Close

Hybrid View

Default Distributor Install Questions

I pulled my old distributor to replace it with one i replaced the PIP on. What was supposed to take an hour wound up being 4+ and still not running.
    I installed the other distributor as per the haynes manual instruction, which said to set the timing pointer on the crank to about 16-18° before TDC and point the distributor to #1. Ok, the distributor cap has that position marked on it, but its not where the pics i see say it should be.

This is the pic of the distributor cap.

This is the timing and position pic i was going by.

Its right next to the screw to hold the cap on instead of the next one below that.
    So after trying both positions i cant get the car to run and i think either im not doing this right or the instructions im going by arent.

1) What degree should i be rotating the crank pointer to before setting the distributor to #1? °TDC, 10° btdc or 16-18° btdc?
    2) i have the rotor and distributor cap type that screws on so it can only go on one way and cant see where i screwed up. So is that "1" actually #1 or is the other pic the actual #1 i should be going by?

Trying to turn over the motor it cranks but no attempt to run and randomly stops like its filled up so i dont want to break something else before i see what i doing wrong.

Matt Culpepper, pretty well known in the 2.3 turbo world, has a youtube video on setting the timing belt and the distributor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wElr-Y0Ko
    He's kind of a goof-ball, but he knows his stuff.
    See if this helps.
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

Quote Originally Posted by ccurtin View Post
    Matt Culpepper, pretty well known in the 2.3 turbo world, has a youtube video on setting the timing belt and the distributor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wElr-Y0Ko
    See if this helps.
    This will help and basically answered all of my questions.
    I was way off.
    Thank you.

Just wanted to update that i followed the instructions in the video and it now runs again.

Quote Originally Posted by ccurtin View Post
    See if this helps.
    Great tip on the hub adapter. I would not have known that it’s the same as a small block Chevy.

I went back today with a new timing gun to verify my base timing.
    Disconnected the spout, started it up and pointed to see i was at 20° btdc. Everything i read said to set it to 10° btdc, and since my calibration sticker on the timing cover was still legible and said the same i set it to 10° btdc.
    After leaving it for a minute i plugged the spout back in and it went to about 22-23° btdc.
    Let it get warm, shut it off and unplugged the spout and verified no changes.

Am i supposed to remove the alternator to properly tighten down the distributor hold down bolt?
    I bought a tool just for that, literally marketed for the 2300 motor, and still had to pull it out to get enough room and angle to get it on. It looks so easy to get thru the alternator and timing cover i might bend something up like an open ended wrench to fit into there to do this next time.

I have an allen bolt instead of the 6 pt. then I can easily put the allen socket on a long extension and get to it from the top. I had to go to a local grainger to to find one that big, none of the big box stores had one.
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

With the pcv hose in the way how it is(and petrified rock solid with little flexibility) how would you manage to line it up?
    I could barely get my 16 pt wrench tool on the head of the bolt thanks to it being so in the way. Maybe a crows foot and creative bending on an extension is going to be on my list.

I bought an appropriate sized socket and cheap allen wrench. Cut the long arm off the allen wrench and welded it into the socket. If it's got a ball on the long end that's a bonus.

You by chance got a pic of that setup?