Close

FEP User

Default Fibreglass Heat Shield Pad under back seat

There is a fibreglass pad attached to the back seat . The pad is hog ringed onto the lower part of back seat .The pad is located above the muffler . This is a factory item , so the factory knew there was an issue with heat transfer from the muffler area floor pan to the seat . This heat shield pad was covered in plastic , so a bit of a pull to get back seat out when the plastic melted and burnt onto the floor pan . The floor pan above the muffler is so hot you can not put your hand on the floor pan . Not keen on putting the back seat / back in ! The car is a 1981 Capri with a 6cyl engine .Single exhaust . What can be done about this ? maybe wrong muffler was installed ? How common is this ?

FEP Power Member

The original muffler probably had a heat shield strapped to the top. Most replacements don't include the wavey heat shield. I have seen them available separately.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Put some heat insulating mat on the floorboard above the muffler.

And +1 for KevinK's suggestion. See if you can fit an aftermarket heat shield in there somehow.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

hows your timing and your cat? retarded timing can cause exhaust temperatures to get really insane...
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

FEP User

i will check the timing , good idea . Also was told by one shop to not use fuel with ethanol. Maybe carb is off as well .
    Feels like the muffler has a wavey metal heat shield on the top of it , but will get a shop to drop it down for a look see inside , and ad more metal heat shield to top of muffler , or just change the muffler ?
    The car already has this factory fibreglass pad heat shield pad attached to the bottom of the back seat , so add some more ?

Cat , did the car come with a cat ? it was sold new in Canada. Looked under the car , i do not see a cat , but there is something attached to the exhaust manifold , maybe its a light off cat ? If it is , could that be stuck . The engine is an inline 6 , exhaust manifold is on passenger side , then exhaust pipe crosses over to drivers side , muffler is on drivers side , under back seat .

DEI (Design Engineering Inc) has a number of great heat shield products. Try sticking their Floor and Tunnel Shield onto the underneath of the floor above the mufflers. Real good adhesive on a fiberglass backing with an aluminum sheet reflector.I used on the firewall and tunnel of my 66 vette to reduce passenger compartment heat. BIG improvement on a car with not a lot of room for fresh air movement.
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT
    Popular Hot Rodding Project Car '83/84

1983 Capri 331 ci, TKO600

Canadian Capris had cats. My 79 302 had one on the y pipe where the 2 head pipes joined.
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT
    Popular Hot Rodding Project Car '83/84

1983 Capri 331 ci, TKO600

FEP Power Member

Here is a muffler heat shield at Rockauto.
    AP / EASTERN 9206

Typically 4&L6 cylinder cars had a Cat in the middle where the exhaust crossed over from the right side to the left side. At least 84-93.I don't see any pictures of the earlier cars.
    Last edited by KevinK; 09-20-2022 at 11:59 PM.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FEP User

The car will need to go into a shop to sort this out . something is over heating the muffler or the muffler needs more heat shield . I do not see a cat , so must have been removed , but thanks for the info on location of where it would have been.

added on to this post
    found / noticed after how many years ! car has a light off cat mounted to exhaust manifold ? that's a different topic /new thread !

had car into a shop , there is lots of clearance between muffler and body of car , i could put my hand between muffler and body and it had a waffle heat shield , so i guess next is change the muffler , maybe the catalyst from a cat is stuck in muffler ? or maybe its just the muffler its not that old !
    Last edited by 1981 Capri; 10-28-2022 at 05:45 PM.

FEP User

Original post question was how common is this fiberglass heat shield mat under the back seat ?

New Question has any one else noticed or found a fibreglass heat shield mat attached to the under side of the back seat ?

My car is a 6 , single exhaust / one muffler , only one side under seat had the fibreglass mat pad .
    Question ? do dual exhaust cars have two fibreglass mats , one over each muffler ?