Close

Default Harbor freight tool

I know this is probably gonna cause some arguments, but i am curious how everyone feels about harbor freight. 14 years ago when i got my first car, my $110 cougar, i spent a ton of money on "good" tools. Mainly craftsman, but i always tried to buy American and name brands. I spent a majority of what i made back then on tools and parts for my car. A few times i was drawn in by the cheap prices at harbor freight.

I bought a 3 ton jack, after a craftsman 2 ton collapsed under the weight of my car. Then i ended up with an engine puller and stand. Still have those, my jack still works perfectly although a bit rusty. My engine puller has a bit of bleed down with weight on it, but it sat outside for probably 5 years. Engine stand lost a wheel clip, but otherwise works good.

Now my sockets and tools from harbor freight back then, total garbage. I broke 3 breaker bars in a row, first was a craftsman, then ran down to harbor freight (was junkyarding) and broke two more. Split or broke off sockets every time i used them. Now craftsman quality seems to be dropping and harbor freight seems to be getting a ton better.

The last few years however, quality seems to be much improved. I got a 225 peice toolset as a junkyard kit, and its become my main go to set of tools. When i did my head gaskets on my 88xr7, i broke off every 9/16" bolt or bolt head doing just the exhaust. Actually a few are still stuck in the sockets... tools held up fine through, and no complaints what so ever.

Last month i picked up a bauer 1/4" impact gun. I was a catv lineman. Not a satelite or hook it up at your house kinda guy, the guy that ran the fiber optics or picked the cable off the road after a pole snapped. I hated the old nicad 18v dewalts. Battery drained quick and just a bit whimpy.

I ended up getting the first brushless and lithium ion 18v tool id ever seen, a Makita. I abused the crap out of that thing. Drilled through 20" poles with a 3/4" bit 10+ times a day. Dropped 20' onto concrete more then once. For 5 years or so, it was amazing until the batterys all crapped out within weeks of each other.

Im no longer a lineman, but still do odd jobs and on occasion still do construction from time to time. For $70 out the door, this little bauer 20v 1/4" hex impact driver has surprised the crap out of me. I bought a 1/2" adapter and pulled it right out of the box. To test it out, i tried it on a lug nut. It removed a lug nut in 5 seconds or so.

Now it is a brushed tool, no replaceable brushes, but it blew me away. I charged up the battery and used it for half a day on anything i could think of. It did a really good job, didn't let me down once, and is still showing 2/3 bars. Supposedly the tool line up will be expanded including a angle grinder and sawsall. Not gonna call it a dewalt killer by any means, but it is very comparable to a dewalt brushed setup and priced much cheaper. Only a 90 day satisfaction guarantee, but for $17 more you can get a two year.

Harbor freight has really been stepping up the game lately imho. There is still some junk one time use crap, but overall everything seems to be getting much better. I will probably buy the 1/2" hammer drill and other tools when the line up is expanded. At $20 a battery, i dont see how i can go wrong. Also been trying to talk myself out of the 44" toolbox for a while.

Just curious what other people think and what you end up with when tool shopping.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I agree that Harbor Freight quality has improved a lot over the years. When they first opened a store in my town there wasn't much they sold that I'd be willing to buy, but I did get two impact socket sets, one metric and one SAE and I still have them and haven't broken one yet. Their early battery tools were really bad in my opinion. I bought a drill that had no guts at all and the battery went dead really fast, so that turned me away from their electrical stuff for many years. One bad experience can do that sometimes.

Over the years I bought a lot so stuff from them that I was happy with though. I have two engine stands and my cherry picker from HF and can't complain about them at all. When I was installing my lift I needed a good sized SDS drill for the anchor bolt holes and found I could buy one at HF for about what it would cost to rent one for a day at Tel-Power so I took the chance and bought one. The bits that came with it were crap but once I bought a good bit the drill worked great. I don't have a lot of occasion to use it but it seems to be well made and since it didn't cost anymore than a rental would have it's like a free tool. Hard to beat that!

