Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Picked up some used mufflers and tailpipes. Good condition for the price. Ordered hangers from LMR. Hopefully everything fits and works lol.
    We'll see once the parts come in.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Default Some help? Lol

So i was able to mount the muffler hangers. They fit, as do the mufflers. Just mocking things up right now.

Name:  MHdZ2X.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  129.0 KB

Tailpipe hangers, i'm at a loss. The drivers side had a stock mounting hole for the hanger, but the hanger on the tailpipe is too far forward. I think i'll just try and move the hanger bracket forward, so no big deal there i hope.

Name:  56Z75N.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  97.7 KB

Now the bad news- the passenger side has no provision for a hanger at all.

Name:  tqLfIv.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  92.0 KB

Not only that, it looks like the gas filler tube and the gas tank itself might be in the way of mounting the pass side tailpipe. Tank is a 86 LTD wagon tank. I'm going to try a couple of things, dropping the tank and trying to move the tank over as far as i can.
    Do i need to use a different tank/filler tube to run dual exhaust on this car? Now i am reading that wagons did not have dual exhaust?
    Thinking that over axle dumps might be the way to go, i don't want to redesign the entire fuel system at this point hahaha

Any advice is appreciated!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

FEP Senior Member

Are the tail pipes from a Mustang? I haven't looked that closely at the passenger side rear of my wagon, but no, the wagons never received dual exhaust. It was all that little 3.8 could do to fill up the single 2" tailpipe.

A little late for what you are doing, but I had always had thoughts of doing a single 3" system on my car when it comes time to upgrade the engine. That passenger side situation might be good enough reason to push me over the edge to go that direction instead of duals.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

On pass side (again on an LTD), we used HD hex head sheet metal screws, right into the frame,
    forward of the gas fill.

86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Thanks for the responses!
    OX1- thanks for that pic, i was thinking about using a 1/4-20 nutsert and bolt but that works too.

Almost looks like your frame it set up for at least one. That would be best if you can swing it.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

So does the pass side tailpipe run above the filler tube? Or below it?
    Looks like i need to flatten the flange on the gas tank to make room?

I see it looks like it runs below it. Any way to run it above the fill tube?

Don't think so. Too much in the way and then literally rubbing on frame or gas fill. (again, on LTD anyway).
    Not even sure why you would want to.

Ok thanks. Really appreciate the picture as well. I would like to tuck the tailpipes up out of the way so they are not visible. It looks like i can tuck it up easily on the drivers side. But the gas tank and filler tube on the pass side is preventing this.

I'll post a pic of my setup tomorrow.

I am using an LTD wagon tank. Does anyone know whether there are differences between the LTD wagon tank, and say an LTD sedan tank? I do not mind buying a new tank if it will fix my problem. Wagon tank hangs way out on the pass side.
    Thanks

You're using the wagon tank in a non-wagon?

The F-16's are the sedan tanks and the F-2's are the wagon tanks.HERE
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Ok thanks. Really appreciate the picture as well. I would like to tuck the tailpipes up out of the way so they are not visible. It looks like i can tuck it up easily on the drivers side. But the gas tank and filler tube on the pass side is preventing this.

I'll post a pic of my setup tomorrow.

I am using an LTD wagon tank. Does anyone know whether there are differences between the LTD wagon tank, and say an LTD sedan tank? I do not mind buying a new tank if it will fix my problem. Wagon tank hangs way out on the pass side.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    You're using the wagon tank in a non-wagon?

The F-16's are the sedan tanks and the F-2's are the wagon tanks.HERE
    Thanks so much Chuck! I went with the tank that fit my fuel pump hanger, it's a wagon hanger.
    really appreciate the advice, i'll get the F-16 and see how that goes. Will my fuel pump hanger still fit?
    Looks like B or C are my choices.
    thanks
    Last edited by massacre; 08-02-2022 at 08:53 PM.

Looks like i can find an A but not B or C
    need to look into this a little more
    thanks so much for the info

I'm guessing C so either modify my tank or just go fuel cell even though i don't want to.
    Last edited by massacre; 08-02-2022 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Looks like i can find an A but not B or C
    need to look into this a little more
    thanks so much for the info

I'm guessing C so either modify my tank or just go fuel cell even though i don't want to.
    A is carbed, B is the 84-85 EFI tank (used in the bulk of the LTD LX cars)

RockAuto has the F16C (That's where I got mine) HERE

I needed the 86 V6 pump/sender assy to make it work though (Look at my build thread). The wagon and the sedan pump assys are not the same.
    pump assy
    Last edited by Chuck W; 08-02-2022 at 09:54 PM.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Not sure that tank will fit my car, with the deep spare tire well.

I haven't seen the trunk area of an F/Z in a LONG while.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

F2C in my Fairmont.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    F2C in my Fairmont.

Mike
    Thanks Mike! I have the F2C tank now. Do you have dual exhaust?

2.3T, 3" single.

Could you do a crossover in front of the gas tank/over the axle, and run the second exhaust parallel to the driver-side?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    2.3T, 3" single.

Could you do a crossover in front of the gas tank/over the axle, and run the second exhaust parallel to the driver-side?

Mike
    I'd rather not, i may just dump the exhaust behind the axle. Or maybe i can figure something out, gotta think on it a minute.
    Thanks for all the helpful replies, really appreciate it!

https://www.stinger-performance.com/...-tailpipes-2.5

Stinger has always been good about answering questions; ask about the passenger-side/fuel filler tube fit.

Mike

Thanks Mike, i'll call them and ask. Much appreciated!

I have the wagon tank in my dual exhaust car as well. It's the same as the F/Z sedan/coupe tank from '78-81. '82-86 sedan tank is different and will not fit a '79 Zephyr without cutting out the spare tire well.

I pulled a solution for the tailpipe hangers out of my ass. I'll get some pics.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Mine already had the hanger brackets welded on where they would be on a Mustang, so I really didn't have much choice but to put them here. That's the bumper support you can see to the left

Here you can see where they were extended. They had to be extended before the mufflers too.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Thank you so much! This helps a lot. Really appreciate it!
    My muffler hangers seem to be OK, it's the tailpipe hangers that I'm having trouble with. Actually it's only the pass side, drivers side is fine.
    I see that the hangers were modified, i can hopefully definitely do something similar.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast