Close

Question Small Hole in Floor Pan

Hello All,

I found a small spot on my driver side floor plan where it's basically rusted through. You can't see through it because of the rubber coating on the inside of the pan, but I could punch right through it with a screwdriver.

Pix attached. The circle on the floor in the interior picture shows the location - what's a simple but effective way to fix this?

Name:  20220918_202706.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  245.7 KB
    Name:  20220918_202832.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  111.5 KB

On my car, i just cut out the rotted areas and welded in new pieces.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Cut and weld.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

FEP Senior Member

if you do not have the tools space to cut and weld. i have delayed the problem by putting a fiberglass patch on it. since the car was my daily driver i needed it to go to work the next day. scoffed up the areas with a wire wheel, put on the fiberglass per the instructions. 10 years later still there. i did put/spray the bottom with a rust additive and later paint to cover it..

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob85gt View Post
    if you do not have the tools space to cut and weld. i have delayed the problem by putting a fiberglass patch on it. since the car was my daily driver i needed it to go to work the next day. scoffed up the areas with a wire wheel, put on the fiberglass per the instructions. 10 years later still there. i did put/spray the bottom with a rust additive and later paint to cover it..
    That is not a bad option if you cannot weld. We did the same thing when we found some rust in the floor of our '67 Biscayne. Back then you couldn't just order up new floor pan parts and we didn't have a welder anyway. It's been nearly 30 years and they are still there. Make sure you get all of the rust out and treat it as mentioned so it doesn't continue to rust.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by bob85gt View Post
    Great idea. I think that's what I'll do to my 88 vert cause it's got a small hole on the passenger side floor.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

On larger repairs like these, i cut sheet metal patches and rivets where possible. More work but is strong and lasts.
    Butyl roof patch tape, Kool Seal elastomeric roof coat, seam sealer, or plastic roof cement help seal big or small areas back up.
    Black hammer finish paint works good for a finish overcoat and slows down future rust.
    A small hand grinder with a knotted wire wheel helps prep area quicker.
    Yellow handle Wiss brand snips work good to cut thin metal. Trimmed trans tunnel cleanly with them.

If welding and full interior is in, prob have to do that from under car to control sparks.
    But overhead welding is sure not an ideal position vs inside.

Carpet pads tend to collect and retain water from leaks and the like. They never dry out if water keeps coming.
    Also, check other areas of pan for weakness and rust. Corners, seams. Do not be surprised to find more damage.
    Last edited by gr79; 09-29-2022 at 03:15 PM.

FEP User

As gr79 says will never dry out if water keeps coming . bgettel did you figure out where water is coming from ?

My carpet was wet on drivers side and passenger side floor , so took the carpet out of the car to get it dried out . Then noticed when i washed the car the same area you have the rust hole issue with was wet . Then noticed it was both sides , passenger and drivers side wet . Found out the water was coming from both 1 / 4 sail windows. There are drain holes under the car in a channel , but they were a bit plugged and would not keep up with water flow when washing the car . Our driveway is not flat . When front of car is facing down the water from the 1/4 window leaks flows forward . There is another hole in the channel inside the car , lower down and on both sides passenger and drivers side . Location is close to door hinges . These holes allow water from 1/4 sail window leaks to drain into car . So every time i washed the car i was filling it up with water . And in rains a lot here !
    Last edited by 1981 Capri; 12-27-2022 at 07:13 PM.