Close

Default Restored TRX wheels

Beautifully restored original TRX wheels for a fox body. I have 6 wheels but one has ovaled out lug holes. I知 not sure why, but it was refinished like that. The other five are mint. Asking $1000??? No clue on what they sell for. They are better than new looking.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kckeener View Post
    Beautifully restored original TRX wheels for a fox body. I have 6 wheels but one has ovaled out lug holes. I知 not sure why, but it was refinished like that. The other five are mint. Asking $1000??? No clue on what they sell for. They are better than new looking.
    A few years ago, this may have sounded like a good deal. Today, if you need new tires for the rims? 500 dollars a-piece!! So your wheels are 1000, then the tires are 2000, for a grand total of $3000! Right now, the aftermarket is building a 16-inch TRX repro wheel, and most late model tires fit them. For just over 1000 a buyer can get wheels and tires, a complete set of four stock-looking TRX wheels. There you go!

Wow! Thanks a lot for the painful truth. I guess I’ll scrap them. Maybe someone will make an offer on them. I guess if they make tires someone is running them.

For someone that is doing a fully restored car, the original TRX will still have value. So I don't know that I would scrap them just yet. Not sure what the actual value might be, but if they are mint conditions, I would think they are worth more to someone with a restored Fox or restoring one then what you will get scrap value wise. Might need to advertise them on other platforms such as Hemmings, Ebay, etc. to find the right buyer. Worth a try if you don't need to get rid of the immediately. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yes, someone out there is looking for a pristine set for their car. Eventually you will meet this person if you are not in a rush to sell. Good luck!

If all else fails, GARAGE ART....
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

I could not get pictures here. Search this on Facebook marketplace. Lebanon PA. TRX wheels ford mercury foxbody refinished

Yes unfortunately I came to the same realization a few years ago. I had several TRX rims from my 80 cobra (not in mint condition) along with lots of center caps (also not the greatest) and were saving them as they were original to the car etc. Thought they might have some value.

When the repro TRX 16" came out it just made sense all around to go with them and 16" normal tires. I bought a set and they look awesome on the car and am very happy with them.

Got sick of storing the old rims and finally just took them in for scrap for around $20 each.

However if yours are mint then they might have some greater value to someone looking for all original but logically most would probably just get repro TRX now. Also I would think that original mint center caps are probably just as valuable and they can be shipped to buyers anywhere fairly cheap whereas the rims would be costly to ship.

They look nice. Do you have the center caps and lugs? If so, I知 interested in one for wall art.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

No. They go as a set.