Close

Default Introducing Myself Here

Just introducing myself here, had to use a new name since i couldnt get the old one going again.

Pics are of the 84 gt turbo vert and 83 thunderbird heritage i currently have and tinker on in my free time.

Nice, welcome back...

Quote Originally Posted by 1982GLX View Post
    Nice, welcome back...
    Thanks, i used to post under Ductape91 here years ago occasionally, but after a year of emailing the site since i forgot my password and never getting a single response i just gave up and made a new one.

New User

Hey, welcome to the group!

Was doing some Fox Mustang reading and came across a couple of tidbits of information pertaining to your car that you may be interested in (or may already know!).

First, some production number info. Of the 32,914 GT Mustangs that Ford made in 1984, only 6,256 were GT convertibles. Included in those numbers, they also only made a total of 3,798 Turbo GT's (hatchbacks and verts combined). And notably, Ford didn't offer the turbo 2.3L engine in the convertible until mid-year of 1984, which is late in the model year. The combination of the turbo engine in a convertible for the 1984 model year Mustang GT was short lived, as they would have changed over to the 1985 model year in the fall of 1984. So I would think the majority of '84 GT verts would have been 5 liter cars, making yours relatively rare, imo.

Second, some engine comparison info. The Turbo GT 2.3L engine makes 145hp, versus 175 hp for the turbocharged 2.3L SVO engine. The higher rating of the SVO engine is partially attributable to it being intercooled. Quoting from The Official Ford Mustang 5.0 Technical Reference & Performance Handbook (where all this post's info is from) "The SVO engine received mechanical advantages from its forged pistons, multipoint electronic fuel injection, fresh air intake system, and all the more aggressive fuel and spark calibrations that the addition of an intercooler to the turbo system allowed."
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    Was doing some Fox Mustang reading and came across a couple of tidbits of information pertaining to your car that you may be interested in (or may already know!).

First, some production number info. Of the 32,914 GT Mustangs that Ford made in 1984, only 6,256 were GT convertibles. Included in those numbers, they also only made a total of 3,798 Turbo GT's (hatchbacks and verts combined). And notably, Ford didn't offer the turbo 2.3L engine in the convertible until mid-year of 1984, which is late in the model year.
    All of your production numbers except the 6256 GT convertible number, and your production dates, are not correct. The 32914 number does not include the turbo engine (Turbo GT, G.T.350) and is too high by one. The 3798 number is too low by 175. The Turbo GT convertible was available about four months after regular production started. Regular production started mid August 1983 and Turbo GT convertible production started mid December 1983. Turbo GT convertible production ran for 8.5 months.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 05-08-2023 at 04:20 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks FoxChassis. Appears there is quite a bit of incorrect info in the reference book I used.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

There is some incorrect info in all of the books available right now.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

It surprises me how expensive these things were back then, like a 1000 bucks more than a v8 gt convertible before options. The svo, coming out that year, was more expensive but it also had alot more going on for the money.

Edit: i was wrong the v8 gt vert was $13,247 and the gt turbo vert was $13,441 base price, mixed it up with the lx vert price at $11,840.
    Last edited by 1984GTTurboVert; 05-08-2023 at 03:06 PM.