Close

Default Ignition Actuator in steering column ???

My 85 Capri has a broken ignition actuator. The replacement part LMR sells for 79-93 is not correct. The 86 and older cars are different. The part I recived from LMR is quite different from the one I removed from my car which is broken in half.

The Ford part number on the actuator removed from my car is E2EC-3E723-AA. I'm having a hard time finding a replacement.

I'm sure someone one here has done this job hopefully. Does anyone have one of these laying around?

I'm still trying to fish the broken parts out of the mechanism. I found the spring but not the pawl, another part I may need.

Any assistance appreciated.
    85 Mustang GT
    85 Mercury Capri

Can you post a pic of your ignition switch? And a link to the LMR switch that's different?
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    It looks very similar to that one except the part number on my broken part is different. I had found the one in the link you provided but I'm uncertain if it's the correct part. Mine has part number E2EC-3E723-AA on it.
    85 Mustang GT
    85 Mercury Capri

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Can you post a pic of your ignition switch? And a link to the LMR switch that's different?
    Here is a link to the LMR part.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-63723A/Must...n-Switch-79-93

The broken one I removed looks very similar to the part in the link below ecept it has a different part number on it.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/actu...%3D0%26year%3D
    85 Mustang GT
    85 Mercury Capri

I looked at Green Sales, they say 'out of stock' for your part #

Could your part # have been superseded by a new part #? Ford likes to do that.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Call your local Ford dealer and ask them if the part numbers cross reference...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

FWIW I believe there was a slight change in that assembly around 82 or so which may make the parts different. A while back I tried to swap the entire ignition key and switch assembly from an 83 or so to my 80 column and it didn't quite fit.

If I remember right the 83 model assembly was a bit shorter than my 80 and the column tubes were slightly different to reflect the longer assembly etc. They also changed the splines on the steering wheel around that time so maybe all these changes were applied at once

The E2 part number would seem to indicate you probably have the later model though and would make sense for an 85. And even if they are different you would think the after market parts (LMR) for the later models would be more common and correct.

Not sure if that helps you or not.

Finally got some time this past weekend to work on my Capri.

This part is the correct part. https://www.npdlink.com/product/actu...%3D0%26year%3D

It was not working at first because there was a broken piece from the old actuator stuck up in the channel where this actuator moves back and forth. Once I got that out it all went back together with a new key and tumbler. All is good.

Thanks for the help everyone.
    85 Mustang GT
    85 Mercury Capri