Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Oops, that was a little unclear. I meant the tailpipes had the hangers welded on.

One issue I've run into too is depending on how you have the tailpipes adjusted forward/back or rotationally, the right side one will touch the gas tank. But if you try and get everything straight and the mufflers where they're supposed to be, there is a gap. Mine still have to be tweaked to get them far enough away from the frame rail over the rear axle. It's a process, haha.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Oops, that was a little unclear. I meant the tailpipes had the hangers welded on.

One issue I've run into too is depending on how you have the tailpipes adjusted forward/back or rotationally, the right side one will touch the gas tank. But if you try and get everything straight and the mufflers where they're supposed to be, there is a gap. Mine still have to be tweaked to get them far enough away from the frame rail over the rear axle. It's a process, haha.
    Thanks, that's what i am learning.
    I have the mufflers mounted, flow tubes from X to mufflers extended and welded up and painted and mounted as well. Seems pretty solid.
    I attempted to mount the tailpipes, but need to remove the flow tubes first to move the mufflers forward towards the front of the car to get the tailpipes to slide into the mufflers. I'm doing this on my back on jackstands and i really need to get the car up on a lift to make it easier and give me more room.
    I have a couple friends with lifts but they are kinda far away. Once i get the car street legal i can drive it to a lift and then start messing with it.

It looks like i can get the pass tailpipe to fit, but it is going to be tight for sure. I want the tailpipes to tuck up out of sight but that might not be possible.
    I started the car and it definitely sounds good but it is still pretty loud.
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Yeah, I don't have a hoist either. I hate people who do.

I'm pretty happy with how my tailpipes sit. Pretty lucky considering they're intended for a different car, haha.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

That is the opposite of what i am looking to do, but it looks like i will have to do something similar. Looks better on your car than it would on mine tho
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

So i finally ended up getting the tailpipes on, i couldn't tuck them up as much as i wanted to, but they actually look fine.
    Took me a long time working on my back, having 8 jackstands under the car doesn't leave much room. Hammered the flange on the gas tank which allowed enough room for the pass side pipe. Mounting the hanger was a pain but it seems ok so far. Once the car is street legal i can take it to a buddy's lift and re-make the flow tubes from the X to mufflers. Not sure how i muffed up the measurements, but i cut too short and had to clamp in some adapters. It looks like pure crap now but it works. Exhaust is my least favorite type of automotive work.

Good to hear about the progress! That is really frustrating when you cut too short.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Thanks! Yeah i was so pissed lol

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    SExhaust is my least favorite type of automotive work.
    Amen brother. Glad you at least got it roadworthy.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Quote Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
    Amen brother. Glad you at least got it roadworthy.
    thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123