Close

Default Stock rear control arm bushings?

I'm swapping an 8.8 into a 79. Since I have everything out, I figured I would clean, paint, and box-in the stock control arms. Bushings are in pretty rough shape, so I'd like to replace those too. I'm having problems finding them in-stock.

Have any of you recently replaced your stock bushings? Or should I just go ahead and upgrade to urethane? Aftermarket control arms? This is just going to be a basic going-to-town rig, so I don't particularly need a performance upgrade.

I do already have a new set of stock bushings that go in the diff housing.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

I found the complete upper kit on Rockauto. They don't appear to have the lowers. They only have the full prothane kit. I may just order both. Install the urethane bushings in the lca's and stock rubber bushings in the uppers. The local parts stores don't have anything in stock except the upper (diff housing set only) and they can order the prothane complete set. I didn't know the stock bushings weren't available locally, or I would have ordered everything ahead of time.
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 07-16-2022 at 07:00 PM.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Maximum Motorsports actually recommends using the factory UCAs with the stock rubber bushings and rubber diff housing bushings. The reason given is the stamped UCAs can flex to account for a slight length change when the 4-link articulates which prevents the bind inherent to this suspension. Then they recommend a upgraded LCAs and LCA bushings. For a "feller's goin-ta-town rig" use the Upper kit you got off Rock, rubber diff housing bushings, and maybe some UPR or other inexpensive LCAs that already have urethane bushings.

My 2 pennies...
    1985 GT 5.0 CFI / AOD
    All Original

Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    Maximum Motorsports actually recommends using the factory UCAs with the stock rubber bushings and rubber diff housing bushings. The reason given is the stamped UCAs can flex to account for a slight length change when the 4-link articulates which prevents the bind inherent to this suspension. Then they recommend a upgraded LCAs and LCA bushings. For a "feller's goin-ta-town rig" use the Upper kit you got off Rock, rubber diff housing bushings, and maybe some UPR or other inexpensive LCAs that already have urethane bushings.

My 2 pennies...
    Great info. I have read the Maximum Motorsports piece on the stock uppers/bushings and have followed that suggestion on other cars. I was ready to bite the bullet and grab a new set of aftermarket lowers, but a buddy here in town gave me some stockers in great condition. So I'll stick with that for now and see how it goes. I don't plan on giving her the beans like I do my other cars. It's literally just a cruiser/driver/grocery mobile.

The 7.5 rear would have been fine, as well...but I had to pull it for some cleanup underneath and the brakes/brake lines were shot. I had a couple extra 8.8 diffs in the garage that I've been tripping over for a couple years, so I'm currently rebuilding one to go back in place of the open 7.5.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

Read where the stock rear lower control arms are a real weak point in the suspension... People say they can twist and bend??
    Pulling my 7.5" in my 83 soon and installing a ready made bolt in 9 inch with steeda lowers and stock uppers.......Its overkill for my grocery getter but its what I wanted to do.....

I changed my lowers a long time ago with ones that had urethane. Have never had wheel hop since. Stock uppers.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Same-ish here.
    I have poly on all but the diff housing - those are stock rubber. All four arms are aftermarket tubular. Lowers and back of uppers have 3-piece poly bushings to also help with reducing potential bind, but respond and handle quite well. For a four link

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"