Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Front Sway Bar Link Length

Going through the front end of my '85 LTD wagon. I noticed that the sway bar link bushings had seen better days. I ordered some Energy Suspension end links with poly bushings (98121G). I'm usually pretty keen on checking other applications since it isn't uncommon to find LTD Crown Victoria parts listed for this car (thanks Ford for building two different cars with the same name in the same year). I checked and it did list 79-93 Mustang as another application so I figured I was pretty safe.

I got the end links yesterday and noticed that the spacer that goes between the control arm and the bar is a bit longer than the parts that I took off. On the new parts the spacer is 4.5" and on the parts I took off the car they are 3.375". I did not pay attention to how parallel the sway bar was to the ground when I took it off.

I can always cut the spacer as needed since the bolt seems to be the same length between the two (not sure on threaded length yet), but I thought this was strange. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Name:  Sway Bar End Link.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  245.6 KB
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

I vaguely recall that there are different lengths available, because I seem to recall buying the shorter version for my (lowered) Mustang. But I probably wouldn't worry about it and would just cut them to the length I needed.

Edit: Looking on summitracing.com, it looks like 9.8119G is the one you want - that shows it has a 3.375" sleeve length. There are also sets that are longer and shorter than that, if you measure and decide that the stock 3.375" isn't what you actually want.
    Last edited by Patrick Olsen; 09-10-2022 at 01:07 PM.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

FEP Senior Member

Thanks Patrick. I think I may cut the sleeve slightly longer than 3.375". I installed them with the 4.5" sleeves and it just looked a little tall with the suspension at full droop. The threads on the new bolts are slightly shorter than the old ones so I don't want to go down to 3.375" and run out of thread. The old bolts were actually slightly bent otherwise I'd just reuse the old bolts and sleeves, but then I also wouldn't have shiny new parts on my car.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

It's all about the shiny parts.

These measurements are off of a 1983 Mustang convertible with the TRX package/ `1 1/8 front sway bar.....
    Stock sleeve measures 4 9/16....
    New maximum motorsports "short" end link kit sleeve for 1 1/2" drop spring
    3 3/4 ".....
    Hope this helps...