Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Cobra brakes spare tire.

I tried searching, but I didn't see an answer to this question. Obviously when changing to 13" Cobra front brakes a larger spare tire is required to clear the caliper. Certainly one option is to purchase a used Cobra spare tire which seem to sell for quite a bit of money on ebay. Not a lot of Cobras in the junkyards by me so that isn't an option.

I see that LMR sells the Ford 2015-2021 Mustang spare kit and shows it for '79-'22 model years.
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-1K007C/15-1...waAn8AEALw_wcB

Given that, might one interpolate that a '05-'14 Mustang spare tire would also work on the fox body cars (of course with the five lug swap)? I saw a spare in an '08 Mustang at the junkyard today. It was a 155/70R17. It's a little taller than my 225/50R16 tires, but not bad. I test fit it on an '03 Mustang with the dual piston calipers and it seemed to fit fine. Obviously not the same as the Cobra brakes, but I didn't feel like paying $40 for a worn out spare tire just to test it out. It seems like this could be a good/cheap option for Cobra brakes. Has anyone used one of these spares on their car?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

If you are ever in the Northwest Indiana/Chicago area, I have a new 04 Cobra spare I could let go for cheap. I never tried the newer spares.
    2017 Lincoln MKZ AWD
    2003 Town Car
    2017 GTI
    Currently Foxless

My solution isn’t cheap but gives me a spare that fits the brakes, tire well and can be run long distance at speed without worrying about the limits of a 50 mph for 50 miles temp tire. Using a 17x4 Vision 561 aluminum wheel with Mickey Thompson sportsman s/r 26x6-17 tire. As a street legal front runner tire it has serious tread and multiple plies so distance and speed not an issue. Got caught with flat on way to car show with 50 miles of mountain driving ahead and 50 miles back to tire shop to get home. Return trip was stressful and had to throw out the temp tire. Temp spares aren’t a good solution if you long haul in rural areas with oddball tire sizes (18s) and have deadlines to make. My new spare can go the distance and be reused multiple times.
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT
    Popular Hot Rodding Project Car '83/84

1983 Capri 331 ci, TKO600

FEP Senior Member

Hi Steve. Thanks for the input. I've seen references to that setup in a few other threads. Does it fit in your spare tire well?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP Power Member

You can put the regular spare tire on the rear when you have a flat on the front and put the rear tire on the front. Extra jack time but if you are in a bad way and dont have super big tires on the rear it will get you home.
    Kendal

Kevin, yes it fits. The B78-14 was the common spare tire size and todays equivalent is a 185/70-14 which has a 24.3 diameter and 7.4 section width….effectively the outer dimensions of the tire. “Package”. The MT SR 26/6 is 26 in diameter with a 6 inch section. The 26 fits snuggly but the shallower section lets it ride slightly above the tightest radius of the well without pushing the tire cover up. I needed the 26 to work with my 25.7 diameter tires. I’ll take a pick tomorrow since the car isn’t here.
    looks like your 225/50/16s are 25” tall so I think your within spec but could deflate a bit or rotate as Kendall suggests if you need to protect a posi gear set.
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT

1983 Capri 331 ci, TKO600

Pics below. Blue is 83 Capri running cobra brakes with KDezines rear seat delete. Assembly fits flat. This set up was bought for this car.

Red is in 83 Mustang GT with stock pressboard cover. Red car is stock brake 4 bolt with 16 x 8's and 245/50/16s so I have to run a 6 inch steel wheel spare with a 185/55/15 spare that is at least 1 inch higher than floor. The 17 inch assembly fits flat all around except last 8 inches left side near tail lights. Along that section its raised 1/4 inch from surrounding metal floor. Since both the stock Mustang cover and the Capri Dezines cover are flat assume possibly car to car variance? Little hammer work inside well would get it level.
    Name:  cap spare.jpeg
Views: 65
Size:  43.2 KB

Name:  red spare.jpeg
Views: 65
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  red spare cvr.jpeg
Views: 64
Size:  38.6 KB
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT