Close

Default Starter very slow when engine is hot

Does anyone else ever had an issue that when you go to restart your car after driving for a while that the starter is very slow and has a hard time turning the engine over? If the engine is cold, it turns over rather quickly. Not sure if the starter is getting hot or a bad starter solenoid. Battery is fine, I have changed timing all over the place and it still does it. It has been a problem for a very long time. I have BBK shorty headers on the car, other than that the engine is pretty much stock.

Thanks for any help
    1986 ACS McLaren Capri
    1971 Mustang
    1968 F100

I would check the ground on the solenoid first (take it out, clean up all the contact areas including the fender, reinstall). After that I would start to suspect the starter. Mine had some weirdness like that and it did turn out to be the ground on the solenoid but that was a little more intermittent than just simply warm engine. I have had bad starters do that on other old fords. Scale of PIA though I would definitely rule out the solenoid first just because it is cheap and easy however unlikely.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Not uncommon. Often referred to as heat soak. Also, Ford starters seem to get tight/slow as they wear out it seems. A little corrosion causes more resistance to spinning, that kind of thing.
    Do check and clean all the grounds and connections to start.
    As mentioned, the selenoid can also be a culprit for similar reasons.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 11-02-2022 at 12:09 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Mine did the same.
    It's replaced with an SVE brand PMGR starter when the gear started to slip/ grind over the teeth of the flexplate. Apparently it turned too slow to engage the gears in the end.
    The new one spins the motor a lot faster than the 44 year old one.
    Don't wait to long and become stranded (too).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2219 met Tapatalk

Simple things first... Check and clean ALL battery connections and check cables.. They can corrode from the inside... How old are they??? Have your battery load tested.....

I had the same issues and after changing out the battery cables it went away. The negative had about an inch of bare wire down by the block.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Mine did the same.
    It's replaced with an SVE brand PMGR starter when the gear started to slip/ grind over the teeth of the flexplate. Apparently it turned too slow to engage the gears in the end.
    The new one spins the motor a lot faster than the 44 year old one.
    Don't wait to long and become stranded (too).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2219 met Tapatalk
    Same, replaced with a high torque starter (don't remember brand). Works good real hot, even if battery drained down some.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )