Close

Default Parts store pricing

I used to try and buy things locally, as opposed to ordering online. But I'm pretty much fed up with getting burnt at the parts stores. I get it. Brick and mortar come with added expense. But there's a certain point where they're just laughing at their customers.

I had to buy a fuse tap in a pinch. It was $9. To make matters worse, I screwed up and got the wrong one. By the time I figured it out, I had already installed it. I sucked it up and bought another one... so I'm in $18. The day before, I picked up a simple headlight connector ($12) and a small pack of basic butt connectors ($8.50). If I hadn't already collected a bunch of basic connectors over the years, it probably would have cost me over $100 in cheap Chinese bits that probably cost less than $2 to manufacture

The same fuse tap on ebay is $4.49 for 3... and that includes shipping. The butt connectors and headlight connector, also a fraction of the parts-store price.

I should buy a bunch of random stuff like this and set up a box trailer across from the parts store. Electrical connectors, cleaning supplies, adhesives, hardware, filters, headlight bulbs, wiper blades, etc.... all half of what the stores charge and I'd still double my money.

Sorry for the rant.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

FEP Senior Member

Not sure how many people use RockAuto but I compared what their prices were to AutoZone and Advance and it was half for some hoses. I used to have a really good independent store, but they got pushed out by AutoZone and O'Reilly's. Both stores are within a block of the old auto parts store. I had a really good Trak Auto too but that was years ago and all the Trak Autos got bought out too. Carquest got bought out by Advance. Murry's got bought out by O'Reilly's.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

I use Rockauto some. You have to be careful about shipping cost, but you're correct. Prices are way better.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

FEP Supporter

Retailmenot.com... I almost never walk in and buy. I'll order online, grab a coke and then walk in and save 20% sometimes 30%. No sense in not taking the discounts.

Rockauto is definitely a go to when I plan ahead.
    '85 GT

I've heard of retailmenot but never used it. Thanks for the suggestion. One thing I've noticed is that the parts stores tend to only put out coupons for ship-to-home orders. I think that's the dumbest marketing policy I could think of. If I'm ordering online and waiting for it to get here, I'm going to shop online for the best price. I sure as heck aren't going to pay parts store prices. It's almost like these stores are wanting us to shop at Rockauto lol!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

I have tried Rock Auto with mixed results. Sometimes you get what you pay for, got good from them, and got junk to.
    American Auto Parts would not help find a part for me I needed over a weekend, but AutoZone checked local stores for me.
    O'Rielly's gave me the right number but picked the wrong parts.
    A local NAPA store gives me a discount from the days my ex brother in law who ran a carburetor shop set me up.
    It's also close to work. But working online they automatically send me to the store close to where I live.
    The common factor in it all is the man or woman that you deal with. Do they know parts, or just numbers?
    And are they just sloggin through the day, or glad to help their customers.
    So, to me price is only one factor.
    Last edited by Ray Dog; 10-16-2022 at 10:00 AM. Reason: add content
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Ray, funny you mention NAPA. I stopped by my local store a week ago with a buddy who was needing a part. I told him I stopped going there because of their attitude. He laughed and said it was probably just a fluke. The guy at the counter gave him an attitude and was anything but helpful. I just stood back and chuckled! If I drive another 10 minutes, the other Napa is much better. They also happen to sell auto paint there, so I've been there several times for that. They're much nicer and more helpful.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    Ray, funny you mention NAPA. I stopped by my local store a week ago with a buddy who was needing a part. I told him I stopped going there because of their attitude. He laughed and said it was probably just a fluke. The guy at the counter gave him an attitude and was anything but helpful. I just stood back and chuckled! If I drive another 10 minutes, the other Napa is much better. They also happen to sell auto paint there, so I've been there several times for that. They're much nicer and more helpful.
    Not a fluke to me. My local NAPA is all guys that don't care much if they help or not and are certainly in no rush whatsoever to do anything. Only go there if they are the only one that has a part or the deal is too smokin to pass up (rare).
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

I call my local NAPA Never Any Parts Available, because that's how it ends up. I find something searching their online inventory and when I get there they dont really have it. Now I google the part numbers after I get them from Rockauto and check to see who says they have it and make my choice based on how soon I need it.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

Lately it’s been AutoZone.com with the 20% discounts & free shipping that’s getting my business. Rock auto works if you want Motorcraft or a brand the big box stores don’t carry. However returns are a pita. The best thing about returning AutoZone orders is you can just walk in and return it without any shipping hassles. It’s also a good reminder why buying in person at the store is a huge disappointment. Minimum wage workers that don’t care if you come back or not.

Between amazon, EvilBay, & NPD, it’s all online for me these days.
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

RockAuto for me unless I need something quick then I go to Advance, had a few problems with AutoZone. Forget NAPA, the ones here are Ford haters and the prices are way too high.
    And like others I use, Amazon, eBay or LMR, American Muscle or CJ Pony.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

FEP Senior Member

I've purchased several thousand dollars of parts every year from RockAuto for probably the last ten years. I've always had good service and the rare times I've had issues I've never had any problem getting refunds. Yeah, it does stink to have to wait on shipping, but even with shipping and tax I'm normally well below the local stores. I don't even bother cross shopping on price anymore. Plus, when I buy from RockAuto, I know who the manufacturer is and I'm not left to guess who made this store branded part. The one exception I will make is replacement starters and alternators that will eventually fail. I will pay extra so I can just go to the store and exchange bad for new and be on my way that day.

People complain about shipping costs from RockAuto, but I find their shipping costs ridiculously low compared to what it would cost me. If you can play around with the parts you can usually get the shipping down pretty low.

I do not understand the parts store online coupons only applying to ship to home stuff either. I guess they don't want people to go to their stores? Advance used to have pretty good discount codes which helped them compete with RockAuto, but I've noticed that they have gotten pretty stingy with those in the last 3-4 years. Most of the discount codes on retailmenot don't seem to ever work.

I normally don't even bother with Amazon or eBay. Too many counterfeit parts out there and neither site seems to care about it. Their prices usually aren't better than RockAuto anyway. Unless it is obviously an NOS part or from an OEM dealer on eBay I'll stay away.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

I've been using RockAuto alot lately too.....after a recent run in with my local O'Reillys I probably won't go back there anytime soon.....
    My 83 T-Bird needed a lower radiator hose so I called them and asked them to order it (since we all know it wouldn't be in stock), was told it'd be there by 10 am the next day. Stopped by after work around 3 pm and go figure, they couldn't find it. After waiting 10-15 minutes, someone finally reports that the store they ordered it from didn't have it and cancelled the order. So I asked if it had been reordered? My answer was 3 blank stares from 3 different blank faces. I then asked if it could be ordered and when could it in, again? Was then told it'd be in around 4:30 from another store on the shuttle. So like an idiot, I paid for it and a couple gallons of antifreeze I went home and waited, at 4:30 I drove uptown and tried again.....it was the exact same scenario.....3 people looking for it and no one knew where it was!! Finally, one of the kids spoke up and said that they wouldn't find it because the shuttle truck wasn't there yet....I asked when might it be there? The smart mouth kid pops off "whenever he gets here"!!!! At this time, I demanded my money back....again with blank stares from behind the counter. I told them I wasn't making a 3rd trip to buy something I was already told twice would be there. They just couldn't understand!!

Now heres the real kicker to it all.....that Gates lower hose was $49 plus taxes from O'Reillys......I went home and ordered the same number hose along with a new t-stat, gasket, and radiator cap and with shipping it was all $47 and I got it 2 days later!!!!!

Whats really sad here is, I worked at a small family owned NAPA store in NW Ohio for almost 9 yrs and loved my job....we bent over backwards to get the customer the right part in a timely manner AND I actually worked at this local O'Reillys store when I first moved to Oklahoma!!! Customer service is a total joke anymore.
    86 Capri 5.0/5spd: Too many mods to list
    93 5.0/5sp LX: Silver, 3,980 miles: now stored
    84 Thunderbird TurboCoupe: she's back!!
    84 Capri RS- T-top car built for my wife
    83 Thunderbird Heritage 5.0
    79 F100, new parts hauler and toy vehicle
    78 Bronco Custom: 2-wheel conversion project
    73 Mach1 -351C-5spd
    64 Galaxie 500 390 Z-code
    55 Ford Customline Sedan-long term project

I think the napa store I complain about supplies most of the shops in the area. They don't get a ton of walk-ins and when they do, it's too much of a bother to go out of their way. I chalk that one up to poor management. The same annoying customer looking for a couple cheap trim clips might be the one spending $400 on a/c parts next week.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

I have used Rockauto for years, yes a few hick ups but will keep going there and yep I dont all ways agree with the shipping costs but it is what it is
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Helped a buddy recently by changing out the coolant expansion tank in his Chevy Spark.
    AutoZone (my preferred place) was $92

AC Delco from AutoZone (needed to be ordered and at least 2 days out) was $60.

Went to Knechts and got it for $42.

This friend has very little expendable cash so had to go economy, and living out of town needed it done quickly.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 10-28-2022 at 10:30 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

New User

I research all before buying. If it's a small amount more, I try local places. Online places sometimes bust you open on shipping/handling.