Close

FEP Senior Member

Default LTD Cobra Brake Parking Brake Connection

I am in the process of swapping over to 94-98 Cobra brakes front and rear on my '85 LTD wagon. I had read that the 91-92 Mark VII rear parking brake cables were the ones to get to properly connect on my car (keep in mind I have a foot pedal not a hand brake like on a Mustang). I have the parking brake connected to the caliper on the passenger side. I am trying to connect the driver's side. I have the parking brake adjustment all the way out, the cable is disconnected from the driver's caliper and I'm giving her all the mustard I've got and I cannot get the driver's side to connect to the cable that goes into the pulley/lever mechanism. Even if I could get that connected I don't think I would be able to connect the cable to the caliper without it constantly applying tension to the parking brake mechanism on the caliper.

I did some reading and it looks like I also need the Mark VII transverse cable? The LTD transverse cable is 58.5" long and the Mark VII is 61.0". It seems like that extra 2.5" would be what I need to connect everything and make it so it is actually functional. Can anyone confirm that?
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Following. I only have one of my calipers hooked up with an E-brake cable from a Taurus that doesn't really fit but it works. If the Mark Vii cables are what we need to complete the 8.8 rear disc swap then at least I know what to look for.
    '79 Z7 w/sunroof, first car, 302, 5-speed, 8.8 Rear Disc
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

I bought new cables for the pedal, the one that goes to the cantilever, and the one that goes across the car with the adjustment bolt.
    To go to the calipers, i used a Lokar kit for Ford Explorer. Once it was all adjusted it works great.
    It didn't just bolt in, i had to shorten things a lot.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Yes, you need the transverse cable too.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I got my transverse cable at rock auto if i remember right
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Yes, you need the transverse cable too.
    So 91/92 Mark Vii cables are a direct install for our cars with rear discs?
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

FEP Senior Member

Roger that. I have the 91/92 Mark VII transverse cable on order. I'll update once I have it installed. Thanks for the help.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryzephyrz7 View Post
    So 91/92 Mark Vii cables are a direct install for our cars with rear discs?
    The rear cables are, which I have installed. I didn't know we needed the transverse cable as well. It looks the same as the F/Z/L/M, but about 2.5 inches longer which should be enough to get everything connected and adjusted.

If you are shopping around you'll need

Raybestos BC94587 (two of these, these are the rear cables that connect to the calipers)
    Raybestos BC93342 (one of these. This is the transverse cable that goes from the passenger rear cable to the adjuster)

These are all 91/92 Mark VII parts only. The earlier cars had different cables that will not work.
    Last edited by KevinVarnes; 08-31-2022 at 11:21 AM.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    The rear cables are, which I have installed. I didn't know we needed the transverse cable as well. It looks the same as the F/Z/L/M, but about 2.5 inches longer which should be enough to get everything connected and adjusted.

If you are shopping around you'll need

Raybestos BC94587 (two of these, these are the rear cables that connect to the calipers)
    Raybestos BC93342 (one of these. This is the transverse cable that goes from the passenger rear cable to the adjuster)

These are all 91/92 Mark VII parts only. The earlier cars had different cables that will not work.
    Awesome Info.

I looked them up on Rockauto and found that the rear cables BC 94587 are 1991 and 1992 Lincoln Mark Vii specific.

However, the transverse cable BC93342 can be used from:

Mark Vii 1984-1992
    Mark Viii 1993-1995
    Continental 1982-1996
    Last edited by mercuryzephyrz7; 08-31-2022 at 11:32 AM.
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

FEP Senior Member

That definitely could be. Thanks for the clarification. I think I recall LTDScott mentioned using parts from a Continental on one of his LTD's, but that was with the older Mark VII rear discs.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

I do remember that my cables were Raybestos brand

Im guessing that center cable would work on my 88 cougar as well? i have the turbocoupe rear end with the mark vii caliper cables already installed.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    Im guessing that center cable would work on my 88 cougar as well? i have the turbocoupe rear end with the mark vii caliper cables already installed.
    Taken directly off rockauto:

1988 Cougar 5.0 Transverse Cable
    0.125 diameter
    Cable fitting type, End 1 - Barrel
    Cable fitting type, End 2 - Barrel
    Cable Length - 56.250"
    Housing Length - 13.125"

1992 Mark VII Tranverse Cable
    0.125 diameter
    Cable fitting type, End 1 - Barrel
    Cable fitting type, End 2 - Barrel
    Cable length - 61"
    Housing Length - 13.125"

It appears everything is identical between the two except the MarkVII cable is roughly 4" longer, so I'm guessing it would probably work fine for you as well. Not positive though as I know the Tbirds/Cougars are a bit longer than the F/Zs
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

FEP Senior Member

I'm not sure on the T-Birds and Cougars, the stock transverse cable on those looks like it is a bit shorter than the original cable for my LTD (58.5"). It is cheap enough to try. How close is it with the Mark VII rear cables and the Thunderbird transverse cable? If you only need a couple of inches the LTD cable might work for you.

I can confirm that the Mark VII transverse cable and Mark VII rear cables is definitely the ticket for the F/Z/L/M. I just finished installing all three cables on my car and it fits and works great. After I got everything set in a pretty good spot the cable adjustment was almost in the exact same position as it was with the old drum cables that were on there.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire