Close

Default Shifter Handle Bushings

The original bushings in the shifter handle in my low mileage '84 20th Anniversary convertible went gooey. I cleaned up the sticky mess and I've been looking for a source for the replacement bushings in brass/bronze/aluminum/etc... But it seems that nobody is making or selling them anymore.

What have people been doing for this situation? Car only has 24,3xx miles and I have decided I don't want to break the seal and put an aftermarket shifter on it.

These are the rubber bushings that go between the two parts of the shifter handle right? All they do is dampen vibration. Isn't it just a rectangle with two holes for the bolts? Perhaps use two thin plastic or metal washers?
    Been a while since I had my shifter handle off to remember exactly what it looks like.
    Or, use this kit, but only the one gasket?
    https://lmr.com/item/LRS-8204T5G/Mus...T45-3650-82-04

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

The bolts are shouldered. The bushings were inserts that fit into the holes in the shifter handle. The shouldered bolts pass through the bushings providing NVH benefits presumably. Steeda used to make inserts and so did UPR. Both seem to have stopped making them.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tjm73 View Post
    The bolts are shouldered. The bushings were inserts that fit into the holes in the shifter handle. The shouldered bolts pass through the bushings providing NVH benefits presumably. Steeda used to make inserts and so did UPR. Both seem to have stopped making them.
    Yep, I have the Steeda bushings in my 89 Steeda. Also put them in my 84 SVO. You can eliminate the bushings and just use 2 bolts and nuts with nylocks. I did that on an SVO in the past.

Looks like there are a few sellers on ebay selling Pro 5.0 bushings.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

I'll check out eBay again. And if that comes up zeros I will try the wahers and bolts idea. Thanks.

FEP Power Member

Default Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by tjm73 View Post
    I'll check out eBay again. And if that comes up zeros I will try the wahers and bolts idea. Thanks.
    I believe I just used some washers to fit the shoulder screws.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I found the Pro 5.0 bushings on eBay for like $18 with tax and shipping.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I emailed UPR before I found the bushings on eBay. They emailed back this morning. They have some but limited availability.