Close

Default SROD interchange

The SROD in my 79 302 PC needs to be replaced (or repaired if all else fails). What SROD is a direct replacement for my trans? Does the turbo car have an SROD and is it the same as the 302?

Our 4 cyl turbo Pace Car had the RAD 4-spd. It was the 4spd version of the T5 without and OD. Not the same bolt pattern.

You'll need to find one from a early Fox.

The SRODs were also used behind the 2.8 V6 and the 200 I6 cars. Neither had the same gearing though, and the input shafts were different. (I did run a V6 SROD behind a stock 80 302 after I changed the input shaft)
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Thanks for the reply.

Is there an easy way to determine 6 cylinder boxes from 302 boxes?

Bob, have you considered a t5 swap? Or you're wanting to keep this one all original?
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I also just saw that Rockauto sells a rebuild kit for the srod ($99) that includes synchros.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Quote Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Is there an easy way to determine 6 cylinder boxes from 302 boxes?
    The input shafts are longer, IIRC. I know it was on the one I used from the '79 2.8 V6. Other than that, they look the same.
    Might be some info on the tag, if there still is one.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

There were a very small number of turbo Pace Cars that came with a manual 4-speed thar was *not* the "RAD" Borg Warner, but it is unclear what that transmission was.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

My intent was to keep the car original. I'll pull the trans and determine where to go from there. Thanks to everyone for their reply.

My 83 with a 302, came from the factory with a SROD... When I was thinking about re using it I found a place in Redding CA. called Transparts warehouse.which had multiple rebuild kits for a SROD transmission.. I never purchased anything from them, as I took a different path with my car..
    A T5 uses a different bellhousing , so if you change to a T5 you will need a new bell... T5 bells are harder to find used nowadays and are almost the same price as a new one....

I " think " they are both 10 spline input shafts so you can use your same clutch disc... Not positive, its been a while since I looked at different options..

A tremec TKO or TKX will bolt up to a SROD bellhousing. You will need a new clutch disc ( 26 spline ) and probably a new driveline..

I ended up with a new TKX in my car, it bolted right up to the SROD bell... I installed a 9 inch rear, so my driveline had to be changed....

Hope this helps some........
    Last edited by Bentley; 08-14-2022 at 02:03 PM.

Bob H, where you at, lad?

Mike

Hmm, the good one in my basement won't help then.

Mike

But I appreciate the thought. Thanks.