Close

Default RS Capri Brake problems after 87+ update

14 years ago, when I first got my 84 RS Capri back on the road, I upgrade the rear end from a 7.5 four Lug drum to an 87 five lug 8.8 setup with the factory Mustang drums that were on the rear end I pulled from the parts yard. At the time I still had the factory front brakes on my car and the brakes seemed to work pretty well. When I did the UPR K-member swap a year or so ago the brakes were still working fine before I upgraded the front spindles, rotors, calipers and new brake lines to new 87+ parts. I only drove the car several times after the upgrade and never really stomped on the brakes to test them out until the last time I drove it before the fuel pump went out. Something is definitely going on with the brakes! The front drivers side brake locked up and the passenger side felt like it barely had any brakes at all, and I don't even think the back brakes are working! Scared the crap out of me! The brakes are all bled properly so I don't think that is the problem.

Anyway, I am not a brakes guy, I understand the basic concept but definitely don't know the ins and outs of the system. Where should I start to even trouble shoot what the problem is? My normal auto repair guy won't touch it with a 10-foot pole because of all the changes I made to the stock system and says it would be a liability nightmare for him LOL, so I am turning to my fellow FEP mechanics for help.

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers you guys can give,
    Robert

Pic of the RS with the newly acquired Trans AM
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

New brake hoses I assume? May be a caliper sticking on the one side not working.
    Jack up back of car, put jack stands under it. Put car in gear and hit brakes. See if rears stop.
    If rears are getting pressured fluid during bleeding, they have to be doing something.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

you have to use a larger master cylinder if you went to a larger caliper also remove the proportion valve spool and make sure it moves as they will jamb up
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009