Like you I started out buying only Craftsman hand tools 30+ years ago when they were a top quality made in the USA brand and those tools have stood the test of time. Now however I don't think the HF hand tools are any less quality than the Craftsman, they may even be better.

So yeah, I have no problem buying Harbor Freight stuff in general. Unless you're buying off a tool truck at absurd prices what you buy is all off shore tools anyways no matter where you buy them, so why not?
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

I actually buy a fair amount of items from them, but I have always been fairly particular about what I get from them.

As far as power tools go, I haven't really bought much from them that I expect to use long term. Cordless drills, etc. I usually spend the money on proven brands that have a good track record. I did buy a 1/2" chuck corded hammer drill for around $12 that has actually far exceeded my expectations and has lived through around 150 holes in the concrete. It runs hot and you can smell the brushes...but it still works good.

I have had decent luck with their pneumatic tools and compressors. The compressor and nail guns I got seem to be well built and haven't failed to work for me. Again these purchases were more for a one time quick remodel job and they have been through 3 major remodels now and still function like day one.

I'm probably the most guilty of buying hand tools from them. Wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers and other odds and ends and I have yet to really find anything to complain about. As I used to travel the country doing heavy service work on industrial refrigeration systems, these tools were subjected to major abuse and I never have had one fail on me or be so horrible I threw it in the trash. Couple that with some really good pricing and it's worth the chance. If you have ever priced out a 2 1/2" or 50mm box end wrench that will be used once in a blue moon, you would be quick to pay the $50 for the 6 piece jumbo set from Harbor Freight instead of the $250+ price for one wrench.

I have no complaints against them...but my standards are pretty realistic.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

As stated, I believe Harbor Freight has improved many of their tool and equipment offerings over the years. I too have bought stuff from them every since they opened their doors.

I did buy an air saw from them a couple of years ago and the thing is a POS right out of the box. Won't cut thru anything stronger or thicker than a piece of paper. I have used a couple of their spray guns and have to give them credit for good quality. Nothing like my SATA guns, but 1/5th - 1/10th the price so I won't complain. I generally don't buy their electrical tools as again I haven't had good luck. I will buy one occasionally for the one time job that requires that one tool you will NEVER use again!

I have bought some of their basic hand tools over the years and most are decent. I did buy a set of think large wrenches in a case recently and they were HORRIBLE. The sizes and shape of the wrenches were all wrong and didn't fit anything. I immediately took them back for a refund and ended up buying the one wrench I HAD to have at Home Depot of all places since NOBODY else had that size on the shelf here in the Metropolis of Grand Junction.

As with most things you get what you pay for. I have tools from Snap On, Mac Tools, Craftsman, Cornwell, etc. as well as Rigid, Dewalt, Porter Cable, Makita, etc. Generally the more $$ you spend the better the quality and longevity of said tool, BUT that doesn't mean you HAVE TO spend the big bucks just because it says Snap On, Dewalt, etc. I just consider how often I will need/use the tool and for how long I expect to use it and buy accordingly.

I personally have just about given up on Craftsman tools and Sears. The quality isn't the same and the service and stock in the stores is terrible these days. Hell I even tried to order online from Sears for some tools and they didn't even offer it in Craftsman, they were selling some other brand I had never heard of! So sad to see such a great brand with great quality and great pricing being ruined. Oh Well Rant off!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

Craftsman is pretty much all Chinese tools anymore so I generally stay away from them. I own a wheel bearing puller adapter set from Harbor Freight mostly because I could not find a comparable tool anywhere else at the time, but that is about all. I don't really care how much Harbor Freight tools have improved. I am not going to start shopping there.

Now when I am tool shopping I usually look at S-K (still made in USA and reasonably priced) or other used made in USA tools. I picked up an old made in USA Walker floor jack from an auto repair shop earlier this year that I have to rebuild. I also found a nice made in USA OTC ball joint press in like new condition for the same price as the version that they sell at H-F that is made from lead coated butter . If you keep your eyes open and don't need something right now you can find quality tools for not a lot of money.

Yeah, Craftsman is dead to me. Move your production overseas and still charge the same prices? F*** you. Not only that, the two closest Sears to me closed. Good riddance.

I often find myself in the position of needing tools your standard auto parts store, hardware store, or even big box home center won't carry (in stock), like an odd size drill bit or whatever. Harbor Freight is just now expanding into my market. I've found what I needed there. I'll tell you what, next time that happens, Harbor Freight will be the first place I go! They might be the best tool store in my market!

We also have Northern Tool, which looks impressive when you walk in, but they just never seem to have what I need. They have a bunch of stuff for building trailers, maintaining RVs, some hydraulic stuff, and then tiny Automotive and Tool departments. What's their specialty? Who's their customer? I have no idea. I wanted to like it, I really did, but nope.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I've got no qualms shopping there. Craftsman's made in China now and Snap-On is too expensive. Usually I wind up buying whatever I need for the job at hand at the parts store, though.
    I wanted to buy a service cart from them recently but the floor model didn't fill me with confidence.

Harbor frieght in my opinion is still on the bottom low end for me. I have all American craftsman tools and absolutely hate the fact they went Chinese and won't buy them anymore. I do buy as much American as possible.
    My new go to tools are at lowes. Kobalt impresses the heck out of me, I know it's not American but they are great comfortable tools in my opinion.
    Rob

current cars:
    83 GT Convertible
    83 Project GT T-Top Coupe
    84 GT T-Top Hatch
    86 GT Hatch low mile car
    00 V-6 Convertible

all white cars!

I have had mixed luck with HF. I have SAE and Metric impact sockets that have been great, and 1/2" impact extensions that are still holding up. My engine stands, one cart and my shop press are from there and I haven't had any issues. I haven't bought any electric tools from HF but my experience with their air tools is that they are basically disposable. I have snapped pry bars, cracked a handful of regular sockets and one o2 sensor socket. The PS pulley puller and steering wheel puller I got there are both garbage but the 3-jaw puller and ball joint press are holding up well.

I have some of my grandfather's old Snap-on wrenches and ratchets, some old craftsman tools (made in USA) and a few pieces each from MAC, Matco, S-K. I will say it does seem like you get what you pay for. I have no trouble going to HF for a tool I might use once or twice but for the tools I use every day (or anything important like TQ wrenches) I am moving my collection more up-market.
    -Randy
    '83 Mustang GL notchback - 351w - T5Z
    '84 Mustang GT350 20th Anniversary Hatch #2808 - 302 - T5
    ''92 Mustang LX Hatch - 2.3t - IRS (in progress)

HF can be hit, ok, or miss. Gold, works fine, or junk.
    The stores have an 'import' aroma to them from the packaging or something.
    Good place to browse when spare time is available.
    Found items normally could not afford to buy else ware, or even find.

Had my eye on the milling vice for my tabletop drill press.
    But then have to go thru it per reviews on setup to make it work right?
    Amazon has some interesting alternatives for less.

Have a HF 1/4 pneumatic rivet gun works excellent, paying for itself quickly, as has the yellow rolling scaffold.
    Another is a certain flex socket wrench no one else sells that easily tightens certain hard to reach fasteners.
    HF digital calipers work fine after many uses.
    HF electric hoist works perfectly.
    HF 2T aluminum jack ok, leaks a little, but price was right.
    HF auto service tools ok.
    HF tap and die ok.
    HF auto dark welding helmet works great. Welding supplies? pass.
    HF 10 ton press, HF cherry picker are fine.
    HF 4.5" spare grinder fine. Saves changing out wheels. A reconditioned Sears (Dewalt) one is still my main one.
    HF right angle die grinder works fine.
    The free blue led square palm light, tape measures, work fine.

Batteries? Buy Ray-O-Vac bulk when on sale from HDepot. HF Buttons ones are ok.
    HF grinding wheels, saw blades, eh nah.
    HF wing nut assortment. Absolute junk. Wings break off easily.
    HF air horns are junk.

Times and products change.
    Sadly, Craftsman and Sears for one. Not the only game in town anymore.
    Quality sockets, power tools, and similar can be sourced easier from big box home stores.
    Last edited by gr79; 08-03-2017 at 09:32 AM.

