Close

Default Original TFI Module and PIP Sensor Part Numbers

What is the correct original part numbers for the TFI Module and PIP sensor for my 84 gt turbo?
    My car was displaying signs of failing tfi/pip after a drive and heat soaking when sitting(hard to start when hot unless holding gas pedal to keep idle up for a short time, no code 14 but my tbird didnt give one either when they went bad) so i decided to replace them.
    I replaced the idle air solenoid before this as well but that was because its 40 years old and i had a few bucks for something.
    I purchased a new TFI module "before" removing the old one and based on every site i checked i got motorcraft dy-1248 but after putting it in i didnt like the way it ran in the garage.
    Im going back there today to take it for a drive and since ill have to pull the distributor that means ill start fixing other stuff and then thats the end of my fall driving season with this car.
    The old one that came off was e6sf-12a297-a1a and other than the heat thing ran perfectly fine with it.
    But, after running the numbers for that part i get different compatibility numbers like dy-1074, couldnt find that anywhere.
    The problem is i dont know what this car even came with originally. I would rather go by that than what im dealing with now.

Not sure if this will help but here is RockAuto's MC part for your engine...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=7172&jsn=605

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Quote Originally Posted by webestang View Post

Thanks for the reply.
    Thats what i installed to replace the old one, and it idles ruff and stumbles when returning to idle untill it warms up some.
    It was not doing that when i replaced the idle air solenoid, before replacing the TFI. The wiring to the TFI wasnt that bad and i got away with a few coats liquid electrical tape on what was like a year ago, but it still passes the wiggle test.
    Im going to reinstall the old TFI for now, since i cleaned it up and popped the cover off and inspected it and it shows no signs of corrosion or heating on the board, and see if this continues and search for the actual correct replacement TFI, which is why i want the original part numbers that wouldve come on it brand new.
    I havent gotten to the PIP sensor yet, im hoping itll hold out while i search around for an oem or nos replacement but the original part numbers would save me some time from pulling it to get them.

FEP Senior Member

Don't discount the possibility of a bad TFI module (even Motorcraft) out of the box.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

wonder why that didnt pop up when searching for my 88 Cougar 5.0? It shows as applicable to 5.0 cars as well...
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

My 85 2.3 TFI would get hot and cut out or have a rough idle no matter whos module I installed. I had to finally get a relocate kit and mount it on the inner fender to have a smooth idle and no cut out do to over heating.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    Don't discount the possibility of a bad TFI module (even Motorcraft) out of the box.
    One thing i am concerned about considering whats left available.

My 85 2.3 TFI would get hot and cut out or have a rough idle no matter whos module I installed. I had to finally get a relocate kit and mount it on the inner fender to have a smooth idle and no cut out do to over heating.

If it wasnt for me wanting to keep things as original as i possibly can i wouldve done this.
    Considering how common that mod is and how accessible 3d printing is im surprised there isnt a ready made remote pip cable for these out there.

I have had good luck with an msd TFI module mounted on the 5.0. the flaps TFI modules were a bit suspect
    I still have my original motircraft TFI and that worked fine as well. Can you find another one to try?
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Can someone tell me if this part number is "correct" for the PIP sensor?

E67E-12AH2-A2A

The nos parts store ignition module i bought wound up being a motorcraft one in the box instead.
    Might even be used.
    I get nothing searching around with this number.

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    I have had good luck with an msd TFI module mounted on the 5.0. the flaps TFI modules were a bit suspect
    I still have my original motircraft TFI and that worked fine as well. Can you find another one to try?
    After taking it out for a short drive today im buying another one(different number tfi based on the old ones number) to try and putting the old one back on till it gets here. Very disappointed.
    Ran poorly from the moment it started all the way to the gas station.

I wish I could be more help but I am sure the 5.0 pip is different. I used a flaps one on my old dizzy and I think it was duralast and it worked fine. The TFI is a bit more difficult, even the computer recognized my msd wasn't a motorcraft. Works fine but some engine diagnostics won't work with it (COER).
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.