Close

Default Canadian High Speed Speedometers?

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section but are there any companies that have made a calibrated speedo over 180kph? Right now i have an '86 and its the standard tach and speedo. Not that I intend to use the entire speedometer but I feel it would be pretty cool to have if it were to exist.

Edit: forgot to add I'm from Canada incase you didn't read my location so an american MPH speedo won't do me much good lol

You could get a MPH speedometer and use a KPH overlay on it.
    Calibrated speedometers are picky about gear ratio, tire size etc. However there is always the option of a GPS speedometer and it doesnt get much more accurate then that.
    Just for looks the Canadian SVO used a KPH speedometer, there is an SVO cluster on Ebay that has KPH
    Last edited by ukravit; 10-09-2022 at 09:19 PM.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by ukravit View Post
    You could get a MPH speedometer and use a KPH overlay on it.
    Calibrated speedometers are picky about gear ratio, tire size etc. However there is always the option of a GPS speedometer and it doesnt get much more accurate then that.
    Just for looks the Canadian SVO used a KPH speedometer, there is an SVO cluster on Ebay that has KPH
    Although it sounds like a great idea, I'm seeing that it is a massive headache as the tach apparently has no selector switch for the change in cylinders and there is a boost gauge in place of the ammeter. Not to mention a few guys said the harness is different on them and apparently are getting dead batteries as their car won't charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast_4_Eye View Post
    Although it sounds like a great idea, I'm seeing that it is a massive headache as the tach apparently has no selector switch for the change in cylinders and there is a boost gauge in place of the ammeter. Not to mention a few guys said the harness is different on them and apparently are getting dead batteries as their car won't charge.
    The speedometer is only held in by a couple screws and can be installed in your cluster. A cheaper option is still a 140 Mph speedometer with a Kph overlay.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

A USA speedo with a KPH overlay would show speed correctly in KPH, but would still show mileage in miles not kilometers.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    A USA speedo with a KPH overlay would show speed correctly in KPH, but would still show mileage in miles not kilometers.

Mike
    Yeah I guess that could work I just was hoping for something a little more plug and play and would look as original as possible, its not a need just a want lmao

I had a CDN market '84 back in 2001 as my first Mustang, and it's markings did top out at 140 km/h (85mph). I've never seen a higher speed marked one, not sure if they existed even in the aftermarket. I have seen vintage high velocity Motorsport speedos and certified calibration SSP pieces very rarely, but all of those have been in MPH.

I think the one rare of rare might be a CDN Market Saleen Speedo, that might exist?

I thought the max speed in Canada was 100kph? Why would anyone want to know if they were going faster.... LOL
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Wonder what the Canadian SSPs used? There was an RCMP car on display at the mustang museum in Alabama …perhaps they could look inside it to confirm.
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT
    Popular Hot Rodding Project Car '83/84

1983 Capri 331 ci, TKO600

Quote Originally Posted by gt4494 View Post
    I thought the max speed in Canada was 100kph? Why would anyone want to know if they were going faster.... LOL
    I thought the maximum speed in the US is 70mph, why would anyone want to know if they're going faster? Obviously higher rated speedometers were meant for mustangs that were raced or people who have no regard for the speed limit on public roads

Anyways, I was considering using a Canadian 1986 SVO cluster and putting some 3.73 rear end gears in to get as close as possible to the actual speed.
    My current cluster is a 180km/h so I might just stick with that since I don't want to start screwing with the important original parts and messing everything up.

In the midwest the limit is 80mph. My 85mph speedometer is perfect.. LOL
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"