Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Zephyr Exhaust Questions

I need to put some exhaust on my Zephyr. Right now i am using stock 03-04 Cobra exhaust manifolds, and a BBK catted Xpipe from a 2001 Mustang GT. I need to modify the X pipe slightly as it is angled downwards and is too low.

My question is regarding flow pipes/mufflers/hangers.
    I did a decent search on here, but one thing that is definitely missing is pictures.

My car was a 7.5" rear/single exhaust car. I swapped in an 8.8" and also changed the rear brake line over to the later "dual exhaust style" so no issues there.
    My question is regarding the increased length of the flow tubes from the X pipe to the mufflers, i read it is about 5". Can anyone confirm?
    Also, can regular Fox Mustang hangers be used, and where would the hanger mounts be located? I will be using dumps so i don't need the tailpipe hangers, just the muffler hangers.

if anyone has pics of their hangers, or compatible hangers from LMR or similar, or pics of the muffler hanger locations, that would really help me out, thanks!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

I can't help with the specific mounting questions, but I'm interested to see what others have to say, as it's something I'll have to address on mine someday.

If you look up the difference in wheelbase for the Mustang vs. the F/Z you'll see 100.1" vs 105.5", so there's the "about 5in" that you've seen before.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

Thanks for the speedy response!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

It's been so long since I was under the '80 Z7 I had, but with any of the other non-M/C Foxes, the muffler hangers have all been in the same spot on the stock locations. Same was for my current LTS. I used an aftermarket muffler, so I had to add my hanger on the muffler, but just used the stock stuff (bought replacement Mustang parts actually) for the body-side hardware.

I used to run take-off 94-98 Mustang V8 tail pipes (extended at the back) on the Fox Tbirds/Cougars, and I didn't have to add any additional hangers for the muffler (or tail pipe) when I installed them. (This was single exhaust applications)

The wheelbase difference in the F/Z over the M/C is 5", and that is all in the floorpan. The kick-up under the rear seat (and in front of the mufflers) is 5" farther back than in a M/C.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

+/- 5 inch looks about right, for an LTD anyway.
    Pic here of extensions used, many moons ago when we first put
    a JY 5.0 in it.

Used Stang MAC 2.5 exh and only had to lengthen
    as shown (and tail pipe tips to lengthen them slightly).

86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Thank you Chuck and Ox1!
    I really appreciate the info and especially the picture. Means a lot. That looks really good BTW.

I have to put my car back up in the air next week, i'll check to see where the hanger mounts are. I'll probably get some hangers from LMR and see where that gets me. I might be better off getting the pipes and mufflers separately since i have to extend them anyways.

anyone else is also free to share their setup and/or advice. I'm looking at different mufflers now.

FEP Senior Member

Not sure if this is helpful at all or not, but here is the exhaust from the muffler back on my '85 wagon. The hanger for the muffler is just in front of the rearend before the pipes go up and over it. Shot is taken from the rear of the car looking forward. In the first picture the driver's side axle tube is directly to the top. The second picture circled in blue is the rearmost tailpipe hanger.

Name:  IMG_2118.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2119.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  46.2 KB
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Thank you Kevin!
    Very helpful, really appreciate it

I would definitely measure exactly how much longer you need the flow tubes to be, I tried to do the about 5” on my exhaust and it made the mufflers about 2” too short and caused tons of stress on the rubber hangers. Also you can just order some LMR muffler hangers and just bolt them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Quote Originally Posted by wdanison43103 View Post
    I would definitely measure exactly how much longer you need the flow tubes to be, I tried to do the about 5” on my exhaust and it made the mufflers about 2” too short and caused tons of stress on the rubber hangers. Also you can just order some LMR muffler hangers and just bolt them on.

Excellent, thanks for the heads up!
    I'll definitely mock everything up on the car first, really appreciate that. Thanks also for the recommendation on the LMR hangers.

So are these the hangers that i need to get?

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-5263K/musta...nger-kit-86-93

Or would i be better off getting this?

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-CATHNGR-K/H...-Mustang-86-93

I might be better off with the complete kit, even though a hundred bucks seems kinda steep.

Thanks!

Either would work. What mufflers you using? They have the mounting bracket on them?
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I haven't picked the mufflers yet. I guess mufflers that have the brackets might be easier.
    Does anyone know of mufflers with the brackets that sound good? I was looking at this kit, because of price and simplicity.

https://www.holley.com/products/exha...r/parts/817574

Nvrmnd, looks like those welded on hangers on the mufflers are facing the wrong way.

I'll keep looking.

Looks like rockauto has some dynomax mufflers with the place to mount the brackets, but they are 2" and i'm looking for 2-1/2".

I've decided that i want tail pipes. Dumps are cheap but don't want to breathe exhaust.
    Given all of the great info i received here, it might be better to piece it together?

Default Zephyr Exhaust Questions

Depends on how much extra stuff you want laying around if you don’t end up using everything from the kits.

I would just order up a catback that comes with tail pipes and the muffler hangers to start with. You may be able to use the tailpipe hangers, or it may be easier to just fab up some hangers and weld them on.

Definitely go with the tailpipes though. And I will say that the added pipe required for the F/Z or LTD/M can really mellow out some aggressive mufflers.

Last edited by wdanison43103; 07-14-2022 at 04:40 AM.
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Looks like rockauto has some dynomax mufflers with the place to mount the brackets, but they are 2" and i'm looking for 2-1/2".
    Summit carries some 2-1/2" Mustang tail pipes. I could find some on ebay/Amazon, but either they were over-priced, or not in stock. Don't remember the brand off-hand, but they were like $85 each. I just needed one for my LTS. It fit really nice.

I bought a "GT" pipe (turned down end) and a length of 2-1/2" stainless tubing. I then cut it off after the rear hanger location and cut the stainless piece to fit how I wanted.

I did the same thing for the exhaust on the old '80 Z7 I had.

You can pretty much do what you want with the tail pipes. Extend to a slash tip, like I did. Extend them a bit, but keep the turn downs at the bumper. Or dump them out behind the rear wheels, like they do on some of the F/Z's. You'd need a couple elbows to do that though.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Thanks for the heads up Chuck! I'll check out Summit for mufflers.
    Did yours come with the V-band ends or did you weld those on?

Thanks for the heads up Chuck! I'll check out Summit for mufflers.
    Did yours come with the V-band ends or did you weld those on?
    I got the tailpipe from Summit. The rest of the bits came from ebay or Amazon. The muffler is just a Dynomax piece.

I added the V-band stuff. I didn't want to mess with U-bolt or those annoying band clamps, and the V-band sets weren't that expensive.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Do you mind sharing where you got the V-bands? Thanks

Do you mind sharing where you got the V-bands? Thanks
    The flanges are a weld-on item, but these are what I used. Looks like the price went up a touch in the past few months.

CLAMPS
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Thanks for the info, was looking for the flanges. Much appreciated

Thanks for the info, was looking for the flanges. Much appreciated
    The link is a full kit of a clamp with mated flanges.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck W View Post
    The link is a full kit of a clamp with mated flanges.
    Ahh, OK sorry I see that now. Thanks so much!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast