Close

Default 86 radio removal

so ive ran every post i could fine but no where does it tell you how to remove the damn floor heater vents. any idea about to just rip them right out.

Banned

I think they're held in with screws on top

Neither here nor there

Some say you can remove the floor vent behind the radio, I had found the screws and removed them, yet, that vent would NOT come out no matter what I did.

I loosened the whole dash to get it in/out, I gave up with that vent.

FEP Senior Member

You can pull all of the screws you can reach and that lower vent will still not come out. When I got my car someone had already tried to remove the vent and they broke it. I am about to put a stock radio back in my car and I have to go through all of this.
    1986 Notchback, Recently repainted Light Regatta Blue(3J) and getting put back the way it should be. It had a 3.8 and a C5. Now it has a 5.0 and a T5.

got the damn thing out finally, had to seperate the floor vent and push them back as far as i could go . Tilted the radio up wards towards the top of the dash and slide it out side ways. now just have to figure out the wiring

Remove radio bracket. Tilt back of radio up. lift up till front of radio clears and move it out towards pass. floor pan. done 10 min.

^^^ shouldn't take even 10 minutes. I dont know why everyone's had such trouble with this. its always seemed like one of the easier jobs. the hardest part for me was getting the radio off the brackets in there.. which I've since removed and not looked back, aftermarket head units always seem to mount just fine with the sliding bracket provided

Neither here nor there

I will say that some cars seem to be easier then others, I have had my dash out before so I know it pretty well.

It still was a bitch to get mine out and wouldn't just slide out, there wasn't any room. Now I don't know if being an A/C car or not has anything to do with it. I couldn't get it back far enough to slide it out easily, I had to loosen the lower part of the dash and remove a bracket up under the drivers side.

The 10 min part for me was getting the bracket off the radio.

I think it also depends which radio unit you have. My premium sound electronic unit is probably the biggest of what Ford offered from the factory and there was nothing easy about getting it in and out for repairs. Mine had to come out on the drivers side after loosening up either the pedal assembly or steering column...can't remember which but there is no way it was coming out on the passenger side.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

When I did it, I ended up having to loosen the bottom of the dash and while moving the radio all the way back, turn it and take it out the driver's side. I had to have my friend help me also.
    1986 Mustang GT T-top, 5 speed manual- Daily driver

Removing the HVAC diverter has never been an issue for me. Did it rather easily in an '82, '83 and '85. Is '86 different or the same? Perhaps I should make a video :-)
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

FEP Power Member

I am convinced that Ford set a radio on the ground in the assembly shop, and then built a car around it.

Now THAT ^^^ was funny!
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

That's not far from the truth. The entire dash assembly, including the radio, main wiring harness,
    hvac controls, dash vents, and instrument cluster, were all installed as a single unit.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

I was doing some browsing on Crutchfield.com and eBay for a new deck and speakers for the dash and hatch area last night.

I figured it would be pretty easy....Tape up and leave all the original wiring there, run all new stuff, bubble wrap and save the original speakers and deck for later.

That was, until I started looking at this thread and other instructions for removing the factory "Electronic/Premium" deck.

Loosening the dash, removing impossible vents, pedal assembly, steering column... etc...WTF?

Is it really that difficult to remove the unit? There's folks in here saying 10 minutes and others claiming the entire car was build like a fortress around the radio LOL.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 07-13-2023 at 07:29 AM.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

FEP Power Member

I would reuse the factory wiring and get adapters for the aftermarket head unit & speakers, Crutchfield usually provides that. That's what I did on my 86 Tbird. There were a couple of speaker connectors that I had to find on my own, but they are out there.
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Quote Originally Posted by HAD85B4 View Post
    I am convinced that Ford set a radio on the ground in the assembly shop, and then built a car around it.
    Here are a few assembly line pics. The dash with most of the components were installed as a unit. The radio was in the dash when it was installed. The one pic shows the guy installing the components into the dash before it is in the car. (even tho the radio wasnt in yet in the pic)

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  119.3 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  148.4 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  137.8 KB
    1981 Capri "Black Magic" I6 (sold)
    1985 Mustang GT (sold) Oxford white T-Top
    1985.5 Mustang SVO 9L
    1986 Mustang SVO 1D

Cool pics
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I've removed and installed several aftermarket radios in 4-eye Foxes, although it has been a while.

While I wouldn't call it a 10 minute job (Full disclosure...I was super careful, not in a hurry, usually had to do some wiring adaptations of some kind, and I can be a little ocd about some things anyway), I never had to remove any floor vents or pull the dash loose. Yes, the radio(s) had to be manipulated under the dash to squirrel them out, but they all came out and went in.... from the driver's side, iirc.

And I agree with ZEN50, try to find adapter harnesses. That way you don't need to hack up the original factory wiring. Crutchfield used to offer them. Metra is another company that made harness adapters (that may be what the Crutchfield adapters were actually, idk).
    1985 Mustang GT (Mothballed...Desired restomod parts acquired...Top of my project list for my 2024 retirement!)