Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Oops! Yeah, I figured that out. Lol!

Found a decent pair of '81 Cougar lights. Total price $120 shipped for the pair.

Hilarious side note: (sort of). USAA provided me their 'repair estimate ' based on pics and video I sent them. OMG!!!! Their TOTAL for 'parts' (two taillights) was $18.07!

I emailed them back and asked if that was a joke. I challenged them to find me ANY taillight for ANY car that could be purchased for $18 a pair. That may have been their cost in 1981, but I'm pretty sure this is 2022.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richpet; 10-01-2022 at 10:26 PM.
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

It's a $10k car, with time and money invested. Taillights are unobtainium, therefore a total. Buy it back for scrap price.

Mike

If I have to I will. But my preference would be repaired. In the meantime I am happy to still be able to drive it.

83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

I bet a lot of the early fox cars with say aero noses or different year tails were changed due to the lack of correct year parts to replace damaged parts..

I purchased a pair of Cougar taillights over the weekend. They are en route.

So of course, I located a pair of '81 Granada taillights last night (the wife did I should say). I will probably buy them too. $150 for the pair.

Best way to find what you need is to buy something else first I guess.

Edit - looks like the ones I 'found' may be a scammer.

Last edited by richpet; 10-04-2022 at 10:18 PM.

So, I am having to make a pest of myself with USAA to try and get the 'supplement' (amount above their estimate done via pics/vid) approved so I can get my car fixed. As we all know, relatively few body shops will even touch a 40+ year old car. No less then 8 phone calls from me to date. Not counting the ones by the body shops.
    As a veteran I considered switching to them, but at this point feel so angered at their handling of this claim that that is no longer on the table.
    First, they sent the claim and supplement requests to the wrong people.
    I have the name/phone/extension of the person assigned this claim, but am not allowed to reach the person via email or phone (VM). WTF?
    It has been since 9/5 and still I don't even have confirmation they will cover the damage.
    Since I recently retired I have the time available to be a pest, so here I go...

We have no medical claims in this.
    We refused a rental car replacement.

I think when i call them Friday I will ask for a rental paid for by them. If they want to drag their feet I may as well spend less on gas in the meantime.

Last edited by richpet; 10-12-2022 at 10:22 PM.

That's a tough situation, sorry to hear this. Insurance companies have always been tough to deal with, even more so as of late. I wish you luck my friend
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Thanks. I think there was a time insurance companies cared about people. Not so sure of that any more.
    Oh well. I have the time, I have the drive. I just want to be treated fairly and am more than willing to work towards that. It just bugs me that a person can essentially be 'victimized' with no recourse. I told USAA I was sorry that their insured hit a rare car, but that wasn't my fault and perhaps they should take that up with their insured? That they chose to insure him so they should live up to their promise.
    And in the long run if it helps set a precedent, great!

Last edited by richpet; 10-12-2022 at 10:52 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12