Close

Default 1979 Mustang 2.3L Integral A/C system

So I did do a search of the topics related to AC accumulators but couldn't find anything specifically about my current issue. Finally looking to rebuild my factory integral A/C system. It had been working until last summer when it blew the suction line hose from the expansion valve to the compressor. That of course, exposed the system to outside air for quite awhile now. So I had the hose rebuilt using the existing fittings (rubber hose part was replaced). Next I found a new expansion valve, and POA valve that is screwed into the body of the expansion valve. I've also got a hold of a new evaporator core, system o-ring seals, and heater core and will put both in. I'll have the high side hose rebuilt as well.

So finding out that some of the A/C systems for 1979-1981 Mustangs were dealer installed, and the expansion valve, and accumulator were different (and I'm thinking the dealer installed system used a receiver/drier and not an accumulator). My expansion valve is like a rectangular block of aluminum that the the high and low side pass thru. Service port is on the bottom of the block when installed on the car. Problem now is I can't find an accumulator for the 1979 factory installed integral A/C system. And my accumulator is unusable since it was exposed to the atmosphere for so long. I found a possible accumulator replacement manufactured by Global Parts Distributors (GPD): GPD 1411416 but the part is no longer being sold or made. I did call GPD to inquire about it and they confirmed it was out of stock and were not planning to make any more. Searched all over the internet for a few days but no luck.

So if anyone knows of a source for a 1979-81 Intregral (not dealer installed) A/C system accumulator please let me know. Alternatively if it possible for me adapt another accumulator into my system, will the system still function as designed? Can I just have hoses made with proper fitting/o-rings to adapt to the rest of the system? Any help will be much appreciated as always.
    Last edited by radartek; 09-23-2022 at 12:56 PM.

FEP Member

The system should function ok if you can find fittings to connect the pieces together in the proper order. Later Fords use an orifice tube instead of an expansion valve. Rock Auto sells an adapter kit to connect the line from the condenser thru an orifice tube to the evaporator if you need one.

FEP Power Member

I think the accumulators can be rebuilt if needed. Yes the dealer ac is very much different from the factory set up. The Ford 80-89 parts manual is pretty sketchy on the ac section. Maybe the 79 is better.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Update: So I have the Ford Master Parts Catalog 1973-1979. I found the accumulator in Section 197.3 pg. 16. The group number is 19959. Moving on to section 190 pg. 32, I finally found the part number for 1979 Mustang w/ integral A/C. Ford Part Number is D9ZZ 19959-A. Description is YL-119. I found one (1) YL-119 online and will place it on order.

One other thing I found out is there is a Canadian Parts place www.thewrenchmonkey.ca that claims to have the GPD 1411416 accumulator that will fit the integral 1979 Mustang system but their online webpage said to call for price and I didnt receive a return call. Now I'm trying to decide if I should go whole hog and get the condenser coil as well. Then I have a complete new A/C system in it entirety. Anyhow thanks for the responses, they are very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by darkd0r View Post
    The system should function ok if you can find fittings to connect the pieces together in the proper order. Later Fords use an orifice tube instead of an expansion valve. Rock Auto sells an adapter kit to connect the line from the condenser thru an orifice tube to the evaporator if you need one.

Thanks darkd0r. If all else fails I will just get something that fits and plumb it in with the proper fitting and o-rings.

Quote Originally Posted by radartek View Post
    Now I'm trying to decide if I should go whole hog and get the condenser coil as well. Then I have a complete new A/C system in it entirety. Anyhow thanks for the responses, they are very much appreciated.
    Definitely, if that is all you need to make it complete. You're 90% (or more) there.....go ahead and finish it right!

Good luck with it either way.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Are you doing the R134a conversion? I'd go with a newer condenser if so.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    Are you doing the R134a conversion? I'd go with a newer condenser if so.
    I was thinking about doing the conversion but as I understand it, to do it right the Pilot Operated Absolute (POA) valve must be re-calibrated for R134a. The POA on the 1979 Mustang screws into the expansion valve aluminum block. I was able to get it out, and I have a new one but, I'm not sure I can find a shop here locally that can re-calibrate a POA designed for R12. There is a nut and adjustment screw on the POA valve to do it but I don't have the necessary test rig. I've asked a few local shops and they said they don't re-calibrate POA's. They told me that the evaporator in the factory system was not as efficient at heat transfer as a newer 134a system, and I would better off staying with R12. I was able to find a shop that has R12 still that will charge my system up after checking that it will hold a vacuum. I plan to check that it will hold vacuum myself after I piece it together.

Ah. I'm not familiar with the older POA valve set-up requirements.

I just redid the AC on my '85 LTS and converted it to R134a since I needed to replace most of the parts anyway. I reused the evap core and the compressor. All the lines, drier, condenser, orifice were new.

That being said, the AC blows cold with the original evap core, so I'm not sure the difference is that big of a deal.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Chuck, thanks for the info. I got a new evaporator core and will keep the old one for a spare I suppose. Did you end up replacing your condenser coil as well?

Quote Originally Posted by radartek View Post
    Chuck, thanks for the info. I got a new evaporator core and will keep the old one for a spare I suppose. Did you end up replacing your condenser coil as well?
    I kept the original evap core (in the dash) but replaced the condenser. The newer styles are better suited to r134a.

