Close

Thread: Roll cage

FEP Member

Default Roll cage

84 Ltd lx 347 t5
    What are my options on roll bars. I have looked at maximum motor sports. I don’t want anything extensive, just a 4 bar setup. I don’t want a bar right behind or above my head. Not concerned with backseat room.

There's a guy on a Facebook group that I'm in has a roll bar set up in his LTD. His name is Charlie D Benton, I'd post pictures but for some reason every time I try I get a message that it failed.

The group is https://www.facebook.com/groups/fordltdlx/

Quote Originally Posted by Asphalt View Post
    There's a guy on a Facebook group that I'm in has a roll bar set up in his LTD. His name is Charlie D Benton, I'd post pictures but for some reason every time I try I get a message that it failed.

The group is https://www.facebook.com/groups/fordltdlx/
    Sick pic on their main page
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

FEP Member

Thank you, I will look it up.

FEP Member

bgriff,

Here are the parts I used. They were made for a Fox Mustang but ended up fitting the 1981 Mercury Zephyr wagon surprisingly well. The major mod was to use a hydraulic bender at our local muffler shop to get the rear angled supports pointed downward toward the ground in the area just behind the rear seat. The seat and luggage area are usable and the whole thing is SCCA approved. I especially like the removable door bars (removed in the attached photo) and the belts attached to the horizontal bar just behind the top of the front bench seat.

Competition Engineering C3000 8 Point Roll Cage Strut Kit

Competition Engineering C3020 Roll Bar Bolt In Conversion Kit

Competition Engineering C3039 Main Rollbar Hoop

Competition Engineering C3185 Rear Formed Roll Bar Strut

Name:  Zephyr front pass seat web.jpeg
Views: 70
Size:  153.2 KB
    Name:  Zephyr rear floor carpet 1 web.jpeg
Views: 70
Size:  123.0 KB

DISCLAIMER: This was done 10 years ago, so numbers and pieces may have changed!

Hope this helps,

Tom

FEP Member

Tom,
    Nice set up, thanks for the info.