to go back tomorrow and get it on some ramps to look it over but wanted some input on what else i should check other than the transmission fluid level and tailshaft seal.
    Last edited by 1984GTTurboVert; 11-08-2022 at 09:12 PM.

Default Blowing out the carbon we used to call it

Keep monitoring fuel mileage, oil and coolant fluid levels. If engine is consuming, level will eventually drop.
    May be just a normal rich fuel mix in a specific area of the power curve.
    Monitor color of spark plugs from regular driving. Tan is ok.

Have owned the 79 2.3T Cobra since 1980. Turbo engines can do mysterious things consistently or not.
    They tend to use more oil than a n/a 2.3. Or smoke under certain driving conditions as described.
    On mine, the tailpipes are always black since the factory carb is calibrated rich for safe a/f under turbo boost.
    Still gets ave 20 mpg but will rejet down a bit next year.
    When my car's turbo compressor side seal suddenly let go, it blew out massive smoke under accel.
    100 miles per gallon.. of oil.
    Was constantly smoking so much could not drive it during the day in traffic!
    Since disconnecting the turbo, engine is n/a, engine does not burn oil.
    2k since repair have not used a quart yet. Engine overall has run normal before and after.
    I do not miss having boost available and surly not the grief and expense.
    Was cool to have it and hear it, but is not a big part of my driving style and enjoyment of driving these cars.
    Fuel economy. low maintenance and reliability are priority.
    Nitrous would prob do the same power boost.

So i got the car on my shortie ramps and crawled under the car to see whats going on and the scenario "appears" to be this. It doesnt appear to be coming from the transmission tailshaft or driveshaft seal.

It looks like oil is coming from my oil return, running down it to the heater tubes and down the starter to the bottom of the motor and running along the trans case and spraying at the catalytic convertor.
    I wouldve assumed this would be smoking all the time if thats whats going on.
    Guess ill have to start with replacing the return line sooner than i wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Keep monitoring fuel mileage, oil and coolant fluid levels. If engine is consuming, level will eventually drop.
    May be just a normal rich fuel mix in a specific area of the power curve.
    Monitor color of spark plugs from regular driving. Tan is ok.

Have owned the 79 2.3T Cobra since 1980. Turbo engines can do mysterious things consistently or not.
    They tend to use more oil than a n/a 2.3. Or smoke under certain driving conditions as described.
    On mine, the tailpipes are always black since the factory carb is calibrated rich for safe a/f under turbo boost.
    Still gets ave 20 mpg but will rejet down a bit next year.
    When my car's turbo compressor side seal suddenly let go, it blew out massive smoke under accel.
    100 miles per gallon.. of oil.
    Was constantly smoking so much could not drive it during the day in traffic!
    Since disconnecting the turbo, engine is n/a, engine does not burn oil.
    2k since repair have not used a quart yet. Engine overall has run normal before and after.
    I do not miss having boost available and surly not the grief and expense.
    Was cool to have it and hear it, but is not a big part of my driving style and enjoyment of driving these cars.
    Fuel economy. low maintenance and reliability are priority.
    Nitrous would prob do the same power boost.
    The tailpipe is cleaner than the one on my daily driver amazingly, no soot at all even with the poor shape the car was in mechanically before i got it.