Close

Thread: CFI problems

Default CFI problems

Good afternoon everyone I have a 84 with CFI and I am having the following issue.

The car is able to star fine and it idle good as well. The issue I am having is that ones I put it into gear it sputters and turns off. Not sure where to even start I've done a few searches but haven't had luck with any of the suggestions.

Woudl appreicate any help with this issue.

It should be solve-able. When you say it idles good what are the parameters? Rpm? Does it go through the normal cold start routine? 1400ish for a minute, automatic kickdown to 1100ish, the gradual decrease to 850 when warm?
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    It should be solve-able. When you say it idles good what are the parameters? Rpm? Does it go through the normal cold start routine? 1400ish for a minute, automatic kickdown to 1100ish, the gradual decrease to 850 when warm?
    I will check to see if it does that and report back.

I did see that the choke adjustment screw was on backwards, now I am able to put in gear but when I hit the brakes it turns off. I had the booster rebuilt so I'm not sure if it maybe bad.

Wow, yeah a massive vacuum leak could do it. Just don't hit the brakes and let's see what the normal start up looks like. Maybe block off that brake vacuum for the time being.
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    Wow, yeah a massive vacuum leak could do it. Just don't hit the brakes and let's see what the normal start up looks like. Maybe block off that brake vacuum for the time being.
    So the start up I'm seeing is 1800 at the start after a minute it comes down to 1100 and when warm its at 800 or so.

I'm going to check what type of fuel pressure I'm getting.

That looks good. I suspect your pressure will be fine. If you just messed with the booster and it dies when you hit the brakes, plug that vacuum line first and see what happens.