Close

Red face Now I have 2 of my Dad's old cars!

My Dad has always had the coolest and most interesting vehicles. He is the one that gave me my 1984 RS Capri on my birthday in 1990 and he bought the car new in 1984. He is loyal to no specific brand of car and just buys whatever he likes at the time and will usually pick the more interesting car over the more popular car.

Several years ago, he decided to sell his 1996 Pontiac Ram Air Trans Am WS6 Firebird that he custom ordered back in 1996 because he was getting too old to get in and out of it, this is the same reason he sold his 2008 Grand-Sport Corvette shortly before that. At the time I was flat broke when he sold the Firebird. I was going through some tough times money wise and had just sunk a bunch of cash into the Capri, so I could not afford to buy it off him unfortunately even though I really wanted the car bad! I went ahead and told one of my best friends he was thinking about selling it and I could talk my dad into giving it to him at a steal of a price, but I wanted my buddy to Promiss me that if he ever wanted to sell it, he would need to give me first shot at buying it back.

Fast forward to last week, my friend had some bad luck with the Firebird and blew out a head gasket (I Hope). He told me because it needs a bunch of additional work as well and that he doesn't want to spend the money to fix it that he was going to give me the car! I just came from the DMV and transferred the title over. Needless to say, THE WIFE IS THRILLED!

I am putting the Trans AM on hold until I fix and sell my boat and then I am going to dump some money into it to get it fixed as well as do some more work to the Capri. It will be awesome to have 2 really cool and very rare cars that both belonged to my father! It's kind of funny and sad that both of my cars are made by companies that are no longer in business LOL

Name:  32711.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  138.1 KB
    Not my TA but looks exactly like it

I am slowly running out of space at my house for cars!

Robert
    Last edited by Hemlock; 07-26-2022 at 09:58 PM.
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

I love that generation of the Trans Am. My brother had a few of them. Great job on getting the car.

Congrats on the Trans Am! My Dad bought a 1984 5.0/5spd Trans Am Black/Gold and I was able to drive it for few years after Dad's knees were too shot to work the clutch. Fun car! I unfortunately always lost to my buddy in his brother's 1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd that had a 4bbl intake, carb, headers, and maybe some gears. Beat me out of the hole and up to about 75 MPH every time, but after that it was all Trans Am!

Enjoy the T/A!!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

That's real cool. Keeping (or getting) the cars in the family and all. Good luck on the T/A.

Had a 6.6L T/A back in the day myself. Sold it to a friend of mine and he had a SD455 swapped into it and bracket raced it for years. Quite successfully too.
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTGuy View Post
    That's real cool. Keeping (or getting) the cars in the family and all.
    I have a story along those lines but it's a truck instead of a car. My dad bought the first new vehicle he ever owned in 1991, an F150. When he was diagnosed with terminal cancer in 1998 he made it clear to the family that I was to get his truck because I was a DIY type and he and I had often worked on various projects over the years. He said my siblings would just sell it but he knew I'd use it.

He was right about that. I still have the truck, and still use it. It's got just under 90k on the clock now. And my siblings are amazed that I kept it all these years. I still think of dad every time I get in it.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Great story there. I can see you never getting rid of that truck!
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)

Congrats, that's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    My Dad has always had the coolest and most interesting vehicles.
    Me too, except wait, it's the opposite. My dad NEVER has cool cars. (until his post-retirement '66 Mustang he has now).
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Very cool TA.............

I got my 88 5.0 vert from my Pop in 2002 and also got my 99 Mustang from my nephew after he got it from my Pop who bought it new in 99.

I really wish I had the cash when my Pop sold his 98 Mustang GT vert.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

FEP Senior Member

My pops has always had terrible cars. He is the antithesis to my car addiction.
    1985 Mustang Canadian Cobra
    It ain't Pretty but it doesn't care

Wow what great news, Hey when are we gonna get together and cruise the Capri's???? lol I have been so board Im building a LS3 Porsche 944 and talk about a pain
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYCAT View Post
    Wow what great news, Hey when are we gonna get together and cruise the Capri's???? lol I have been so board Im building a LS3 Porsche 944 and talk about a pain
    Hey Joe! I always liked the 944 and 928! That sounds like an interesting project! I almost bought a 1982 928S back in 1987. I bought a 1983 Turbo coupe Thunderbird instead. At the time I'm pretty sure that was the better choice LOL. I am currently working on the Capri. I have had a few problems with it over the last several months. The starter motor jammed up about 6 months ago and I got it loose, but it was making a little grinding noise when it would first engage which was bothering me. Then, I was driving it about 4 months ago and it acted like it ran out of gas when I was out on the road even though I had just filled the tank, so I had it towed back to the house. I took the starter out last weekend and took it to the local starter repair guy. I could have bought a new one but the starter that was in the car was a MCleod Racing high torque starter which they don't make any more and it was pretty expensive, so I opted to get it fixed instead. The guy made it look new! I'm going to install it today, hopefully it works as good as it looks LOL. I didn't want to try to trouble shoot the fuel problem with a bad starter and ruin the aluminum flywheel cranking it over and over again grinding, so I fixed the starter first. I am pretty sure the fuel problem is the fuel pump due to it being the original pump I installed back in 2007 when I first got the Capri running again. It's hard to believe it has been 15 years since I got my Capri back on the road! As soon as I get it running right, I will let you know, and we will get together and grab lunch and hang out. It has been a while since I have seen you, I think the last time was at the FFF in 2014?

Shoot me your number in a PM,
    Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

When I was 14 my dad offered to give me his car as my first car. Mom said no.
    It was a 1968 Cutlass Supreme.
    He gave it to my cousin who still has it.
    I asked if she'd consider selling it back/to me and she is thinking about it.
    Olive green model with I believe the '355 Rocket' motor? I know it still has the original un-rebuilt motor in it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    Hey Joe! I always liked the 944 and 928! That sounds like an interesting project! I almost bought a 1982 928S back in 1987. I bought a 1983 Turbo coupe Thunderbird instead. At the time I'm pretty sure that was the better choice LOL. I am currently working on the Capri. I have had a few problems with it over the last several months. The starter motor jammed up about 6 months ago and I got it loose, but it was making a little grinding noise when it would first engage which was bothering me. Then, I was driving it about 4 months ago and it acted like it ran out of gas when I was out on the road even though I had just filled the tank, so I had it towed back to the house. I took the starter out last weekend and took it to the local starter repair guy. I could have bought a new one but the starter that was in the car was a MCleod Racing high torque starter which they don't make any more and it was pretty expensive, so I opted to get it fixed instead. The guy made it look new! I'm going to install it today, hopefully it works as good as it looks LOL. I didn't want to try to trouble shoot the fuel problem with a bad starter and ruin the aluminum flywheel cranking it over and over again grinding, so I fixed the starter first. I am pretty sure the fuel problem is the fuel pump due to it being the original pump I installed back in 2007 when I first got the Capri running again. It's hard to believe it has been 15 years since I got my Capri back on the road! As soon as I get it running right, I will let you know, and we will get together and grab lunch and hang out. It has been a while since I have seen you, I think the last time was at the FFF in 2014?

Shoot me your number in a PM,
    Robert
    well after about almost a year I got my 347 built and it drives hard but as soon as I get the 944 0n the ground I need to pull out the trans on the capri as I have a new light weight flywheel to go in.
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009