Close

Default QUESTION: 1984 Mustang 4180C Holley Carburetor

I have a very original 1984 Mustang with 85k miles.

When I got this car, it had its original Holley 4180C carburetor. The car was hard to start. Had to pump the accelerator about 20 times if the car sat for a few days.

I had the 4180C overhauled but the hard starting was still there. The shop that did the overhaul of the carburetor finally determined that the metering block had a leak.

My car ran just fine after the 4180C overhaul, but I did not like having to pump the accelerator ten or twelve times to start my car after it had been sitting.

I finally decided to replace the carburetor in my car with a new Holley 4160. My Mustang now starts instantly regardless of how long it sits.

Questions:
    1. What is the value of my original Holley 4180C?
    2. Is there a plus to keep the original Holley 4180C so that it can stay with my Mustang when the day comes that I sell my Mustang?

Attached are some pictures of the 4180C carburetor.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by 1984-mustang; 10-28-2022 at 10:01 PM.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

That's funny. I previously believed that all '83-'85 4180Cs were identical. I wish that guy hadn't miffed-off our boy in SD! he's like the King of Carbs. Whatever happened to "Yours In Fords, Bill S." he had a total jammer '69-70 Shelby GT350

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    ....I wish that guy hadn't miffed-off our boy in SD! he's like the King of Carbs. Whatever happened to "Yours In Fords, Bill S."....
    Details please.....

Are there posts of his here that would still be helpful? If so, what was his username?
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by 1984-mustang View Post
    Questions:
    1. What is the value of my original Holley 4180C?
    2. Is there a plus to keep the original Holley 4180C so that it can stay with my Mustang when the day comes that I sell my Mustang?
    Not worth a bunch, but there is some value...might even be a good parts unit for someone given the cracked metering block.

I would keep it as it's original and there is a date code on the choke horn which should match the car.

Each year...83, 84, 85...4 barrel Mustang carburetors did have subtle internal changes...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    Details please.....

Are there posts of his here that would still be helpful? If so, what was his username?
    The carb expert is JACOOK

Sorry for not responding sooner. BK is right, JACook is the expert. But, I can tell you the hard start problem is likely due to empty fuel bowls. Your set-up looks fairly original but some parts may be missing. There should be a phenolic spacer under the carb to insulate it from the intake manifold. If you run the car about once a week you shouldn’t have a start problem. I find if mine sits for more than a week I’ll have to crank it about 5 times to get enough fuel into the bowls to get it to start. There’s really nothing to keep the fuel bowls from evaporating. The vapor controls are supposed to direct the fumes to the charcoal canisters but that does nothing for the bowls. I don’’t know what the 4160 does to keep fuel in but it must work. If keeping it original or thinking to go back one day, keep the 4180. It works well when set up right.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

FEP Member

Is Walking-Tall still around?

Quote Originally Posted by darkd0r View Post
    Yeah, I thought I saw him the other day

Quote Originally Posted by darkd0r View Post
    A quick search shows no posts in 2022.

That same search shows he did post to 3 threads in 2021. Maybe he is still lurking and just hasn't found anything worth posting about?!
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

This board has become a much quieter place over...what....20 years now? It just tells me, sadly, that our Foxes are getting rarer by the day. Jeff Cook has bailed me out of a few quandaries over the years...he's definitely a go-to. I'll admit a long absence, but my 85 is still running strong. I'll try to check in more often!
    Last edited by grtskydog; 12-24-2022 at 11:36 AM.
    Ed

"The Dude abides."