Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Carport-find ‘78 Futura project

Stumbled upon this one-owner, 100% original, ‘78 Fairmont Futura. Even came with the original pink slip from 1978 when it was sold new here in San Diego!
    It needs trans work, but it runs! The plan is to adhere to a shoestring budget, keeping things simple and fun. The car is pretty intact, but I’m already thinking about partially gutting the interior of unnecessary weight. It will not be a dedicated track car by any means, but more of a weekend cruiser/canyon carver since living in the mountains of rural SoCal puts a lot of windy backroads within close proximity. I plan to keep the factory 302 in it alive as long as I can, and stick with the auto trans for now too (I think it’s a C4?) most of what I do to it will be geared towards getting it lighter, lower, and stiffer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice find!

Mike

I have always liked these. They can be made to be truly nice rides. Looks like a fun project ��. I’m old enough to remember Bob Glidden racing 1 of these back in the day. Good luck with it, and keep us posted with pictures.

Looks like a good find.

You mention getting rid of "unnecessary weight". There probably isn't much "extra" in that thing.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Thanks guys! And copy that, I’ll take more pics once I start tearing into it. I’m taking a little inspiration from some of the old nascar and road race fairmonts. I’m thinking dropped a couple inches, 15x7” or x8” steelies, some comfy PRP or Beard fixed back suspension seats, and maybe a 4-point roll bar to get the vintage racer look right. And by ‘unnecessary’ weight I mean the rear interior trim panels, carpet, headliner, rear seat, the heavy original front buckets, and maybe A/C system. So I may be selling some blue interior bits soon if anyones interested. At this point, the only interior stuff I want to retain for sure is the dash and door panels.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

I would imagine there will be people interested in the interior bits if they come out in good shape; I was able to sell all the back seat trim stuff from my Z7 a couple years ago. If you haven't already, find the "Ford Fairmont and Mercury Zephyrs 78-83" and the "Ford ~Fairmonts and Zephyrs 78-83 Classifieds" groups on FB to help find fellow F/Z enthusiasts that might want your take-off parts.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Nice find. F/Z cars are deceptively lighter than they appear to be and dropping weight is a challenge, but every bit helps. Looking forward to more pics.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

Lol I deleted Facebook years ago, but yeah I’ve considered joining again just to peruse marketplace for parts. And yeah most of my money is going towards parts for the other two project vehicles I have, which means go-fast parts for the fairmont are out of the budget. So I figure if I can’t make more power, might as well make the most of what it’s got by lightening it’s load

Haven’t had time to tear into it yet, but snapped a few pics for you guys.

Interior and engine bay really needs some cleaning, but it looks like an original A/C car with everything there. Still on the fence about keeping the A/C system and getting it working or not.

The car also came with a few spare parts and some NOS stuff, and an old 1/2” Snap-on socket. Some of these parts will be up for sale soon, also willing to trade for a good set of tail lights

Does anyone know where to find the correct oil dipstick for this thing? Or would the ones intended for later 5.0 fox mustangs work?

FEP Senior Member

I'm not well versed enough in SBF's to answer your second question, but here are two NOS examples:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254189860786

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324331779193
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by zachwabbit View Post
    Does anyone know where to find the correct oil dipstick for this thing? Or would the ones intended for later 5.0 fox mustangs work?

Early SBFs had a dipstick in the timing cover, later SBFs have the dipstick coming from the drivers side of the block about midway back. If you peek at your pan from underneath you should be able to see a spot where a dipstick would go on the drivers side.
    '79 Z7 w/sunroof, first car, 302, 5-speed, 8.8 Rear Disc
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

Also, if that is a passenger side mirror for the sport coupe (sedans/boxtops/wagons had slightly short mirrors) then I'd be interested.
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryzephyrz7 View Post
    Early SBFs had a dipstick in the timing cover, later SBFs have the dipstick coming from the drivers side of the block about midway back. If you peek at your pan from underneath you should be able to see a spot where a dipstick would go on the drivers side.
    Looking at the pic of the engine, the oil dipstick looks to be in the block and not the timing cover. I would expect the early Fox Mustang version to fit this engine as well.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Thanks for the links and info guys! And yes the dipstick is on the driver side of the block, towards the back. And the mirror is a driver’s side piece, but I’m willing to part with it for the right price.

Ah, I appreciate it but no thanks. Driver side mirror has always been a champ!
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

No worries!

Finally had a little free time away from work so I started removing interior parts and this thing is gross inside.. good thing I’m gutting it. I’m debating on removing the door panels and headliner too just because I can. I’ll be posting a for sale ad in the parts section soon if anyones interested in the stuff that isn’t completely destroyed

Ooopps nevermind, can’t post there yet. Oh well. If anyones interested in original interior panels, seats, seat belts, or other bits, feel free to message me for details.

I’m selling the NOS drivers door mirror and AM stereo as well. I could be convinced to remove the factory A/C setup if someone wants to pay enough for it

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

You probably just need to get some more posts under your belt before it'll let you post in the Classifieds; maybe the cut-off is 20, since you're up to 19 but apparently still can't post there?

And I'll once again suggest that the FB groups are a great place to give yourself more exposure for selling these sorts of parts. FEP is great, but the F/Z portion is kind of a side-show, and there are no dedicated F/Z classifieds, so F/Z parts kind of disappear amongst the more plentiful Mustang/Capri parts listings. (I have no vested interest in you posting in the FB groups, I just know it's helped me offload some of my parts.)

Thanks for the heads up Patrick. Yeah I think I’m under whatever the posting requirement is. And I don’t have Facebook anymore, but I’ve posted a few parts on OfferUp and so far the only things anyone wants are the AM/FM stereo and the AM stereo haha if no one shows any interest in the seats anytime soon they’ll probably go in the dumpster, the vinyl is torn and stained so they’re really only good for a base to recover

Forgive me if this has been asked already, but does anyone know the right way to remove the factory stereo from one of these cars? I’ve already removed the two chrome knobs and trim bezels, the nuts underneath, the faceplate, a 10mm nut underneath toward the left front corner of the ash tray, and two phillips screws underneath on the right side parallel with the ash tray. Also removed the glove box to try and get a better vantage point and no luck.

Does the radio have four little holes, two each on the left and right side on the front? If so, you need the Ford radio removal tool.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/remo...%3D0%26year%3D
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast