Close

Question Footwell Lighting

Hey everyone,

Did a few searches about this and didn't find much of anything, atleast not for early model foxes. I wanted to install footwell lights on my car, its an '86 T-Top, and I bought one of those led strip kits from Canadian Tire since it was red and on sale lol.

I had the idea to tap into the parking light circuit on the headlight switch and then had a better idea to tap into the dimmable wire off the headlight switch.

Can anyone tell me if this is even safe or a smart idea? Is it possible or am I pulling ideas out of thin air. I think it would be kind of cool to be able to dim the lights with the dash but again, never seen or heard of it so I'm not about to start slitting open random wires under my dash.

Also if someone has the wiring diagram for the headlight switch I'd appreciate that as I can't seem to find it on google, just the 87+.

Thanks

lllll

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fast_4_Eye View Post
    Hey everyone,

Did a few searches about this and didn't find much of anything, atleast not for early model foxes. I wanted to install footwell lights on my car, its an '86 T-Top, and I bought one of those led strip kits from Canadian Tire since it was red and on sale lol.

I had the idea to tap into the parking light circuit on the headlight switch and then had a better idea to tap into the dimmable wire off the headlight switch.

Can anyone tell me if this is even safe or a smart idea? Is it possible or am I pulling ideas out of thin air. I think it would be kind of cool to be able to dim the lights with the dash but again, never seen or heard of it so I'm not about to start slitting open random wires under my dash.

Also if someone has the wiring diagram for the headlight switch I'd appreciate that as I can't seem to find it on google, just the 87+.

Thanks
    I never understood that Footwell Lighting Thing. The last time I saw one was in 1989 or 1990 as my GT had one. The light eventually burned out, and that-was-that. There's actually a Ashtray Light, too.

The Litmus Test of whether or not you have it, is if you have a Hood Light
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 10-28-2022 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Text Added

I added them to my car. I'm PRETTY sure I tapped into the dash lights off the dimmer switch. No problems yet.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Ok guys so after some research I found that the brown wire off of my headlight switch is connected to the dimmer. (Wire #14 I think?). Would I be able to buy one of those cable splice clips and just piggyback off of the dimmer wire for the footwell?

They're just simple red 12v led strips so I don't see it being a massive draw or anthing.

I had checked this a while ago, I have a hood light but no footwell sockets. I'm pretty sure that was only on early to mid aero cars as they shared wiring with convertible cars, or atleast that is what I've gethered online.

I put them in my 59 bird and 79 bronco. Hooked both up to the door switches.
    Old car overhead lights are almost useless if you want to see something, even on the center console.
    (and below that is pitch black). Now I can turn on interior light from inside, and actually have useable light.

Anyway, I just tied into one of the wires coming off either door switch. The interior light switch part of
    headlight switch turns them on also, when you tie into door switch wiring (after the switch).
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

FEP User

Yes would be nice to have more than just the almost useless dome light. Good idea add more lights . Many years ago i pushed the door switch for done light into door support then removed the door switch from the wire connector plug . The dome light still comes on with the head light switch . I did not want the dome light on when the doors were open . i still have all the wires inside kick panel . OX1 so just find the one wire on both sides to power the extra lights when dome light switch is on , and screw mount will be the ground . If its not to much trouble would you be able to tell us which wire ? color/stripe/ wire number ? thanks

I've been so busy with school and work I haven't gotten a chance to get under the dash and test the wires. I'm thinking it will be a minimum of 2 hours with a voltmeter and a pin lol.

I wanted to tie into the gauge lights only because I want to have manual control over the lights and have them on while I drive at night, I love them in my dad's truck so I just think it would be a cool idea without bastardizing the car lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    I never understood that Footwell Lighting Thing. The last time I saw one was in 1989 or 1990 as my GT had one. The light eventually burned out, and that-was-that. There's actually a Ashtray Light, too.

It was part of a convenience lighting package...my 85 Mustang GT has it...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I have stock foot well hood and ashtray. I just assumed with a convertible that was all you could do. Why someone would order foot well lighting is beyond me. Not really useful for reading a map.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    I have stock foot well hood and ashtray. I just assumed with a convertible that was all you could do. Why someone would order foot well lighting is beyond me. Not really useful for reading a map.
    lol, YES. I remember thinking it was an option of "excess" when I first saw it in 1990 in my GT. Actually, I was glad when it burned-out haha
    Thanks B.W., that's what I was thinking; 'Light Group', 'Convenience Lighting Package' etc. So from what I remember that option consisted of; Hood Light, Ashtray Light, Footwell Light, Glovebox Light, and on Hatchbacks, the extra Light behind the "showerhead." Evidently the "showerhead" was standard equipment on the GT

lol, YES. I remember thinking it was an option of "excess" when I first saw it in 1990 in my GT. Actually, I was glad when it burned-out haha
    Thanks B.W., that's what I was thinking; 'Light Group', 'Convenience Lighting Package' etc. So from what I remember that option consisted of; Hood Light, Ashtray Light, Footwell Light, Glovebox Light, and on Hatchbacks, the extra Light behind the "showerhead." Evidently the "showerhead" was standard equipment on the GT
    Now you guys are really confusing me, I have the glovebox and hood lights so how come I can't find an ash tray light or a footwell light. And what is a showerhead?!

