Close

Default Transmission Shipping

What is a reasonable cost to send a trans from TX to PA? I was quoted a number using FedEx that it seems so low I may be getting played.

Read the stories about transmissions getting shipped by UPS that come destroyed..... My new TKX was returned for a new one by me driving the two days to do it.. ONe of the lazy apes at UPS had pile driven mine into the concrete floor mulitple times..... Jacksonville ups transfer is the WORST...
    IF you can ship with them build a crate of 2 X 4's and bolt up the transmission to it......

I just purchased a Model A engine, crank, cam, and flywheel and they used "ESTES" a real trucking company. Came boxed on a pallet and I think it was $250 from Kentucky to SC.
    Might try a company like that but you will probably have to palletize it.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
    What is a reasonable cost to send a trans from TX to PA? I was quoted a number using FedEx that it seems so low I may be getting played.
    Auto or manual? Big difference in shipping cost.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

It's a 4 speed.

I was quoted $68 to ship it roughly 1800 miles. If I could drive a hundred or two miles I'd buy it. It just doesn't feel right.

I shipped an AOD from Western CO (basically Utah) to Austin Tx using Freight Quote as the broker. Shipped through Fed Ex Freight. I dropped it off at the terminal here in CO and was delivered to a business actually in Round Rock TX with insurance and my total shipping cost was $275 one way.

I did build a wooden box and it was on a custom pallet so it could fork lifted as needed. Put warning labels, etc all over it stating DO NOT STACK ON TOP OF!!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

$68 seems really cheap in my experience. Just the weight and the overall size alone should be more than that in my experience. Be extra careful if you are buying and the shipper is doing the packaging. Pay EXTRA for insurance and insure it for full replacement value including any shipping costs. Well worth it if the transmission comes delivered destroyed.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Default transportation cases

Drove forklifts many hours moving many many different loads.
    Rough handling can damage any container as will crappy container, sloppy or underestimated packaging.
    Door to door direct expedited shipments via small van or something are very safe.

I store my RAD trans outside in a Rubbermaid 48 gal ActionPacker, fluid in, no bag.
    Takes up about 75% of the container. 'Inert' storage for years.
    Has room to store other car parts.
    Trans would survive shipping in it. Not letting the container get away.

Special purpose plastic molded containers out there can cost a lot vs wood.
    Could justify as part of the job. Not quite as bad as the printer/ink cost game.
    Cost of container, tare weight (heavy wood adds to ship cost) vs safe transport of item.
    Plastic will absorb more shock than wood. Good for alum castings.

Ideal:
    https://endural.com/transportation-cases/
    A band of plastic strapping in each of the lid grooves make it the bomb.
    This is the type OEM and remans use. Reusable many times. Small ones can be slid to some extent.
    Sometimes a hilo fork can poke loose a band or the container itself but they are tough and the load will survive intact.
    If handled too fast or rough, will fly off hilo forks.
    Hilo drivers should know this limitation and drive slow with plastic on the forks.
    Pallet jacks work fine if fork spacing matches pallet and pallet does not sit too low.
    Last edited by gr79; 08-24-2022 at 06:34 PM.

The guy either blocked me, ghosted me or got cancelled by FB. I probably dodged a bullet. Thanks to everyone for for the replies, valuable information for the next time.