Close

Default Newer TFI coil in a Dura spark II system

Can I use the coil in the newer fox bodies ( I believe they are called TFI coils) in my stock 83 dura spark II ignition system?? Some have said yes, others say the red resistor wire can be a problem with the newer coil??
    Any experience doing this on here.. Thanks

I have it on my '79. It works fine, I've had it on there for about 4 years but not alot of miles

Have run one on my '83 Bird with the MSD box and MSD distributor for years with zero issues. Got the bracket to mount it to the driver shock tower from LMR.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...1&d=1418488062
    '83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...2&d=1418488063
    '93 331W Mustang coupe that beat your mom's LTD

Thanks for the responses.... Want to keep all stock duraspark parts and add a TFI coil.. My new Summit carb fuel feed requires me to move the stock can coil from the intake manifold . If a TFI coil would work, it would be a bolt on affair with the stock TFI bracket.....
    I want to keep the existing resistor wire that some say if you remove it, you will fry your Duraspark II control box, but if kept you will not give enough voltage to the TFI coil to work properly....... ??????

Will the stock duraspark box cause any fitment problems with a TFI coil and bracket mounted in the stock location on the pass strut tower?

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    Thanks for the responses.... Want to keep all stock duraspark parts and add a TFI coil.. My new Summit carb fuel feed requires me to move the stock can coil from the intake manifold . If a TFI coil would work, it would be a bolt on affair with the stock TFI bracket.....
    I want to keep the existing resistor wire that some say if you remove it, you will fry your Duraspark II control box, but if kept you will not give enough voltage to the TFI coil to work properly....... ??????
    You can mount the old style coil on the fender with the same bracket. Just need the longer coil wire
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0