Quote Originally Posted by Fast_4_Eye View Post
    Now you guys are really confusing me, I have the glovebox and hood lights so how come I can't find an ash tray light or a footwell light. And what is a showerhead?!
    lol I knew I should have specified; many Third Gen Mustangs, even Capris, have the Showerhead. It's basically a swivel-light for reading maps, etc. I'm surprised yours doesn't? A buddy of mine from high school even had one in his '79 Capri.

'Goodnight everybodaah!'
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 11-01-2022 at 09:40 PM.

lol I knew I should have specified; many Third Gen Mustangs, even Capris, have the Showerhead. It's basically a swivel-light for reading maps, etc. I'm surprised yours doesn't? A buddy of mine from high school even had one in his '79 Capri.

'Goodnight everybodaah!'
    Oh so the map light, at least that's what my dad has aways referred to it as. Yeah I have one of those.

Since the thread is on the topic, my dome light looks very similar to that of the hardtop cars but when I look on LMR for example, it says that style dome light doesn't work on T-Top or Sunroof cars, what's the deal with that. I've been trying to find a bulb for it but I don't even know what kind of fixture is in it.

If you don't like your style of domelight, the mounts were similar for years. I have an SN95 domelight in my car with the maplights on it. You'll have to figure out how to wire them, but they are there!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I suspect is the same as the footwell and glove box light. Is there anything in it now?
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    I suspect is the same as the footwell and glove box light. Is there anything in it now?
    The footwell light doesn't exist in my car and the glovebox is a twist socket of some kind. The dome light looks like a 194 but... bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by 1981 Capri View Post
    Yes would be nice to have more than just the almost useless dome light. Good idea add more lights . Many years ago i pushed the door switch for done light into door support then removed the door switch from the wire connector plug . The dome light still comes on with the head light switch . I did not want the dome light on when the doors were open . i still have all the wires inside kick panel . OX1 so just find the one wire on both sides to power the extra lights when dome light switch is on , and screw mount will be the ground . If its not to much trouble would you be able to tell us which wire ? color/stripe/ wire number ? thanks
    Yes, either grab the wire that goes to the dome light or the wire that only gets power when door is open (on door switch). They tie together "somewhere" as they both power dome light. Then footwells will light up with either doors or dome light switch. I can try to find out wire color/stripe, but as I said, it was on a 59 T-bird and a 79 bronco that I put them in. The bronco might be the same, as it's at least the same era vehicle.

BTW, if you are looking for the footwells, a lot of the LTD's/Marque's had them as most were more loaded up than Stangs.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

FEP User

i have my carpet out and plastic trim out , so easy for me to get at the wires . My door dome light switch i pushed into the car years ago, had to pull the switch part out of connector as pin in switch was is in the open door position / light on . To test and find the right wire was easy for me to connect an alligator clip to the 2 pins in the door switch connector . There is also a 2nd wire connector on the passenger side. So i found 2 places to connect a light to on the passenger side. OX1 thanks for your time on this , i found what i needed .
    OP wants to dim / not sure about dimming , did not look for that wire or test that part . for me just need on or off . ooops maybe what i wanted for lights was a different thread ?

Quote Originally Posted by 1981 Capri View Post
    i have my carpet out and plastic trim out , so easy for me to get at the wires . My door dome light switch i pushed into the car years ago, had to pull the switch part out of connector as pin in switch was is in the open door position / light on . To test and find the right wire was easy for me to connect an alligator clip to the 2 pins in the door switch connector . There is also a 2nd wire connector on the passenger side. So i found 2 places to connect a light to on the passenger side. OX1 thanks for your time on this , i found what i needed .
    OP wants to dim / not sure about dimming , did not look for that wire or test that part . for me just need on or off . ooops maybe what i wanted for lights was a different thread ?
    No thats the same idea I was having, I basically just need it on with parking lights and headlights and off when lights are off. The thread was made more to ask others how they went about that if they even did it. Still trying to catch a break off school to get under the dash.

Come to think of it, mine are wired to the dome light, not the dash lights.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST