Close

Default Oil drain plug sizes

I was reading other forums trying to find the correct size oil drain plugs and I ended up more confused.

someone said some Fox bodies were standard and some metric. If that’s the case, does anyone know which years were what?

my car is an 82.

Also, I noticed the front plug was much shorter. Is that necessary? I’m guessing the parts store will just have one length, but wanted to make sure there’s not a clearance issue that necessitates the shorter plug up front.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

No clearance issue. The only thing swinging around down there is the crank weights and rod ends. IIRC mine on my '83 were 7/8?
    If you want new plugs take one that you know fits (like when you drain your oil to change it) and go to the parts store with it to compare. Don't worry about that slight length difference. Sometimes a slightly longer one simply had a magnetic end to catch metal.
    The pans all interchange, but it is possible the thread of the drain plug changed.

But if you get ones longer than what you have and want to check, install them then turn the motor a few revolutions by hand.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 10-30-2022 at 01:53 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"