I probably *should've* replaced the evap core when I had the dash and heater box apart replacing the heater core, but I rolled the dice and left it in. Held vacuum just fine when I pulled the system down before charging it.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I kept the original evap core (in the dash) but replaced the condenser. The newer styles are better suited to r134a.

I probably *should've* replaced the evap core when I had the dash and heater box apart replacing the heater core, but I rolled the dice and left it in. Held vacuum just fine when I pulled the system down before charging it.
    That's my next task now it seems. I found and bought a new condenser D9ZZ 19712A (Mustang 1979-1980 Integral A/C) that should arrive late next week. I'm going to have the two lines from the condenser/accumulator rebuilt as well. I'm going to replace all o-rings/seals just to make sure I have no leaks due to old seals. But looks like first I have to pull the dash to get the old evap and heater core out. I would post pics but the forum keeps telling me I have exceeded my limit of posted pics. Wish I knew how to fix that. Also just realized I'll have to add a relay as I converted to electric fans. I'll wire it to the A/C clutch engage wire. That should do it. I don't believe that the A/C cycles on/off in the 1979-1980.
    Last edited by radartek; 09-23-2022 at 01:04 PM.

Default one way to make a small pic file for inserting into a post message

i resize new personal pics for posting with good old MS Windows Paint. Is fast and simple to use once familiar with it.
    Its the total photo kb file size that eats up kb allowed.

MS Windows Paint:
    Tab-File-open photo to resize
    Tab-Image- select stretch/skew
    Enter 'Stretch' values of 30% to 50% horizontal and vertical. This reduces a std pic of say 500kb+ rez to usually under 50kb.
    Select 'Save file as' and rename it xxxx 3030.jpg or whatever to a folder easily found. The original pic will be untouched.
    To insert small pic into post, position curser in post, select insert image icon, find file and upload the modded version.
    Preview post to view or correct results before submitting. Pic size will show at manage attachments option area
    Uploading and inserting resized pics only works with saved pic files.

Sideways pic can be corrected to upright when rotated in Paint if taken with phone held in the wrong position using Image- flip/rotate option.
    Paint is also good if needing to highlight, or draw arrows, circles, without wreaking the original pic.

I also resize photos sent via email so they easily fit the screen without scrolling.
    Done using email program Insert Image tab, pic size reset to 640 x 480 before inserting (not attaching).

Thanks gr. I'll try that next time I need to post a pic.

Ah. I'm not familiar with the older POA valve set-up requirements.

I just redid the AC on my '85 LTS and converted it to R134a since I needed to replace most of the parts anyway. I reused the evap core and the compressor. All the lines, drier, condenser, orifice were new.

That being said, the AC blows cold with the original evap core, so I'm not sure the difference is that big of a deal.
    Turns out the condenser core is not available after all. I can get the later model condenser core 82-93 from LMR, but will I need adapt the fittings on the LMR core? It looks like one of the fittings is a quick connect/disconnect. I'm assuming I would still use an accumulator and not a receiver/drier since the remainder of the system is basically OEM. This is becoming more complicated the more I get into it.
    Last edited by radartek; 09-26-2022 at 03:13 PM.

I can't speak to the accumulator vs drier.

My system was original and had a drier. All the parts hoses and drier I purchased were the same as what was on the car.

The old condenser was a tube/fin design and the replacement was a parallel flow. Both had the same quick connect fittings on them.

Do you have any pictures of the set-up for your car?
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I can't speak to the accumulator vs drier.

My system was original and had a drier. All the parts hoses and drier I purchased were the same as what was on the car.

The old condenser was a tube/fin design and the replacement was a parallel flow. Both had the same quick connect fittings on them.

Do you have any pictures of the set-up for your car?
    Working on the pics. I have the condenser removed from the car. It was actually quite easy. Just removed the top radiator brackets and moved it back a little, then I was able to get to the brackets for the condenser quite easily. Then the condenser slid out nicely. I thought I was going to have to remove the entire front clip. I was able to find a replacement OEM accumulator on Ebay part # D9AZ-19959-A 1979 CROWN VICTORIA, LTD, WAGON, MERCURY (FULL SIZE) MARQUIS 34347 . This is the same exact part but due to different car model it had a different part number. I bought 3 of them at $15/ea. Quite a bargain for a hard to find part. I've already compared it to the one I have currently on the condenser and can confirm its an exact match.

Name:  mustangcondenserB.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  28.6 KB

Name:  mustangcondenserA (2).jpg
Views: 49
Size:  113.6 KB

The high side connection has me a little puzzled. I'm getting ready to put the system back together, but can't find the correct high side adapter so I can pull a vacuum on it . I ordered an adapter 3/16 FFL x 1/4 MFL fitting but fitting did not screw onto the high side fitting. It was too large. I checked the high side fitting size with a nut/bolt gauge and the hole it fit into was a 5/16. A standard tire valve cap screws onto the fitting nicely. So I ordered a 5/16 FFL x 1/4 MFL fitting.
    Last edited by radartek; 10-21-2022 at 09:18 PM.