SK tools are absolutely outstanding - especially for the price. The amount of abuse my dad's SK socket set has withstood over the past 50 years he has owned it is the stuff of legends. I've never seen another 3/8 drive set put up with repeat use of a 4' long cheater bar with two grown men applying force, but we used it frequently for engine teardown when my dad was actively rebuilding them, etc. I bought a set not too long ago that had all the exact same markings and seemed to be of the same quality. It if course disappeared very quickly during an event setup I got volunteered to help do - guess I'll get a HF set for that purpose .... lol. Really a great. Nothing taken away from higher end stuff like Snapon.

Craftsman is one where I'll go to the pawn shop looking for old tools before I'll go to sears or ace after new Craftsman. Really have ruined the brand but that's what happens when a business is failing. What sucks is it's not like Walmart is bringing a quality tool to the world that fills the hole created.

I have HF impact sockets and they have taken a real beating as I work on my old rust bucket. They've held up great. Their impacts compared to the quality I grew accustom to is junk. So many twisted off bolts rather than removed - it's a design flaw in my opinion. They generate too much metal fatigue in the bolts they are turning. Just my experience. It's not like I had the gun cranked up on high and let it eat, just have had terrible luck with letting mine hammer anything loose without twisting it off.

DAs, air files..... good for about two cars that need basic strip/fill/prep.

Spray guns - agreed. Not bad for the money.

Compressors is an interesting one. The one I saw in their lineup appeared to be basically a ripoff of a 90 year old line of mills. When you look at parts it's right down to the bearings on the rotating assembly. And BTW those old guys were absolute workhorse compressors too.

Generators - I'd buy their 900 watt again for sure. Dig a hole and toss a tote over it partially - it's just as quiet as the hondas at the campground at 1/5 the price. Mine has always started on the first pull and usually runs 8 1/2 hours per tank at around 600-700 watts load. Around 6 being overloaded by two 500 watt quarts lights.

Wire welders. I have their smallest flux core wire feed. It does great on light to medium thickness steel. It has enough oomph to blow through the metal on the stock K member if your feed speed is wrong. Welds on that an on my sons subframe connectors look nice and professional. It's cheap to run and works on a 15 amp 110-120v outlet. If your 15A breaker is old and not 100% it may pop it though. I use my 12-3 wired 20 amp circuit when I can at home. No complaints about their electronic masks either. Pretty nice compared to the old mask I have from Forney.

i've had the HF 1 1/2T aluminum jack for about 10 years. Still works, but has to be bled periodically to keep a decent stroke. Their power steering pulley puller set is garbage. Broke mine on the second use, but they did exchange it after I made a scene at the register in front of other customers. I got a replacement ram for my engine hoist, seems to work well. They used to sell some brand name stuff a while back. I got a Hobart 135 mig from their catalog.

Side note: sears sold Craftsman to Stanley tools in Jan 2017. Stanley's CEO hinted at an increased U.S. manufacturing presence. So maybe there's hope for that brand. http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/05/inve...ker/index.html

Last tool bought at HF was a pickle fork.
    But not much can go wrong with a hot forged fork meant for a mechanic to go medieval on.
    But I have two Craftman's ratchets that slip constantly.
    They will be replaced by SK, Kolbalt Or maybe spend some green on Snapon ones.
    Bought a Snapon 3/8 stubby ratchet for around $30 in '89.
    It's been in my work tool set 28 years now, takes a lickin and keeps on clickin.
    Good buy in my eyes
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Many many years ago I got an electric grinder at HF to cut up some metal. Also a stack of 4.5" metal cutting wheels. I still have it today after cutting up a list of stuff I would be embarrassed to post. Just trust me that this thing has cut up a lot of floor pans, quarter panels, roof sections, frame rails, cowls, and the list goes on. A good 14 years I've been using this thing and its still going strong.

The battery charger I got there for next to nothing also lasted for 10+ years before it finally fried out one day. Gave me a lot of service for not much money though.

Got their cheap fuel injection gauge set. It does what I need, and hasnt let me down yet.

