Close

Thread: Door Hinges?

Default Door Hinges?

Hello,

Just wondering if door hinges are the same between the Mustangs and Fairmont/Zephyr?
    I have a bad lower drivers hinge, i bought a hinge pin kit but might want to just swap in a new hinge instead.
    Would a hinge from say LMR fit my car?

Thanks for any info/advice and have a nice day
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

I'm not sure, although after looking around I did find that TRQ makes new hinges. I found them on a couple different sites. 1AAuto has them with 22 reviews that seem positive listed for a 1979 Fairmont, however when I pull up 1979 Mustang those hinges don't show up so maybe they are different. Either way, the price seems reasonable and I've had good luck with 1AAUto stuff (I don't buy their struts but lots of other items I've bought from them for various cars). If you feel inclined give them a try and post your review on here, because I know most of us have saggy doors too!

https://www.1aauto.com/ford-mercury-...roduct-reviews
    '79 Z7 w/sunroof, first car, 302, 5-speed, 8.8 Rear Disc
    '68 Cougar 302 4v Auto
    '84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
    '03 F250 V10
    '04 Volkswagen Golf 2.0
    '07 Hyundai Entourage

FEP Senior Member

A quick search seems to indicate that they are different, but how I do not know. Surprisingly you can buy new Chinese aftermarket hinges for them. Any reason why you don't want to rebush and pin the originals? Would save having to realign and probably repaint the new parts to get them to match.

I don't know if I would trust it implicitly, but this has an interchange at the bottom of the page. You'd have to check the other three hinges to verify.
    https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-95824-925-068.aspx
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

According to the RockAuto application cross-reference on the F/Z door hinge, they are not the same as the Mustangs. Looks like they're the same as the 83/86 L/M, as well as the trucks and a few other early non-M/C Fox cars.

My LTS had bad bushings in the DF door hinge, as well as a worn hole in one of the upper bushing spots. I swapped a spare hinge from the replacement doors and just did the bushings/pins. All good.
    Last edited by Chuck W; 07-08-2022 at 05:30 PM.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

Great info guys, thanks for the speedy responses! Maybe I'll try the pin first and see how that goes
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.