Close

Default 85gt with SN95 8.8 w disks. What offset wheels?

My 85gt has had a sn95 8.8 axle swapped in the rear. All new disk brakes, and sn95 length axle shafts.

I’ve got 18x9.5 wheels w et29 offset. 285/35/18s.

Before the swap I had the stock 7.5 rear w drums. The wheels needed a spacer to fit properly. We used a cheep 1/4” aluminum unit.

Now w the wider track, I’m wondering if the wheels are going to be a problem fitting.

I’ve got adjustable LCAs. Stock uppers. No quad shock. And soon to be 3” tailpipes.

The car has gone into paint and body now so I can’t test the wheels physically for the next many months.

Any info or advice would be appreciated.
    Thx
    Joe Em

First question is the the SN95 8.8 the 94-98 or 99-04 style. The 94-98 housing is the same overall width as the Fox 7.5/8.8 housing, but the axles are @ 3/4" wider per side. The 99-04 housing is wider than the previous housings and the axles are longer. The 79-93 cars rear track width was @ 57", 94-98 @ 58.5", and the 99-04 @ 59.875". The Cobra IRS is even wider at @ 60.3"
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

I concur with Trey, that you need to specify which '94+ rear you've got. But even without knowing the specifics, it's safe to say a 9.5" +29mm wheel with 285s is not going to fit on either type of SN95 axles.

Back in the day I ran the old M179 variant of the '95 Cobra R wheels; those were designed by SVO/FRPP specifically for Foxes running the '94-98 axles as part of the old M2300K Cobra 4-wheel-disk kit. The wheels were 17x9" +36mm (6.42" backspacing) and I ran 275/40s on those '94-98 length axles. I had to roll the rear fender lips to get those to clear, so a wider wheel/tire with a shallower offset is going to be a no-go IMO.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

I have the 36mm offset Cobra R's with 255/40/17's on my 79 PC with the Cobra IRS. With rolled rear fender lips, the tires just clear and even then under hard cornering, I have actually cut the outside edge of the tire with the fender lip slightly. If I could find a wheel I like, I would definitely want at least a 40mm offset for just a bit more clearance. I have decent clearance to the inside, but there's virtually no clearance to the outside next the fender lip. So as Patrick mentioned I seriously doubt you will be able to make it work, I was just trying to verify which rear track width you had to get a better idea of what you combo would look like.

I have not seen many people be able to run the 9.5/10" rear wheels on the Foxes on anything but the stock Fox rear track width. The wider SN95/SVO/Cobra rear track widths tend to not work well with most off the shelf offsets available these days. I made a 10.5 wide rear wheel with a 295/30/18 fit on my 86 Wide Body GT, but that required a 2" widen of the rear quarter panels. (Well that actually was what I wanted, but that's another discussion )
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for the replies all of you. The axle I got is a 94-98 out of a GT w 50k on the clock.
    I know folks will say just to swap out the shafts but I’m nose deep in this build and would like to get away with what I got if possible.

My fenders will be rolled while it’s in for paint and body (just delivered there last week).

I have started researching different wheels and found that TSW does have a couple possible wheels with 18x9.5 with an et40. So I could gain 10 mm there if needed. Front would be the same now I have now w a 18x8.5 et 20. They can also be got in 19” ����*♂️ if things were to go totally sketchy. Lol

My current setup needed 1/4” spacers (stock fox axle and 18x9,5 et29 and 285/35) to clear the exhaust. I measured out to a 3/4” spacer would bring the tire just out of the fender. So I’m guessing that’s about where I’ll end up with the new axle. But it’ll be seriously close. I need to weigh the difference in cost between new wheels and new axle shafts (and a 3.73 gear swap while I’m in there).

Thanks for the help.
    Joe E.