At a place I used to work, I ran a very expensive machine. This machine had a 19mm allen bolt for a drain, and guess what. It stripped out. A trip to HF and I had a whole set of metric allen sockets. Took the 19mm out. Beat it into the hole with a sledge hammer, welded it in place. Its still in there.. and never broke.

I use their cut off wheels, sandpaper, and gloves all the time. For the money, cant beat it.

Their tools are looking nicer and nicer every year. While nearly every other brand is worse.. like Craftsman. Screw them with a capitol S. Of course the old stuff is awesome, but it will break and your only option now is to find another used one. I still have my old craftsman from back in the day. But I dont use them any more. I have a funny feeling that within our lifetime those old USA made tools will take on an almost collector status. You can already see it slowly starting.

If I have a dirty job, or a one time use kind of thing, or just need something NOW, HF is my first stop.

Just to throw a wrench into this whole thread, I'll explain why i finally made the switch to mainly harbor freight stuff.

I was a construction worker, and i would travel alot. Along the way, tools got lost, stolen and obviously broken. I spent big money on the things i needed and used a ton. One example was my Makita. It was the most expensive drill short of a hilti at that time. Same goes for pliers. You wouldn't beleive what a good set of Klein 9" lineman pliers would cut without a mark on the blade. I spliced cable at 90-100v hot, while it was still active a ton. A cheap set of dikes or pliers would weld themselves when it would spark and blow a fuse.

Next was a really slow winter. In winter construction slows down to a crawl. At the end of the year, its cold, a bunch of holidays come up, and most contracts are re-negotiated or updated, plus lining up work for the next year.

Instead of getting laid off, i used to work in the shop. The mechanics liked me because i could keep a truck running and actually checked fluids and could tell them what was wrong when something broke. I did everything from parts running to oil changes and occasionally helped them with bigger jobs or long drawn out stuff that they didn't want to do. Some days all i did was sweep and mop the floors.

Got to get tk know the mechanics, and their tools really well. Especially when a tool broke, as i was the one getting it replaced or warrantied. The boss/owner liked toys. Sandrails and sports cars. He liked to flip stuff like landrovers and Mercedes for profit. Also had a few old hot rods, a 1920's studebaker cop car, all kinds of stuff like that.

The mechanics used pretty much all harbor freight stuff unless they had no other choice. They did pull em out on luch breaks and working on their own pet projects and trucks. One day i asked them why they didn't use the nice tools and tool carts they spent so much money on. They said, im not gonna ruin all my nice tools and get them all dirty. Plus there are a number of times you have to hack or modify stuff to make it work. I remeber one of our track hoes had a $1200 tool. It was a special keyed 3/4" drive socket. When ours broke, i bought a 3/4" drive socket set for $40. We used one socket and cut a slot into it and welded a fitting to it to make it work.

Then the shop forman said you'd have to be stupid to spend all that money and abuse the tools. He said tbe tool box and insides were the resume. If you are a good mechanic and spent a ton on tools, it proves that you are a good mechanic. The first thing he said be got asked when interviewing was a list of tools. Radely did he ever fill out an application until he was already hired.

I spent alot of time replacing stuff at harbor freight. Got to know the guys there really well, and never really had an issue.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

I have plenty of HF tools and no complaints....jack, hydraulic wheel dollies, wrenches, allens, nut drivers, sockets, screw drivers, pliers, small air compressor and drivers, etc,. When I moved to the house I am in now it had two garages. I wanted tools in both garages so I went to HF with a list to duplicate most of the "typical" tools I would need without running from garage to garage.

I don't use my tools for a living, so I don't get reimbursed or write them off in any way. Therefore I see no reason to buy top of the line for my "shade tree" mechanical needs from time to time.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Default Partial eclipse event 4/8/24

HF Auto Dark 87854 bought 7/2013, works fine for the eclipse event.
    Been sitting in its box for years had to check if it still works.
    Viewed event couple times few seconds but have better things to do.
    Bigger views live on tv.

A good auto darking welding helmet is a must have for safer welding.
    Makes mig welding much more fun big help gaining bead skill for better results.
    Last edited by gr79; 04-08-2024 at 02:52 PM.