Close

Default Creative fuel line ideas?

Since I am not going to use the stock carb on my 83 5 liter mustang, I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on a fuel line from the mechanical fuel pump to the carb besides a threaded barb and rubber hose?
    thanks....

FEP Senior Member

Not very creative, but something like this? https://lmr.com/item/LRS-MUC1028SS/1...QaAoZdEALw_wcB
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

thanks for the response, but that will not work with the carburetor I am using.... I was thinking some unique fittings and braided hose? Just wondered if anyone else more creative than I had built something.....

I don't know that it's all that creative, but here is how I did mine. Cut the stock steel line and ran rubber hose across to feed side of carb. Not fancy by any means, but it works and you can't really see it once distributor/plug wires and air cleaner are installed (running stock air cleaner now). In my grand delusions, I'd eventually like to do it all up in AN fittings and braided hose, but it's almost a waste since no one except me would see it when I remove the air cleaner.

Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Thanks for the picture.... I was hoping to do something a little fancier, some braided fuel line or ????? Like I said, I am not very creative and hoping to use someones idea on mine.....
    More pics and ideas please.....

With todays ethanol make sure any braided line is lined with PTFE. Personally I dislike fuel lines, wiring and hoses that distract from the clean look of the rest of the motor - carb, valve covers etc.. And I find braided lines collect dirt and grease. Read a really good article on fuel lines by LARS on the corvette forum for my 66 coupe and now always run 3/8 all steel lines using double flares and AN fittings with short sections of PTFE hose using AN hose barbs at the tank to pump. Durable, easy to clean and non intrusive visually.
    This is a similar LARS set up.
    Name:  E47BBECD-A43A-41D5-8416-740D8721B1F2.jpeg
Views: 163
Size:  96.0 KB
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT
    Popular Hot Rodding Project Car '83/84

1983 Capri 331 ci, TKO600

More pictures of your C2 car please.........
    I might buy a nice flaring tool and bend a steel line from the fuel pump ( mechanical on the engine) to the Carb....

I restomodded it to do Hot Rod Magazine Power Tours - 10 long hauls 3000 miles to 7 cities in 7 days. 66 coupe with 67 stinger hood. six tail lights, 383 stroker 430hp 460 tg, 3 inch side pipes, tko600 5 spd, rack n pinion steer, fiberglass springs Fr/Rr w/tubular a arms, 245 Michelins on 17x 8 Vintage Wheels, Recaro seats and custom Autometer dash. Pic from Power Tour

Name:  4eye Ray.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  202.3 KB
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT

Beautiful vette! And I normally don't care for them at all.

I second the idea of running hard lines. It is a much cleaner look and is the most durable, reliable setup. Get the proper tools to make solid connections whichever method of piping that you use. Fuel lines are about reliable, leak-free function.
    Last edited by slow84lx; 07-30-2022 at 12:39 PM.

Thx for compliment. I’m also big on running a return line while replumbing. Solved vapor lock issues on those 100 degree days in 6000 car lines waiting for traffic light to change!
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT

Killer vette
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Thanks for the pic.... Beautiful car..... 66-67 my favs... LIke 200 million other people......
    At 67 years old, I can tell you many stories of almost getting one...
    Was the rack and pinion a bolt in kit someone sells??
    Unmolested rear wheel wells... How did you fit the wheels and tires?? Friend screwed up his 63 with 7" rally wheels way back when..
    Last edited by Bentley; 07-31-2022 at 06:35 PM.

The RnP was a kit sold thru Vette Brake Products - now defunct - but the owner of Steeroids told me it was a duplicate of his kit. I think Van Steel offers too.
    Im guessing your friend might have been using 15 inch rallyes. My 8 inch wheels are 17s which helped me backspace the wheel hoops to go around the spring ends. Although not altered externally my rear fender lips are slightly shaved 1/2 back at their peak and then reinforced with additional glass. No mods to front.
    Car handles great on highway, twisties and autocross. FYI - I am 67 so its not too late!
    Steve

1983 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Drivunn View Post
    Im guessing your friend might have been using 15 inch rallyes. My 8 inch wheels are 17s which helped me backspace the wheel hoops to go around the spring ends. !
    . Yes, I believe they were 15's.... No such thing as 17's then......LOL