Close

Default Energy Suspension motor mount issues ?

Anyone else have any issues with these mounts ?

My story: I purchased and installed the 4.1122 engine mount and trans mount kit on my 80 last summer. Initially all seemed good no issues so never thought much about it. However this summer I started feeling an increasing vibration that starting occurring as engine RPM increased and got really noticeable around 3000 and up.

After checking the basics without finding anything I started to suspect the mounts since the engine also seemed to visually shake more when first started as well. I decided to (just) change the trans mount back to stock just to see if it made any difference. It actually improved the vibration so I also decided to change back to my old stock motor mounts to see if that was in fact the culprit.

When I got the energy mounts off I found the metal bracket that mounts to the block had essentially come loose from the urethane block that is held by the metal clamshell etc. I could move them around quite easily which didn't seem right. I understand they should flex but everything seemed down right loose to me.

Sure enough with the old stock motor mounts installed this vibration was much much improved so I came to the conclusion that the energy mounts must have went bad. They were not that old and very few miles etc.

I see lots of good reviews online but could not find anything specific to what I've experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by at_the_junkyard View Post
    Anyone else have any issues with these mounts ?

My story: I purchased and installed the 4.1122 engine mount and trans mount kit on my 80 last summer. Initially all seemed good no issues so never thought much about it. However this summer I started feeling an increasing vibration that starting occurring as engine RPM increased and got really noticeable around 3000 and up.

After checking the basics without finding anything I started to suspect the mounts since the engine also seemed to visually shake more when first started as well. I decided to (just) change the trans mount back to stock just to see if it made any difference. It actually improved the vibration so I also decided to change back to my old stock motor mounts to see if that was in fact the culprit.

When I got the energy mounts off I found the metal bracket that mounts to the block had essentially come loose from the urethane block that is held by the metal clamshell etc. I could move them around quite easily which didn't seem right. I understand they should flex but everything seemed down right loose to me.

Sure enough with the old stock motor mounts installed this vibration was much much improved so I came to the conclusion that the energy mounts must have went bad. They were not that old and very few miles etc.

I see lots of good reviews online but could not find anything specific to what I've experienced.
    Hmm haven’t noticed any issues with mine yet but they are still very new and have less than 30km on them. I will keep an eye out for issues now though.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Yeah it started as a slight vibe and got worse. Not sure if they just let go or slowly come loose. I am working on getting warranty of some sort. I probably only had about 1000km on mine.

We will see what happens I guess but there are probably hundreds of these energy mounts out there. They certainly are a quality looking piece.

Its hard to find a decent stock replacement mount for the early fox years. You can buy the rubber inserts (isolators) and swap the metal bracket which seems to me maybe the best option (although it seems the LH ones are very hard to get at the moment). I tried ordering some of the convertible mounts a couple years ago but they seemed poorly made and did not even bolt to the block correctly. They weren't expensive so I dismissed that idea rather quickly and decided maybe it was more so because they were cheap. The energy mounts fit perfectly and were a very similar to the design of the stock convertible mounts from what I recall so seemed like a good choice although expensive relatively.

Also in my research it would appear that several people recommend that if you are running the poly mounts to just use a stock rubber transmission mount which helps smooth the increased harshness you can transmit with the poly material. I think opinions of what is harsh differ greatly so it is sometimes difficult to know from reading online without trying different things I guess.

Cheers

Yeah it started as a slight vibe and got worse. Not sure if they just let go or slowly come loose. I am working on getting warranty of some sort. I probably only had about 1000km on mine.

We will see what happens I guess but there are probably hundreds of these energy mounts out there. They certainly are a quality looking piece.

Its hard to find a decent stock replacement mount for the early fox years. You can buy the rubber inserts (isolators) and swap the metal bracket which seems to me maybe the best option (although it seems the LH ones are very hard to get at the moment). I tried ordering some of the convertible mounts a couple years ago but they seemed poorly made and did not even bolt to the block correctly. They weren't expensive so I dismissed that idea rather quickly and decided maybe it was more so because they were cheap. The energy mounts fit perfectly and were a very similar to the design of the stock convertible mounts from what I recall so seemed like a good choice although expensive relatively.

Also in my research it would appear that several people recommend that if you are running the poly mounts to just use a stock rubber transmission mount which helps smooth the increased harshness you can transmit with the poly material. I think opinions of what is harsh differ greatly so it is sometimes difficult to know from reading online without trying different things I guess.

Cheers
    I still have a set of those ****ty convertible mounts from rock auto sitting in my garage. What a joke those were.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Well I was able to get a replacement set under warranty so that's good news at least

Well I was able to get a replacement set under warranty so that's good news at least

Nice!
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt